Verizon wireless glitch converts users to paperless billing

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon wireless glitch converts users to paperless billing
By Robert L. Mitchell
December 30, 2013 11:13 AM
If you upgraded a Verizon Wireless phone at a store over the holidays you might want to check your paperless billing settings. According to Verizon, a bug in the wireless carrier's systems automatically enrolls customers in its paperless billing option when changes are made from any of its stores. Both Verizon tech support and local store representatives confirmed the problem. An online customer support representative said Verizon Wireless' IT organization is working to resolve the problem.

If you are already signed up for the paperless billing option you won't notice anything amiss. But I didn't sign up for it -- and don't want it. Why? Because while U.S. mail is guaranteed delivery, email delivery is a best effort system. If your emailed bill doesn't come through due to some technical glitch, or because it ended up in a spam filter somewhere, you're still responsible for paying the bill -- plus any late fees or penalties.

Unfortunately for me, I had to make several different account changes at the store that triggered the conversions over the last two weeks, and I had to go back twice to remedy the problem. I am still waiting to see if a third account change, made over the weekend at my local store, triggers another reset to paperless billing.

Fortunately, Verizon's systems also give you plenty of notice of what's happening. I received an email notification and a notification by mail.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/wire...onverts-users-paperless-billing#disqus_thread

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Auto pay is the way to go. No worries, examine the bill 3 weeks before its due, but choices are nice so whatever works for ya.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Auto pay is the way to go. No worries, examine the bill 3 weeks before its due, but choices are nice so whatever works for ya.

I'm not a fan of autopay for anything. I like to see the bill then submit the payment.. Not have the company mess up and take my money since I said they could then have to fight to get the money back.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not a fan of autopay for anything. I like to see the bill then submit the payment.. Not have the company mess up and take my money since I said they could then have to fight to get the money back.

Yeah, I totally understand. I used to think the same and was real leery of trusting anyone to keep it straight and honest on their part, big companies and all. Mistakes can be made then what? Its been trouble free tho with Verizon and all my bills. So nice to not write checks anymore. You know the one company I absolutely do not trust tho is Sirius xm. I always wrote them a check. LOL! till I dumped em anyway. Everything else is auto pay. Best idea since sliced bread.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I totally understand. I used to think the same and was real leery of trusting anyone to keep it straight and honest on their part, big companies and all. Mistakes can be made then what? Its been trouble free tho with Verizon and all my bills. So nice to not write checks anymore. You know the one company I absolutely do not trust tho is Sirius xm. I always wrote them a check. LOL! till I dumped em anyway. Everything else is auto pay. Best idea since sliced bread.

Write checks? Lol no wonder you hated it. Online all the way... When I say so not them :D.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what Robert L. Mitchell at Computer World is doing wrong, but I've done online/paperless billing for years for everything that will allow it (Verizon included) and never had an issue receiving e-mail notifications every month or when I actually pay the bill. I've found it's actually more reliable than old snail mail of the USPS.

Also, I typically don't do auto-pay as I prefer to see the bill prior to paying it. The only exceptions are my auto insurance and Sirius XM where I get a good discount for paying lump sum via auto-pay (with my credit card though, NEVER something tied directly to my bank account). Never had a problem with either of them. Both notify me in advance of the charges and when it will happen. :)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Theres something wrong if your not seeing the bill before they collect payment. Should be emailing you a copy for your inspection. Speaking of Sirius , they seemed to want nothing better than to latch onto my CC number. They gave me a great rate at first but no notification that it was going to go up x3 at auto renewal time. Hence I wrote them a check before I cancelled them completely and went to Pandora 100%.
Regarding snail mail, I had my neighborhood cluster box broken into and everyone had all their stuff stolen, by some meth head tweakers no doubt. Soon after that I got everything set to auto pay. Seems entirely painless and totally trouble free anyway.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I agree with this. I allow Verizon and Acura Financial Services to auto deduct my payment each month. Both let me view my bill weeks ahead of time so I don't worry about being charged too much. I verify after the payment but its much more simple then paying the bill manually.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this. I allow Verizon and Acura Financial Services to auto deduct my payment each month. Both let me view my bill weeks ahead of time so I don't worry about being charged too much. I verify after the payment but its much more simple then paying the bill manually.
I have my home owner's insurance, car insurance, HOA dues and all utilities on auto pay including verizon. Put my mom's medicare supplement on auto pay, too.

I would put the flood insurance on auto pay if I could, but for some reason, the feds don't allow that.

Been doing that for years. Never once have I been overcharged.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I put everything on auto bill pay. I do check but in case I forget, it automatically pays for me. Better than having to deal with late fees or a bad mark on my credit report in case I forget to check in the time allotted. Even if I paid, if there is a problem, I can always dispute later

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12