3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys need some help here. So I just bought my wife a Moto X so she can ditch her iPhone 4. $50 on contract with Verizon.

I have 4 lines total on my plan. 2 iPhones. My Note 3. And a dumb phone. My wife is the only one with unlimited data. So I used the upgrade on my mother-in-law's phone so my wife could keep her data.

My mother-in-law has a 4S. When I activated the Moto X online it said that she needed to select a new data plan. Which I thought was weird but then I remembered that the iPhone up until the 5 was only capable of 3G speeds.

So my question is will I be able to activate the Moto X on my wife's line without having to pick a new data plan?? She has an iPhone 4. So she can't just swap SIM 's. Thanks!!

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

critical_level2

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately you will have to pick a new data plan for it.

My dad just went through the same thing. His Droid X finally died so he bought a LG G2. He had an unlimited data plan, but it was only for unlimited 3G and his new phone is 4G, so he was not bale to keep it and had to get a new data plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So long as you don't directly upgrade your wife's line then she can keep unlimited data.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
My wife is the only one with unlimited data. So I used the upgrade on my mother-in-law's phone so my wife could keep her data.

My mother-in-law has a 4S. When I activated the Moto X online it said that she needed to select a new data plan. Which I thought was weird but then I remembered that the iPhone up until the 5 was only capable of 3G speeds.
Were you activating on your mother-in-law's line or your wife's line? I would not activate on your wife's line first. First activate on your mother-in-law's line and then switch the phone to your wife's line.

So my question is will I be able to activate the Moto X on my wife's line without having to pick a new data plan?? She has an iPhone 4. So she can't just swap SIM 's. Thanks!!
I have read people doing this with an alternate upgrade (which is what you are doing) and it being fine, but I would just go ahead and activate the phone first on your mother-in-law's line. It may still say she has to pick a new plan since the 4s is 3G and the Moto X is 4G LTE, but since your mother-in-law doesn't have unlimited, just select whatever tiered data plan your mother-in-law is already on. Then reactive the Moto X on your wife's line.

1) turn off your MIL's iPhone 4;
2) activate the Moto X on your MIL's line by following the instructions that came with the Moto X;
3) make a call or two to make sure the Moto X is active;
4) turn off the Moto X;
5) go to Verizon online and select switch/activate device and select your MIL's line (you should see the Moto X on your MIL's line);
6) select activate a device that has already been on this account and select your MIL's iPhone 4 from the drop down menu; and
7) have your MIL turn on her iPhone 4 and follow the directions.

Now your MIL's iPhone 4 will be back on her line.

Then to get the Moto X on your wife's line:

1) turn off your wife's iPhone 4s;
2) go to Verizon online and select switch/activate device and select your wife's line (you should see your wife's iPhone 4s on her line);
3) select activate a device that has already been on this account and select the Moto X from the drop down menu; and
4) turn on the Moto X and follow the directions.

If you get a warning about picking a new data plan ignore it and DO NOT PICK A NEW DATA PLAN.

Post here if you have any problems and we can walk you through it if necessary.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I did it last night. For some reason Verizon let us switch from a 3G unlimited plan to 4G unlimited plan. This is what I did.... :

1) I activated the Moto X on my MIL's line. Since that's the line I used to upgrade.

2) Then I activated my MIL's old iPhone onto my wife's line.

3) Then I just switched phones. Which brought me to the choose a new plan section. I was able to keep unlimited data on my wife's line.

I took screenshoots too in case we run into a problem later on. But everything looks good so far.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
1) I activated the Moto X on my MIL's line. Since that's the line I used to upgrade.
You will absolutely not lose unlimited data then.

There is never an issue with using a non-unlimited data line's upgrade nor is there an issue with going from 3G UDP to 4G LTE UDP - there is just an annoying warning that pops up and can be ignored.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
You will absolutely not lose unlimited data then.

There is never an issue with using a non-unlimited data line's upgrade nor is there an issue with going from 3G UDP to 4G LTE UDP - there is just an annoying warning that pops up and can be ignored.

Great then everything went as planned. I just wish you were able to transfer the unlimited data feature between lines on the same account. I use between 5-7 GB of data yet I'm on a 4 GB plan. And the wife has unlimited but rarely ever goes over 2 GB. Verizon is lame.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Great then everything went as planned. I just wish you were able to transfer the unlimited data feature between lines on the same account. I use between 5-7 GB of data yet I'm on a 4 GB plan. And the wife has unlimited but rarely ever goes over 2 GB. Verizon is lame.

Why did you give up unlimited?

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Why did you give up unlimited?

I never had unlimited. Well I did back in the day. Around 2007-9. Then I switched to Sprint because I had a better Corporate Discount and my plan was just too much money. Then when I came back to Verizon two years ago because of the GNex unlimited was gone.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Only way is to switch phone numbers with your wife.

Yeah I know which she doesn't want to do. And I dont either. I like my number. Verizon is just lame that's all. Only reason I'm staying is because of the great service and being on a family plan it's the cheapest with my corporate discount.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I never had unlimited. Well I did back in the day. Around 2007-9. Then I switched to Sprint because I had a better Corporate Discount and my plan was just too much money. Then when I came back to Verizon two years ago because of the GNex unlimited was gone.

You could have gotten unlimited through the mhs loophole at the time the gnex came out. Too bad that you missed it.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
You could have gotten unlimited through the mhs loophole at the time the gnex came out. Too bad that you missed it.
That was really hit or miss, though. Many people had to call repeatedly to get it as more and more reps were trained not to do that until some people couldn't get any of them to do it for them. Then of course, the system software was eventually fixed.

You can still AOL on an UDP line, but eventually I am sure that will go away, too just as it has at ATT.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
That was really hit or miss, though. Many people had to call repeatedly to get it as more and more reps were trained not to do that until some people couldn't get any of them to do it for them. Then of course, the system software was eventually fixed.

You can still AOL on an UDP line, but eventually I am sure that will go away, too just as it has at ATT.

Somewhat ymmv sure, but if you knew how to ask and asked early your chances of success were high. Some people were denied because they mentioned unlimited data... Stupid move, because the reps will always say no to unlimited. Just add the mhs and hope you get unlimited. Worse case, you lose a buck for one days usage, not the end of the world. I played dumb and was easily able to get it for a friend the first try and took just a few minutes. My friend to this day still has unlimited. And unlimited is cheaper thanks to the employee discount

This is the same for transferring upgrades to keep unlimited. If you mention unlimited, most reps will just say you can't do it. If you pay dumb you might get one who will do it for you. Of course the best bet is online but I know some prefer to do it in store

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This is the same for transferring upgrades to keep unlimited. If you mention unlimited, most reps will just say you can't do it. If you pay dumb you might get one who will do it for you. Of course the best bet is online but I know some prefer to do it in store

Yeah I never have luck in store I do everything online. And I hate talking to Reps. Always mess up my plan.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I do everything online. And I hate talking to Reps. Always mess up my plan.

I don't do anything online. I speak to reps because I know they can offer deals that you can't get online. The last time I upgraded, I was offered a plan that's a 40% discount from the regular postpaid rate. It works out that I'm actually paying less than I would be paying if I were at T-Mobile with an equivalent plan--and I get far better service Verizon than I would with T-Mobile.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
The last time I upgraded, I was offered a plan that's a 40% discount from the regular postpaid rate. It works out that I'm actually paying less than I would be paying if I were at T-Mobile with an equivalent plan--and I get far better service Verizon than I would with T-Mobile.
You gave up unlimited data to get that plan.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You gave up unlimited data to get that plan.

That's right. I did. And...what's your point? I said before that I DON'T NEED UNLIMITED DATA. I'm not a data *****. I don't live in the sticks, either, so I have WiFi readily available all over the city to me.

Again, what's your point? Why are you telling me things about myself that I already know and that weren't even the point of my post? I was just pointing out something that may not be obvious regarding upgrading through a rep versus upgrading online: the reps can offer deals that you can't get if you only ever upgrade online.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
That's right. I did. And...what's your point? I said before that I DON'T NEED UNLIMITED DATA. I'm not a data *****. I don't live in the sticks, either, so I have WiFi readily available all over the city to me.

Again, what's your point? Why are you telling me things about myself that I already know and that weren't even the point of my post? I was just pointing out something that may not be obvious regarding upgrading through a rep versus upgrading online: the reps can offer deals that you can't get if you only ever upgrade online.
Wow, settle down, dude. I am putting it out there for those people who may not know what you had to give up to get that "deal".

Verizon is cooking up all kinds of "deals" to get us off of UDPs. No thank you!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, settle down, dude. I am putting it out there for those people who may not know what you had to give up to get that "deal".

Why is it your job to tell people about my business? Please answer that before anything else.

And no, that's not why I was offered the plan. I was offered the plan because I was planning on leaving Verizon due to cost, not because I was unwilling to give up unlimited data. You're making false assumptions.

I'm asking once, and I'm asking nicely: PLEASE STOP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz