Anyone else thinking about breaking up with Verizon?

rooktdphi

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Curious if anyone else is tempted to make the jump to T-Mobile. If anyone goes through with it today, how was the process? I'm still trying to figure out, what the hook is... deal seems too good to be true

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
For any catches always read the bottom of any site or TV commercial ... they have to tell you the real truth down there :).

Quoted from the bottom of the tmobile.com/breakup site.

"Limited time offer; subject to change. At participating stores. Eligible device trade-in, new device purchase, qualifying credit, port-in from AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint, and qualifying postpaid service required. Payments consist of: (1) credit of device trade-in value, and (2) prepaid MasterCard card reflecting Early Termination Fee. Tax on ETF not included. You must submit final bill showing ETF within 2 calendar months of port-in and be active and in good standing when payment is processed; allow up to 8 weeks. Additional validation may be required. Up to 5 lines; all lines must be activated in same T-Mobile market with same billing address and area code. One per subscriber. Check your contract with your carrier for your rights and obligations. MasterCard card is reimbursement on new device, service, or port-in; for any tax implications of payment, consult a tax advisor. Fastest LTE Network: Based on download speeds."

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Fable

Android Rules
Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Im edging closer to giving T-Mobile a whirl. I still have unlimited Data so I am already paying full retail for my phones. But I would save 25.00 dollars a month and get unlimited talk as a bonus. Its very tempting - I just need to figure out if the coverage in the areas I frequent is worthwhile. If so its a no brainer.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Im edging closer to giving T-Mobile a whirl. I still have unlimited Data so I am already paying full retail for my phones. But I would save 25.00 dollars a month and get unlimited talk as a bonus. Its very tempting - I just need to figure out if the coverage in the areas I frequent is worthwhile. If so its a no brainer.

There are ways to keep unlimited when upgrading, if you are willing to do a bit of work

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Curious if anyone else is tempted to make the jump to T-Mobile. If anyone goes through with it today, how was the process? I'm still trying to figure out, what the hook is... deal seems too good to be true

There are 3 basic points

-tmobile will pay actual etf
-you must trade in a phone, and you will get up to $300
-you must buy a new tmobile device

The last point is a stickler, imo.

For example, you buy a verizon Note 3 for $300

$300 Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
$63 sales tax (CA,appropriate)
$30 Verizon upgrade fee
-$175 tmobile trade in value
$708 tmobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3
$63 (ca approximate)

Assuming using the Verizon $60 loyalty unlimited talk text and 2gb data or T-Mobile Unlimited Talk text and 2.5gb data simple choice, so monthly price is the same. Though, if you need Unlimited, tmobile offers it for $10 more a month

$989 Total Cost of hardware to switch to tmobile

$393 Total Cost of hardware if remaining on Verizon

Note your situation may be different, you should calculate for yourself the cost of hardware and the plan price difference.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Not even thinking of moving to t mobile as their coverage here is crap. Have been on VZW family plan forever and wouldn't even consider t mobile. Their service here is atrocious and worse in surrounding rural areas. I am staying with VERIZON which has always worked for me.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not even thinking of moving to t mobile as their coverage here is crap. Have been on VZW family plan forever and wouldn't even consider t mobile. Their service here is atrocious and worse in surrounding rural areas. I am staying with VERIZON which has always worked for me.

Pretty much my thought process. Before I could even consider a switch I need to see that they'd be able to provide the same type of coverage I have with Verizon. So far from my experience Verizon still provides the best coverage where I live and work and travel. When traveling, I've always had coverage even LTE in remote areas I didn't expect it. To me that's invaluable! :)

Not to mention I still have grandfathered unlimited data and get a good discount (20%) from my employer. Switching would be a cut my nose to spite my face kind of thing. Makes no sense for me. :)

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile's fine as long as you don't go off the main roads in life. The places you might be most likely to need service in an emergency you'll have none.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I do wish the other carriers had more coverage areas outside big cities. Where I'm at Verizon is literally all that works, many find that hard to believe but it's true. If AT&T worked around here I would be on a GSM carrier because there are so many more device options.

Sent From My Woven Black and Yellow Moto X

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I switched. I had been on Verizon for the past 8 years or so, I think, and just got tired of the extremely mediocre mobile data speeds in the Silicon Valley. 5-6 MBPS on 4G LTE in the center of the tech world--just ridiculous. And I kept getting kicked down to 3G, which is <1 MBPS. I was also irked by the way they abruptly changed the upgrade policy from 18 months to 24 months--I was anticipating for several months the ability to upgrade my phone this past October, and then sorry! Out of luck. I spoke to customer service and was escalated to a manager level, but they basically said there was nothing they could do as far as grandfathering me in for an upgrade. My contract ends at the beginning of March, so I just figured that enough was enough, bought a Nexus 5 from Google, and started up with T-Mobile, initially just to test things out in the Silicon Valley. Now that I've used it for a couple of weeks here and in San Francisco, I'm satisfied enough about the data speeds (10-12 MBPS on HSPA and 30-40 MBPS on LTE) that I'm going to cancel VZW and eat the ETF. Since I bought my phone outright, I don't qualify for T-Mobile's offer to cover the ETF, but it really doesn't matter that much to me, since this late in my contract, the ETF costs about as much as one bill.

One of the nice things about T-Mobile is if it turns out to be horrible reception in areas where I need it but haven't been to yet, then I can simply cancel the service without any penalty, and then try AT&T. But I am optimistic about T-Mobile's ongoing coverage expansion, especially after buying that large block of 700 MHz spectrum from Verizon recently.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile's fine as long as you don't go off the main roads in life. The places you might be most likely to need service in an emergency you'll have none.

Right. Or even if you simply go to small towns, like where my parents live. That's what's keeping me on Verizon.

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Unless you live near a Major road, in a major city or near a dense populated area, and live atleast 3 stories up... Go ahead... Switch to TMOBILE :)

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Thats all find and dandy, and in a few weeks when TMOBILE ANNOUNCES they are merging with SPRINT..... Ya.... Good luck with that. I just left SPRINT for Verizon because that Network is a HOT MESS....and When SPRINT and TMOBILE Merge end 2014/Beginning 2015.... Merging LTE/HSPA and CDMA & 5 BANDS OF SPECTRUM???? Hahaha Good Luck....

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Unless you live near a Major road, in a major city or near a dense populated area, and live atleast 3 stories up... Go ahead... Switch to TMOBILE :)

2 story houses are rare in Jacksonville FL... And Jacksonville is one of the biggest land mass wise in the US... AND I still get service everywhere. T-Mobile isn't perfect I know but their coverage is getting better and better.. It's not like it was a few years ago even though people seem to think that.

Thats all find and dandy, and in a few weeks when TMOBILE ANNOUNCES they are merging with SPRINT..... Ya.... Good luck with that. I just left SPRINT for Verizon because that Network is a HOT MESS....and When SPRINT and TMOBILE Merge end 2014/Beginning 2015.... Merging LTE/HSPA and CDMA & 5 BANDS OF SPECTRUM???? Hahaha Good Luck....

You need to read the Internet more man... That has been confirmed as not happening.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I switched. I had been on Verizon for the past 8 years or so, I think, and just got tired of the extremely mediocre mobile data speeds in the Silicon Valley. 5-6 MBPS on 4G LTE in the center of the tech world--just ridiculous. And I kept getting kicked down to 3G, which is <1 MBPS. I was also irked by the way they abruptly changed the upgrade policy from 18 months to 24 months--I was anticipating for several months the ability to upgrade my phone this past October, and then sorry! Out of luck. I spoke to customer service and was escalated to a manager level, but they basically said there was nothing they could do as far as grandfathering me in for an upgrade. My contract ends at the beginning of March, so I just figured that enough was enough, bought a Nexus 5 from Google, and started up with T-Mobile, initially just to test things out in the Silicon Valley. Now that I've used it for a couple of weeks here and in San Francisco, I'm satisfied enough about the data speeds (10-12 MBPS on HSPA and 30-40 MBPS on LTE) that I'm going to cancel VZW and eat the ETF. Since I bought my phone outright, I don't qualify for T-Mobile's offer to cover the ETF, but it really doesn't matter that much to me, since this late in my contract, the ETF costs about as much as one bill.

One of the nice things about T-Mobile is if it turns out to be horrible reception in areas where I need it but haven't been to yet, then I can simply cancel the service without any penalty, and then try AT&T. But I am optimistic about T-Mobile's ongoing coverage expansion, especially after buying that large block of 700 MHz spectrum from Verizon recently.

They are buying block a, which is 5x5,which is a small block. Verizon uses 10x10 700MHz nationwide and both Verizon and tmobile have 20x20 aws, which is what I would consider large blocks.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
If AT&T worked around here I would be on a GSM carrier because there are so many more device options.
Options are nice. I had tmobile for a few years and their voice/call quality is nothing short of excellent. GSM is good at that. If either AT&T or T-Mo had Verizon style coverage I'd switch in a New York minute. Coverage is what keeps me with Verizon and that's about it. I hike in the Cascades a lot and friends on AT&T almost always lose signal. I have coverage , they don't, end of story. Better voice quality is worthless if theres no connection. Its a phone first.

Thats all find and dandy, and in a few weeks when TMOBILE ANNOUNCES they are merging with SPRINT..... Ya.... Good luck with that. I just left SPRINT for Verizon
I tried sprint after leaving tmobile. What a huge mistake that was! I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Worst network ever! Paid WTF just to get out. What a joke. Came to Verizon and the coverage never stops amazing me. Their voice quality is decent. I don't get complaints from callers. The coverage is worth it.

Last edited:

shouse3

May 11, 2012
Visit site
to be honest I have been thinking about switching but s most have stated its about coverage. I have both Verzion and T-Mobile and there is a world of difference the offer sounds good but I'm wait and see if T-Moile's signal gets better with there recent deal with Verzion.

rodney0905

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

I fully support T - Mobile. I love what they are doing to shake up the mobile industry. I use their service quite often but I travel to areas of Ohio where they are just a no go. When I'm hiking or biking, I get nothing so I have to keep Verizon. This is an issue for two reasons: Data connection and safety - I hike and bike alone so I keep Life 360 on so my family knows where I am. I can't use the phone if I don't have service.

Wish more companies were making moves like this.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae