Within a month of upgrade, looking for recommendation

smithk1

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

My mom and I are on an Alltel legacy plan that includes unlimited data. I'm looking to upgrade her to a smartphone and upgrade my own phone. I've been doing a lot of reading on the $60 loyalty plan and giving up my unlimited data. This is blasphemy, I know, but since I'm using approximately .25gb per month, I don't see value in buying a phone at retail price to keep it. Is this something I should try to negotiate now that we're closing in on the end of the contract or is it better to wait until I'm ready to upgrade?

Looking for your thoughts and suggestions. Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello all,

My mom and I are on an Alltel legacy plan that includes unlimited data. I'm looking to upgrade her to a smartphone and upgrade my own phone. I've been doing a lot of reading on the $60 loyalty plan and giving up my unlimited data. This is blasphemy, I know, but since I'm using approximately .25gb per month, I don't see value in buying a phone at retail price to keep it. Is this something I should try to negotiate now that we're closing in on the end of the contract or is it better to wait until I'm ready to upgrade?

Welcome to the Android forums. Is that a typo? Or do you really mean 0.25 GB?

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
He probably has a flip phone... Go ahead Johnny... Give up your unlimited data and pick up 2 brand new smartphones.... So you can come here after a week ranting about receiving text msgs from vzw telling you you are approaching 90% of your data usage.

I see unlimited data as insurance.

Even if you hardly
(use more than 2GB) (lose your phone)

Its wise to have it for when/if the time comes.

HTC One MAX

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Are you sure you want to switch to Verizon? There could be some sticker shock involved, although they generally have good coverage. The advantage to buying a phone outright is that it ends up costing less than if you got it with a 2 year contract, plus it usually has more resale value if it's a gsm unlocked phone. But if you can't afford the phones right now, a contract can be attractive, except the carriers do surprise you with charges for this or that, and it can end up being a lot more expensive than planned. Just some thoughts.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
He probably has a flip phone... Go ahead Johnny... Give up your unlimited data and pick up 2 brand new smartphones.... So you can come here after a week ranting about receiving text msgs from vzw telling you you are approaching 90% of your data usage.

Even if you hardly

HTC One MAX

Or he has a reliable WiFi connection. I'm on WiFi at home and work and use minimal data monthly

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site

Even if you hardly

HTC One MAX

There are people who have smartphones but use very little data.

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Have in mind what all the posters before me have written.
Also, using a smartphone means using data. How much, well depends on each of us. You might end up using a lot more data with a brand new smartphone with LTE then what you use now.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Ltauhmise

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
People use "phones" less as phones with every passing year. Cell phone companies aren't stupid~ they know that data is the cashcow. That's why they offer you that nonsense unlimited voice and text. If you currently have unlimited data, like myself, you're better off buying the phone off Swappa or EBAY instead of the retail store. You'll benefit from it later as a smartphone inevitably leads to higher data usage because of the convenience at your fingertips. That, coupled with the fact that verizon has the best network in terms of reliability, you'll be making a smart investment.

I have unlimited data and NEVER pay full retail for my phone. Just be a smart shopper. I picked up a like-new Galaxy Note 2 for $140bucks and a BRAND NEW LG Intuition for $100 off of ebay. If you know how to bid, you can get whatever phone you want. So good luck!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
People use "phones" less as phones with every passing year. Cell phone companies aren't stupid~ they know that data is the cashcow. That's why they offer you that nonsense unlimited voice and text. If you currently have unlimited data, like myself, you're better off buying the phone off Swappa or EBAY instead of the retail store. You'll benefit from it later as a smartphone inevitably leads to higher data usage because of the convenience at your fingertips. That, coupled with the fact that verizon has the best network in terms of reliability, you'll be making a smart investment.

I have unlimited data and NEVER pay full retail for my phone. Just be a smart shopper. I picked up a like-new Galaxy Note 2 for $140bucks and a BRAND NEW LG Intuition for $100 off of ebay. If you know how to bid, you can get whatever phone you want. So good luck!

Finding a like new note 2 for $140 at this time is like finding a needle in a haystack. Sure it is possible but the chances of someone easily replicating a deal like that are very slim.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

smithk1

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I truly mean .25GB/month. I have the Blackberry Bold 9930 right now and am in a wifi environment 23 hours per day. I am with Verizon currently and have minimal options outside of prepaid and AT&T. If I'm looking to go prepaid, I might at well purchase a phone and keep my unlimited data. If I go to AT&T, I lose the unlimited data anyway. The major caveat here is my mom's dumb phone plan. If we stick together, I have to change something with our current plan. I appreciate the comments so far.

tjrssibelle

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You might want to upgrade your mother's line to get a subsidised phone, activate on her line then transfer the phone to your line and keep unlimited data...

Sent from my VERIZON LG G2

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I truly mean .25GB/month. I have the Blackberry Bold 9930 right now and am in a wifi environment 23 hours per day. I am with Verizon currently and have minimal options outside of prepaid and AT&T. If I'm looking to go prepaid, I might at well purchase a phone and keep my unlimited data. If I go to AT&T, I lose the unlimited data anyway. The major caveat here is my mom's dumb phone plan. If we stick together, I have to change something with our current plan. I appreciate the comments so far.

The Moto X is relatively inexpensive, and can be used on all carriers. That may be an option.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674