[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

jyoung927

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

are we all 100% certain best buy ships the phones un-activated EVERY time? like i mentioned before, i tried the store pickup route and ended up losing my UDP for a few days because the associate activated the phone after i told him not to.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

are we all 100% certain best buy ships the phones un-activated EVERY time? like i mentioned before, i tried the store pickup route and ended up losing my UDP for a few days because the associate activated the phone after i told him not to.
It won't because your current phone would not work if they activated the new phone. Clearly they're not going to cut your service for a few days while the phone is in the mail. What people have reported is that the SIM card showed up preinstalled. And if that's the case and you turn the phone on, you may lose your data. But in most cases the SIM card is separately packaged.

donjon28

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

How does online check out work for your phones if you have multiple lines in a family plan that are eligible for upgrade? Currently my family plan has 3 lines, all of which are eligible to upgarde, and one of which is an UDP(mine). If i buy an HTC One M8 online, will I get to specify which line I want to upgrade? Or can I just put in my old simcard into the new phone when i get it? Thanks

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

It won't because your current phone would not work if they activated the new phone. Clearly they're not going to cut your service for a few days while the phone is in the mail. What people have reported is that the SIM card showed up preinstalled. And if that's the case and you turn the phone on, you may lose your data. But in most cases the SIM card is separately packaged.

This. It does appear however, these phones are coming with the sim preinstalled. Do not turn on your phone before removing the included sim.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

How does online check out work for your phones if you have multiple lines in a family plan that are eligible for upgrade? Currently my family plan has 3 lines, all of which are eligible to upgarde, and one of which is an UDP(mine). If i buy an HTC One M8 online, will I get to specify which line I want to upgrade? Or can I just put in my old simcard into the new phone when i get it? Thanks

You can put your old sim into the new phone. You may need to cut the sim to fit. Make sure you remove the included sim card before turning on phone.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a line that is not unlimited?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Site won't allow me to log in....

Okay everyone I bit the bullet, followed the instructions to the T and ordered my phone. We just bought new appliances from Best Buy so I had an additional $75 rewards so I got the phone for $125. Now wait for it to get here and hopefully get my Thunderbolt sim card into it without too much problem.

It's unfortunate that we could't take advantage of the BOGO, because my wife has decided that she now wants a smartphone, but buying two is still cheaper than $750 for one, no need to be greedy. Thank you all for you help, it is much appreciated. I will report back when I get the phone and see how I fare with activation.

Has anyone bought a protection plan from one of the aftermarket sellers on the net?

donjon28

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Yes, 3 lines and only one of them has UDP. One is on 2gb and the other doesn't have a data plan.

mbkintner

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Site won't allow me to log in....

This isn't directed at any one person but this thread started with a focus on upgrading via ghost lines and transferring upgrades. Bringing any conversation and directions about upgrading via the Best Buy method will only be confusing to future readers. Can we move all talk of the Best Buy method to one of the two threads it belongs in that I've linked to below?

donjon28

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Using upgrades on metered and non data plans lines will not effect your UDP lines.

You can transfer upgrades from your UDP line to one of the other lines as well.

Check out this thread:
[Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Sent from my Note 3

Yes I realize this, my question was geared towards something else. I was wondering how to specify which line I wish to upgrade when I purchase the phone from bestbuy. If my UDP is on line 2, I don't want to accidentally buy a phone and upgrade line 1 instead of line 2.
Basically do I specify which line I upgrade when I checkout online at bestbuy? Or do I just need to pop in my old simcard into the new phone and activate it for line 2 at that point?

ykawai19

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered...wondering where in the 26 pages I could find this answer:

Question 1:
-- How to upgrade iPhone 4 (not S) to Samsung Galaxy S5?

Details:
-- 2 lines under Family Share Plan 700, unlimited data
-- 1st line (my wife) has iPhone 4 that now qualifies for an upgrade
-- 2nd line (me) has Samsung Galaxy S3 that does NOT qualify for an upgrade until 7/2014
-- I want to buy the subsidized Samsung Galaxy S5 from Best Buy using the iPhone line and eventually swap the S5 with S3

Goal:
-- My wife can continue to use iPhone 4, I can use the new S5 and sell my S3, and we both keep unlimited data

Solution 1:
-- Because iPhone 4 is only 3G based, there is no SIM card
-- I have to purchase a SIM card, activate it under a Verizon account, and use this SIM instead of the SIM that comes with the S5 to activate the S5 (which page in this thread talks about how to do this? I'm not sure where to buy the SIM card or how I can activate it under a Verizon account.)

Solution 2:
-- Could I use the SIM card in my S3 to upgrade the S5, although the S3 line is not eligible for an upgrade?

Solution 3:
-- I could swap our phones now so that line 1 is S3 and line 2 is iPhone 4
-- Then I upgrade the S3 on line 1 to S5 by using the S3 SIM, then switch the phones again so that iPhone is on line 1 and S5 is on line 2.
-- I realize that on the Verizon site, you can "transfer upgrade" from one line to another, but in order to "transfer upgrade," you have to purchase a phone on their website...so this is a no go

Solution 4:
-- Wait until 2nd line (my line) is eligible for an upgrade in 7/2014 and get the S5 then
-- At that time, I can use the SIM in S3 to activate the S5
-- The only concern is, will Best Buy loophole remain in 7/2014?

Question 2:
-- Also, assuming I can upgrade my S3 to S5 now using the Best Buy loophole, will my wife lose unlimited data upgrading her iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 when it comes out later this year? (by that time, line 2 will be eligible for an upgrade, and she can use that to upgrade her phone)
-- I'm planning on using the S5 SIM to activate iPhone 6 (may not work since I eventually need the SIM from S5 back...perhaps we could ask Verizon to send another SIM for the activated iPhone 6...but I'm sure there will be mass confusion why I have 2 relatively new phones activated by the original SIM from S3)

Thanks for your time. :cool:

Last edited:

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Both thread titles should be updated.... One with "Bestbuy" and the other with "Multiline"

I get them confused all the time... Lol

Sent from my Note 3

UDP

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Tried the best buy method, received an action required email not long after. After further investigation it appears pre-activation failed. Any ideas?

Last edited:

UDP

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

Apologies in advance for crossposting, wasn't sure which thread to put this in. "Tried the best buy method, received an action required email not long after. After further investigation it appears pre-activation failed. Any ideas? "

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

Tried the best buy method, received an action required email not long after. After further investigation it appears pre-activation failed. Any ideas?

Not sure what you're saying. Please clarify.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

filly444

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

I'm so glad I checked here first as I was an inch away from paying $700 for the phone just to keep me unlimited. Here is my scenerio:

I have a galaxy nexus (4G Phone) that my contract just expired from and I was automatically moved to a month to month bill but I'm eligible for an upgrade. This is the only line on my account. I want to purchase the new Galaxy S5 for the discounted price. I now see it on amazon for $99 on Verizon and that is the perfect price for me.

What are my options? From this guide, I'm assuming I add another line for $9.99 and buy the S5 at the $99 price. Then I transfer my current plan on Line 1 to my new plan on Line 2? Or Can I just add a line and buy the phone at the $99 price and when the phone arrives swap my current sim card from the Galaxy Nexus to the Galaxy S5 (I hope it's that easy). Also with the new phone there will be a new number right? Will I be penalized for deactivating that phone? Does my phone number just automatically switch when I change the sim cards?

Please let me know which options is best. I'm in desperate need of a new phone.

Friends And Family10 Smart Pack 500
Line 1: Unlimited Data - Eligible for upgrade - Galaxy Nexus (4G Phone)

Thanks for the help!!!

UDP

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

---Answered in another thread---

Last edited:

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

Apologies in advance for crossposting, wasn't sure which thread to put this in. "Tried the best buy method, received an action required email not long after. After further investigation it appears pre-activation failed. Any ideas? "

It could be if you have a balance on your account. I know I've heard of people that have had a Verizon bill ballence of $20 and Best Buy won't let you upgrade, even of it isn't due for another week or two. Other thoughts, a suspended line will cause it. Being Easter and a Holliday, it is possible that no one is working that department today. Could be any of these.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site

What are my options? with the new phone there will be a new number right? Will I be penalized for deactivating that phone? Does my phone number just automatically switch when I change the sim cards?

Please let me know which options is best. I'm in desperate need of a new phone.

Friends And Family10 Smart Pack 500
Line 1: Unlimited Data - Eligible for upgrade - Galaxy Nexus (4G Phone)

Thanks for the help!!!

If you just want to keep your smart pack plan and just upgrade the one line, see if the method works for you. Just select keep plan, and select keep existing data plan. I know it works in best buys website, I don't think it will work on amazons website. Maybe save up for the $200 for best buys price, it'll pay for itself after a few months of unlimited data. Get a SIM cutter or template to cut your SIM card down when phone arrives, and do not activate it on the aim card that they give to you. If you want another line, just see I'd you can add a line without switching plans, might be impossible, but if you can, you would still have to switch phones. But know that you don't necessarily have to create a new line and add more to your bill, just to keep unlimited data. You can keep it with the SIM card trick way.