Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    ki11ak3nn's Avatar

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

    Default 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Hey guys need some help here. So I just bought my wife a Moto X so she can ditch her iPhone 4. $50 on contract with Verizon.

    I have 4 lines total on my plan. 2 iPhones. My Note 3. And a dumb phone. My wife is the only one with unlimited data. So I used the upgrade on my mother-in-law's phone so my wife could keep her data.

    My mother-in-law has a 4S. When I activated the Moto X online it said that she needed to select a new data plan. Which I thought was weird but then I remembered that the iPhone up until the 5 was only capable of 3G speeds.

    So my question is will I be able to activate the Moto X on my wife's line without having to pick a new data plan?? She has an iPhone 4. So she can't just swap SIM 's. Thanks!!


    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Unfortunately you will have to pick a new data plan for it.

    My dad just went through the same thing. His Droid X finally died so he bought a LG G2. He had an unlimited data plan, but it was only for unlimited 3G and his new phone is 4G, so he was not bale to keep it and had to get a new data plan.
    "Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools because Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
  3. #3  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    So long as you don't directly upgrade your wife's line then she can keep unlimited data.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    My wife is the only one with unlimited data. So I used the upgrade on my mother-in-law's phone so my wife could keep her data.

    My mother-in-law has a 4S. When I activated the Moto X online it said that she needed to select a new data plan. Which I thought was weird but then I remembered that the iPhone up until the 5 was only capable of 3G speeds.
    Were you activating on your mother-in-law's line or your wife's line? I would not activate on your wife's line first. First activate on your mother-in-law's line and then switch the phone to your wife's line.


    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    So my question is will I be able to activate the Moto X on my wife's line without having to pick a new data plan?? She has an iPhone 4. So she can't just swap SIM 's. Thanks!!
    I have read people doing this with an alternate upgrade (which is what you are doing) and it being fine, but I would just go ahead and activate the phone first on your mother-in-law's line. It may still say she has to pick a new plan since the 4s is 3G and the Moto X is 4G LTE, but since your mother-in-law doesn't have unlimited, just select whatever tiered data plan your mother-in-law is already on. Then reactive the Moto X on your wife's line.

    1) turn off your MIL's iPhone 4;
    2) activate the Moto X on your MIL's line by following the instructions that came with the Moto X;
    3) make a call or two to make sure the Moto X is active;
    4) turn off the Moto X;
    5) go to Verizon online and select switch/activate device and select your MIL's line (you should see the Moto X on your MIL's line);
    6) select activate a device that has already been on this account and select your MIL's iPhone 4 from the drop down menu; and
    7) have your MIL turn on her iPhone 4 and follow the directions.

    Now your MIL's iPhone 4 will be back on her line.

    Then to get the Moto X on your wife's line:

    1) turn off your wife's iPhone 4s;
    2) go to Verizon online and select switch/activate device and select your wife's line (you should see your wife's iPhone 4s on her line);
    3) select activate a device that has already been on this account and select the Moto X from the drop down menu; and
    4) turn on the Moto X and follow the directions.

    If you get a warning about picking a new data plan ignore it and DO NOT PICK A NEW DATA PLAN.

    Post here if you have any problems and we can walk you through it if necessary.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    ki11ak3nn's Avatar

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    I did it last night. For some reason Verizon let us switch from a 3G unlimited plan to 4G unlimited plan. This is what I did.... :

    1) I activated the Moto X on my MIL's line. Since that's the line I used to upgrade.

    2) Then I activated my MIL's old iPhone onto my wife's line.

    3) Then I just switched phones. Which brought me to the choose a new plan section. I was able to keep unlimited data on my wife's line.

    I took screenshoots too in case we run into a problem later on. But everything looks good so far.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
    Thanked by:
    DayThyme likes this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    1) I activated the Moto X on my MIL's line. Since that's the line I used to upgrade.
    You will absolutely not lose unlimited data then.

    There is never an issue with using a non-unlimited data line's upgrade nor is there an issue with going from 3G UDP to 4G LTE UDP - there is just an annoying warning that pops up and can be ignored.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    ki11ak3nn's Avatar

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    You will absolutely not lose unlimited data then.

    There is never an issue with using a non-unlimited data line's upgrade nor is there an issue with going from 3G UDP to 4G LTE UDP - there is just an annoying warning that pops up and can be ignored.
    Great then everything went as planned. I just wish you were able to transfer the unlimited data feature between lines on the same account. I use between 5-7 GB of data yet I'm on a 4 GB plan. And the wife has unlimited but rarely ever goes over 2 GB. Verizon is lame.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    Great then everything went as planned. I just wish you were able to transfer the unlimited data feature between lines on the same account. I use between 5-7 GB of data yet I'm on a 4 GB plan. And the wife has unlimited but rarely ever goes over 2 GB. Verizon is lame.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
    Why did you give up unlimited?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I just wish you were able to transfer the unlimited data feature between lines on the same account.
    Only way is to switch phone numbers with your wife.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    ki11ak3nn's Avatar

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Why did you give up unlimited?

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I never had unlimited. Well I did back in the day. Around 2007-9. Then I switched to Sprint because I had a better Corporate Discount and my plan was just too much money. Then when I came back to Verizon two years ago because of the GNex unlimited was gone.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    ki11ak3nn's Avatar

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Only way is to switch phone numbers with your wife.
    Yeah I know which she doesn't want to do. And I dont either. I like my number. Verizon is just lame that's all. Only reason I'm staying is because of the great service and being on a family plan it's the cheapest with my corporate discount.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I never had unlimited. Well I did back in the day. Around 2007-9. Then I switched to Sprint because I had a better Corporate Discount and my plan was just too much money. Then when I came back to Verizon two years ago because of the GNex unlimited was gone.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
    You could have gotten unlimited through the mhs loophole at the time the gnex came out. Too bad that you missed it.

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    You could have gotten unlimited through the mhs loophole at the time the gnex came out. Too bad that you missed it.
    That was really hit or miss, though. Many people had to call repeatedly to get it as more and more reps were trained not to do that until some people couldn't get any of them to do it for them. Then of course, the system software was eventually fixed.

    You can still AOL on an UDP line, but eventually I am sure that will go away, too just as it has at ATT.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    That was really hit or miss, though. Many people had to call repeatedly to get it as more and more reps were trained not to do that until some people couldn't get any of them to do it for them. Then of course, the system software was eventually fixed.

    You can still AOL on an UDP line, but eventually I am sure that will go away, too just as it has at ATT.
    Somewhat ymmv sure, but if you knew how to ask and asked early your chances of success were high. Some people were denied because they mentioned unlimited data... Stupid move, because the reps will always say no to unlimited. Just add the mhs and hope you get unlimited. Worse case, you lose a buck for one days usage, not the end of the world. I played dumb and was easily able to get it for a friend the first try and took just a few minutes. My friend to this day still has unlimited. And unlimited is cheaper thanks to the employee discount

    This is the same for transferring upgrades to keep unlimited. If you mention unlimited, most reps will just say you can't do it. If you pay dumb you might get one who will do it for you. Of course the best bet is online but I know some prefer to do it in store

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    ki11ak3nn's Avatar

    Posts
    453 Posts
    Global Posts
    477 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOPK 24 w/ GLaDOS

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    This is the same for transferring upgrades to keep unlimited. If you mention unlimited, most reps will just say you can't do it. If you pay dumb you might get one who will do it for you. Of course the best bet is online but I know some prefer to do it in store

    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Yeah I never have luck in store I do everything online. And I hate talking to Reps. Always mess up my plan.

    Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ki11ak3nn View Post
    I do everything online. And I hate talking to Reps. Always mess up my plan.
    I don't do anything online. I speak to reps because I know they can offer deals that you can't get online. The last time I upgraded, I was offered a plan that's a 40% discount from the regular postpaid rate. It works out that I'm actually paying less than I would be paying if I were at T-Mobile with an equivalent plan--and I get far better service Verizon than I would with T-Mobile.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    The last time I upgraded, I was offered a plan that's a 40% discount from the regular postpaid rate. It works out that I'm actually paying less than I would be paying if I were at T-Mobile with an equivalent plan--and I get far better service Verizon than I would with T-Mobile.
    You gave up unlimited data to get that plan.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    You gave up unlimited data to get that plan.
    That's right. I did. And...what's your point? I said before that I DON'T NEED UNLIMITED DATA. I'm not a data *****. I don't live in the sticks, either, so I have WiFi readily available all over the city to me.

    Again, what's your point? Why are you telling me things about myself that I already know and that weren't even the point of my post? I was just pointing out something that may not be obvious regarding upgrading through a rep versus upgrading online: the reps can offer deals that you can't get if you only ever upgrade online.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    That's right. I did. And...what's your point? I said before that I DON'T NEED UNLIMITED DATA. I'm not a data *****. I don't live in the sticks, either, so I have WiFi readily available all over the city to me.

    Again, what's your point? Why are you telling me things about myself that I already know and that weren't even the point of my post? I was just pointing out something that may not be obvious regarding upgrading through a rep versus upgrading online: the reps can offer deals that you can't get if you only ever upgrade online.
    Wow, settle down, dude. I am putting it out there for those people who may not know what you had to give up to get that "deal".

    Verizon is cooking up all kinds of "deals" to get us off of UDPs. No thank you!
  20. #20  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Wow, settle down, dude. I am putting it out there for those people who may not know what you had to give up to get that "deal".
    Why is it your job to tell people about my business? Please answer that before anything else.

    And no, that's not why I was offered the plan. I was offered the plan because I was planning on leaving Verizon due to cost, not because I was unwilling to give up unlimited data. You're making false assumptions.

    I'm asking once, and I'm asking nicely: PLEASE STOP.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Why is it your job to tell people about my business?

    I'm asking once, and I'm asking nicely: PLEASE STOP.
    I WILL tell people when you tout how great of a "deal" you got that you had to give up UDP.

    I am asking once, and I'm asking nicely, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T REPOST WHAT YOU HAVE PUBLICLY POSTED BEFORE.

    I CAN and WILL.

    Stop being so paranoid; it is creeping me out.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    I WILL tell people when you tout how great of a "deal" you got that you had to give up UDP.
    THAT'S NOT WHY THEY OFFERED ME THE PLAN.

    You don't know me. You weren't a part of the conversations I had with Verizon.

    Stop posting false information.

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    PLEASE DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T REPOST WHAT YOU HAVE PUBLICLY POSTED BEFORE.

    I CAN and WILL.
    I never said that the reason I was offered the loyalty plan was because I didn't want to give up unlimited data. You made that up on your own.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Stop posting false information.
    I am not posting false information according to what YOU have posted. You had UDP and gave it up for the plan you are currently on according to YOU.

    Feel free to correct what you have posted in the past if it was false.

    ETA - dude, I read your PM, stop PMing me.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    I WILL tell people when you tout how great of a "deal" you got that you had to give up UDP.

    I am asking once, and I'm asking nicely, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME I CAN'T REPOST WHAT YOU HAVE PUBLICLY POSTED BEFORE.

    I CAN and WILL.

    Stop being so paranoid; it is creeping me out.
    I think this has gone far enough. You have an issue with a member you can take it to PM and be professional and polite about it. Taking the route you have taken is unacceptable.

    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central





    Thanked by 2:
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: 3G iPhone to 4G Moto X

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul627g View Post
    I think this has gone far enough. You have an issue with a member you can take it to PM and be professional and polite about it. Taking the route you have taken is unacceptable.
    Thank you.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble with iPhones texting me
    By JordanHardey in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-15-2014, 05:55 PM
  2. Moto X vs Droid Maxx
    By Toddzilla#WN in forum Moto X
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
  3. Has Anyone Flashed from Android 4.4.2 Back to Android 4.3.*?
    By StLouisMan2 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-04-2014, 03:21 PM
  4. how to backup and restore..
    By doughnuted in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 11:06 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM

Posting Permissions

B