Can't make up my mind! Which droid?

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I am both looking forward to and dreading this Sunday, when I can finally get rid of this BB Curve. I hate this phone so I can't wait to get rid of it. But I got 3-4 good choices to choose from:

DInc
DX
D2
Fascinate

I loved the keyboard I had on a enV that I used to have, so the D2 gets the bonus there.
I love the size of the DX screen.
I hear really good things about the quality of the Fascinate screen.
And DInc, well its been out for a while so it has to had the bugs worked out, right? Right?

The things really important to me is performance and battery life. This BB is so slow, I keep wanting to crush it in my hand. And battery life is important, as a dead phone won't do much.

Keyboard is of medium importance. I want to be able to type without having to correct mistakes. The BB keyboard is too small, and I'm not familiar with typing on a touch screen.

Weight and size aren't an issue. So, what do you think my best bet will be? Has any of these phones had any universal issues that I should be aware off?

(I wish there was a large matrix summarizing these phones together)

Thanks

iilex

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion, you should gun for either the droidx or the fascinate. Out of all your roster, the dx has been receiving the heaviest developer support so far and has a great potential software wise. Though, on the other hand, the fascinate is part of the Samsung galaxy s series, which is arguably the highest tier of phones to run android to date.

You can't go wrong with Motorola hardware, but the hummingbird chipset in the fascinate will assure you will be able to run even the most intensive programs on your phone.

The bottom line is preference at this point between the two, though in my opinion, the galaxy s will show you a lot of potential throughout your 2 year cycle.

Now if you were on sprint, this would have been no contest...

But that's a whole 'nother story!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

bmcclure937

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend the Droid X or Fascinate if you are looking for pure power. ;) ... but I do like the Droid Incredible.

If you can hold off until beginning of 2011 there will be some beastly devices coming out :D

Theodosius

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What do you want more? Big screen, or keyboard? Or a smaller screen with sense, or a medium screen with the crappy (imho) touchwiz. Or can you wait to see the new choices? If you can wait you might wanna wait till January. If not, then if you need a keyboard get the Droid 2. If you need a big screen get the Droid X. If you need a smooth UI and Sense, then get the droid incredible. If you neeed the superamoled screen and need bing pre-loaded with touchwize, get the fascinate.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Be warned, none of them will have the battery life of your BB so don't expect it, but I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. Personally the Fascinate would be last on my list. I'm not a fan of Samsung phones.

My first choice would be the X. You'll LOVE the screen real estate. Droid 2 would be my second choice. It has a very nice keyboard without adding a bunch of bulk. You can even get an R2D2 version ;)

anon(40232)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I ended up taking a chance with the Fascinate. Side by side with the X, the larger screen on the X wasn't as noticeable as the vibrant colors on the Samsung. And the Bing issue sounds like something I can fix later.

Sadly, I spent a couple of hours and went to 4 Verizon stores with no help, and it was only customer service on the phone that was able to make things work. Since I was only 1 year in, all the stores wanted to kick me up to a 700 minute plan (when I barely use 100 min a month) and tacking on an extra $20 a month to my bill. But in the end, all that means is I have to wait a couple more days, but hey, its better than 8 more months.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I can't decide between the Fascinate or the DroidX. I was leaning towards the Fascinate, but now with the X (cross my fingers) getting 2.2 I'm leaning towards the X. I have 13 days from today at the soonest to decide.

I love my original Droid, but time for something new!

I also have an upgrade in November that I will save for an LTE Android phone in Q1 of next year.

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd go with the Incredible or Dx .
Fascinate being the last on my list of recommendations for 3 reasons :
1. Samsung poor CS
2. GPS issue
3.Bing( but there are works around on this )

Between the Incredible and dx a close race . I do like sense over blur but you can install lancherPro, and update is optional for Plus but opens up more features and it makes the dx so much smoother with free or plus version.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I hated the D2, personally. I think the Incredible is a really solid phone. I had the option 3 weeks ago, because my D2 crapped out, to pick any phone in the store. Because I had had 7 frickin Motorolas, the X was never really an option for me. I picked the Fascinate. It doesn't disappoint.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
UPdate:

Reoccuring problems of known software issues on the dx would have me Not recommening it to anyone . It will take a motorola update to fix the known software issues I am speaking of and also in the motorola forum.

It was a major blunder of motorola to release such a buggy froyo update , 2 hard resets with all backs up off and all applications reinstalled from new copies over time did not fix anything, and I'm not wasting anymore time doing resets on buggy software. A refurd will not correct this phone. I have is brand new looking phone cosmetic wise .The HTC Incredible on the other hand is performing great in comparison.

iTz Nicholas72

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I would go with the Fascinate. The GPS issue doesn't affect my phone nor my brothers. I think the more recent models are less prone to getting it.

The screen is AMAZING!

At first I was bummed about no Froyo but look how many problems it caused the DX.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk