Looking for Verizon opinions

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently a Sprint customer and am considering switching to Verizon. I live in New York, and Sprint's coverage as far as data hasn't been great. Lately voice calls have become a problem as well. I know Sprint is in the process of upgrading their network.

From what I can see from the coverage maps in the store and online, Verizon seems to be better.

I wish I didn't have to go to tiered data and have to pay for texts, so that will be a trade off. Looking to see if their are any complaints about Verizon and it's coverage, particularly in densely populated areas like New York.

Posted via Android Central App

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
You'll be making a considerable upgrade if you're moving from Sprint to Verizon. Unfortunately, as a new customer, you will also be paying for it.

That's my only complaint, though: Verizon is expensive. I even think so with my plan, which is giving me a 40% discount off the regular price for post paid service. Customer service has always been great to me, though. Coverage is fantastic, and the speed of the LTE network is much improved now that AWS is enabled (I'm getting 55-65Mbps outdoors).

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I wish I didn't have to go to tiered data and have to pay for texts, so that will be a trade off.
If you are willing to change your phone number, you can assume liability on a line with unlimited data and unlimited texts and then adjust the minutes to your needs after AOL.

If not, the only plans available to new Verizon customers are the Share Everything plans - Unlimited talk and text for $40/mo and then a minimum of 1GB of data for $50/mo. If you need more data than it is 2GB for $60/mo, 4GB for $70/mos, 6GB for $80/mo, 8GB for $90/mo and 10GB for $100/mo. Overages are $15/GB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There is a 500mb/$40 option.

Also there is a loyalty $60 plan with unlimited talk text and 2gb data. Although technically not for new customers, many have been able to get it, though some have had to call multiple times. Best luck seems to be telling them that you called in before and that a rep said that you could have it.

If you are looking for network coverage at a specific location, you need to ask people in your area. In my house for example before, at one spot I for great speeds, about 15' away, or was very weak signal

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Last edited:

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
There is a 500mb/$40 option.
who can live on 500MB of data per month?

T
Also there is a loyalty $60 plan with unlimited talk text and 2gb data. Although technically not for new customers, many have been able to get it, though some have had to call multiple times. Best luck seems to be telling them that you called in before and that a rep said that you could have it.
How would that work for new customers?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
who can live on 500MB of data per month?

How would that work for new customers?

This is my wife's data usage.

For new account, you would have to sign up under a share everything plan. Immediately afterwards, call in to switch to the loyalty plan. If you can't get it, you can cancel service within 3 days to avoid the activation fee

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1388893626404.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1388893626404.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 29

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity: how does she use her phone? That's an insanely low amount of data to use.

She is on wifi virtually all the time. I put her on the 300mb plan when it was available . I would remove the data package if Verizon let me, but sadly they don't

amsparky

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I made the same move for the same reason. Just keep in mind you will pay more. We entertained the idea of switching again, but we have to be accessible and Verizon is the only carrier that seems to be consistent with coverage in our area. Good luck!

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I live in an urban areas but travel a lot in the boonies and Verizon works everywhere I go. Yes it's a bit more pricey but I think it's worth it. Been with VERIZON for over 7 years and no regrets.