Page 1 of 26 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

Hi All,

For those who haven't read the Best Buy thread in this forum there is a way to get a new phone and keep unlimited data.

Okay Guys and Gals,

I did it. I received the LG G2 last night. I had to call Verizon to activate it but I put in my old SIM and the Rep was working on activate it. The rep then told me that I get to keep my unlimited. That was exciting. I kept checking my plan and it still says unlimited. So for those who want a new phone get it from Best Buy, keep your plan and HAVE IT SHIPPED HOME. You will get to keep you unlimited without any problems (at least I did) and get your new phone. Please let me know if there are any questions I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks!
    So this is what I did. I had the phone shipped to my home. It came with a SIM Card already in. I took the SIM card out of my old phone and put it in the new G2. I did not turn the phone on. There were instructions given on how to activate the phone. I called that number, and the automated machine tried to activate my phone via automated system but it failed so I had it transfer me to a live person. That live person was then activating my phone. Without me even bringing it up the rep said that I get to keep my unlimited data. That was exciting. He then asked for the number IMEI number and the number on the SIM Card to activate. I gave him the number of my old SIM Card. He then had me make a test call and it was all ready to go. He did say that I could have also activated online from the Verizon website. And there you go, success.
    There was no hassle except waiting for my phone. It took them essentially two weeks to ship (probably due to the holidays) but there really was no hassle at all.

So essentially you go to the best buy site, order the phone you want, make you keep everything the same. Just in case keep all screen shots and print outs.

Please let me know if there is something that needs clarification. Thanks!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-23-2014 at 06:25 PM.
    Thanked by 3:

Default Re: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price.

This is discussed within another thread on here.

Sent from my iPhone using
    jnbarth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cnotes2019 View Post
    This is discussed within another thread on here.
    Actually, no, what he did was very different. He did not transfer an upgrade from an UDP line to another line. Nor did he use a non-UDP line's upgrade.

What he did was use his UDP line's upgrade on his UDP line to purchase a phone through Best Buy online. He was not forced to pick a new plan. Then when the new phone came in the mail, instead of activating the phone on his UDP line using the SIM card that came in the phone, he activated the new phone using a SIM card from his old phone that was on his UDP line.

So the key points here are:

1) purchase a new 4G LTE smartphone through best buy online using the upgrade on your UDP line and do not pick a new plan;
    2) have the new 4G LTE smartphone shipped to your house NOT to the store; and
    3) remove the SIM card that comes with the new 4G LTE smartphone phone and replace it with the SIM card from the 4G LTE smartphone that is already on your UDP line and then activate the new 4G LTE smartphone on your UDP line.
    Thanked by:
    otwok 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by DayThyme View Post
    Actually, no, what he did was very different. He did not transfer an upgrade from an UDP line to another line. Nor did he use a non-UDP line's upgrade.

What he did was use his UDP line's upgrade on his UDP line to purchase a phone through Best Buy online. He was not forced to pick a new plan. Then when the new phone came in the mail, instead of activating the phone on his UDP line using the SIM card that came in the phone, he activated the new phone using a SIM card from his old phone that was on his UDP line.

So the key points here are:

1) purchase a new 4G LTE smartphone through best buy online using the upgrade on your UDP line and do not pick a new plan;
    2) have the new 4G LTE smartphone shipped to your house NOT to the store; and
    3) remove the SIM card that comes with the new 4G LTE smartphone phone and replace it with the SIM card from the 4G LTE smartphone that is already on your UDP line and then activate the new 4G LTE smartphone on your UDP line.
    Thanks. This is exactly right. It is different from the add a line plan. For those who don't want to pay the money to add a line or do not fully understand how to go that route this is an easier and more hassle free route. At least for the time being until they fix it. It's essentially getting your upgrade from Best Buy, select keep existing plan, ship home, use your current sim card in place of the one pre-installed in the new phone and it should be done. The rep even confirmed with me. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by otwok View Post
    Thanks. This is exactly right. It is different from the add a line plan. For those who don't want to pay the money to add a line or do not fully understand how to go that route this is an easier and more hassle free route. At least for the time being until they fix it. It's essentially getting your upgrade from Best Buy, select keep existing plan, ship home, use your current sim card in place of the one pre-installed in the new phone and it should be done. The rep even confirmed with me. Easy.
    Not only that, it is the only cost effective way to use your UDP line's upgrade and keep your UDP if you have an individual plan. This is because when you add a line to an individual plan, it converts it to a family plan and when you do the math, the added costs of a family plan (i.e., higher charges for unlimited text/minutes, higher minimum number of minutes, etc.) make it not cost effective to add a line even if you sell the added line's subsidized phone.

Two things

1. This as far as we know right now was a one time thing, would like to see other people use it with success before we know it will work all the time.

2. In order to get updates from Verizon you will need to put a new SIM card in the phone. Myself along with others used our old SIM and couldn't get the first update that came a week after the phone came out. The ones that went and got a new SIM later then got the update.

I never put in a new SIM and not only couldn't ever get the first but can't download the newest update from a couple weeks ago. So at some point you need to add a new SIM.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    1. This as far as we know right now was a one time thing, would like to see other people use it with success before we know it will work all the time.
    yes, I hope others who try this will report their experiences. Screen shots are always a plus!

2. In order to get updates from Verizon you will need to put a new SIM card in the phone. Myself along with others used our old SIM and couldn't get the first update that came a week after the phone came out. The ones that went and got a new SIM later then got the update.
    I wonder if that could be solved by going into Verizon with the phone in about a month and telling them that your phone is acting up and you would like to try a new SIM card? That shouldn't cause any problems with an UDP since the new SIM card will not be tied to the upgrade.

yes, I hope others who try this will report their experiences. Screen shots are always a plus!

I wonder if that could be solved by going into Verizon with the phone in about a month and telling them that your phone is acting up and you would like to try a new SIM card? That shouldn't cause any problems with an UDP since the new SIM card will not be tied to the upgrade.
    No shouldn't cause any problems, and I doubt you have to wait a month or even make up a story. Probably just need to ask for a new SIM. I just haven't done it yet.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Two things

I never put in a new SIM and not only couldn't ever get the first but can't download the newest update from a couple weeks ago. So at some point you need to add a new SIM.

Not really. I already got an update for my LG G2. The rep activated my SIM over the phone. I gave him the number on my SIM. He activated everything over the phone. No issues.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price-2014_01_09_14_40_48_verizon_wireless_it_s_the_network.jpg  
    Last edited by otwok; 01-09-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Thanked by:
    DayThyme and BlueIce5249 like this.

You should remove your phone number from the screen shot

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by:
    otwok 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post

Good call. Thanks!

Not really. I already got an update for my LG G2. The rep activated my SIM over the phone. I gave him the number on my SIM. He activated everything over the phone. No issues.
    This is really remarkable. I think what it means is that the loss of an UDP is tied to the SIM card that ships with the subsidized phone, not with the subsidized phone itself. So it seems that in verizon's system, it is the SIM card number being activated that prompts the loss of an UDP, not the IMEI of the subsidized phone.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Here is the screenshot of when the software was last updated. I received my phone on 1/6/14Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price-2014-01-10-08-34-33.jpg

Two things

I have used the same SIM card for three phones now and I have received updates from Verizon, the latest being on the g2...I used the alternate upgrade route to keep my UDP

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post

Good call. Thanks!

Worst pun EVAAARRRR!!!!

I'm tempted to do this myself. I went ahead and threw a 2nd line on my phone in October (missed out on the Verizon website issue by just a few hours) when I cracked the screen on my old Rezound not even an hour after Verizon fixed their website. So, I have a 2nd line on my phone that's costing me. I'm actually considering jumping to T-mobile's deal where they'll pay the ETF for moving a line to them. I'll have to figure out the math to see if it would be cheaper for me to get a T-mobile phone and have 1 account with Verizon (for my unlimited) and 1 dummy account with T-mobile or just keep the 2nd line on my Verizon account as a dummy phone that serves no real purpose.

I just saw this through their ordering process. I figured I'd see if it would allow me to upgrade without adding a plan.

DO YOU HAVE AN EXISTING UNLIMITED DATA PLAN?

Here's what you need to know:

With Verizon's new Share Everything plan, unlimited data is no longer available. When you upgrade your device, you will not have unlimited data.

If keeping unlimited data is important to you, you can choose "Replace my device" and pay full retail price for a new device.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

This SIM card swap will not work with the iPhone 4s correct. As far as I can tell, 4s does not have a SIM card.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by TXGTOU View Post
    I'm tempted to do this myself. I went ahead and threw a 2nd line on my phone in October (missed out on the Verizon website issue by just a few hours) when I cracked the screen on my old Rezound not even an hour after Verizon fixed their website. So, I have a 2nd line on my phone that's costing me. I'm actually considering jumping to T-mobile's deal where they'll pay the ETF for moving a line to them. I'll have to figure out the math to see if it would be cheaper for me to get a T-mobile phone and have 1 account with Verizon (for my unlimited) and 1 dummy account with T-mobile or just keep the 2nd line on my Verizon account as a dummy phone that serves no real purpose.

I just saw this through their ordering process. I figured I'd see if it would allow me to upgrade without adding a plan.

Yea I saw that before. I posted that same question in the BestBuy thread below. I would just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by direfan View Post
    This SIM card swap will not work with the iPhone 4s correct. As far as I can tell, 4s does not have a SIM card.
    The 4s does have a sim.

Yea I saw that before. I posted that same question in the BestBuy thread below. I would just ignore it.
    I went ahead and just moved my update eligible line to my dummy line. I'll go ahead and add a new device so I can swap out my mother's phone. Felt kind of weird doing phone shopping while I've still got my Note 3 on me.

Thanks for the tip, hope it works!

I purchased Best Buy online this afternoon. Now the wait begins.
    Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price-screen-shot-2014-01-13-10.28.23-pm.png
    Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price-screen-shot-2014-01-13-10.28.14-pm.png

Also, Verizon currently
    I called 1-800-BEST-BUY about price match, he confirmed.

I completed my order. Then I drove to local Best Buy with invoice and proof of Verizon deal and was promptly denied in the rudest way possible. I spoke to 2 reps and a manager texted her two cents from somewhere in the store. Wasn't so much the "no", rather the exasperate smirks, bad attitudes, utter indifference and lack of any courtesy. There were DMV employees off to side saying,"Oh, thats just rude."

Came home called customer service and gave a detailed incident report. Anyways, I'm well aware of fine print in Best Buy's price guarantee - thats why I had called 1-800 # first and had corporate OK before completing the order. Be great to keep unlimited plan, bonus to get price match.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by danger123 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, hope it works!

I purchased Best Buy online this afternoon. Now the wait begins.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-13 at 10.28.23 PM.png 
Views:	818 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	100707
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-13 at 10.28.14 PM.png 
Views:	820 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	100708

Also, Verizon currently
    I called 1-800-BEST-BUY about price match, he confirmed.

I completed my order. Then I drove to local Best Buy with invoice and proof of Verizon deal and was promptly denied in the rudest way possible. I spoke to 2 reps and a manager texted her two cents from somewhere in the store. Wasn't so much the "no", rather the exasperate smirks, bad attitudes, utter indifference and lack of any courtesy. There were DMV employees off to side saying,"Oh, thats just rude."

Came home called customer service and gave a detailed incident report. Anyways, I'm well aware of fine print in Best Buy's price guarantee - thats why I had called 1-800 # first and had corporate OK before completing the order. Be great to keep unlimited plan, bonus to get price match.

Did you have the phone shipped to your home because if you have a BB rep activate it then you will lose the unlimited plan then will have to call verizon to fight and get it back.

danger123
    Let us know if everything worked out.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by alxarambula; 01-16-2014 at 06:27 AM.

How would this work if I have a Droid Bionic, with a SIM card that wouldn't fit in the Samsung Galaxy S4? Or would it...? I really want to try to keep my unlimited data, and I really want an S4, replaceable battery and micro SD support also being important to me. I've been looking at Swappa, but I've never bought a used phone from a stranger online before, (stranger danger!) and I'm a little concerned. The cheapest S4 I've seen on there was $350 for the phone only, no accessories.
Page 1 of 26 1234 ... LastLast