1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon: contract ending - downgrading my plan and other questions

Hi,

My contract with VZW ends on the 15th, hubby on the 19th. We'd like to let it run out and not be under contract at least for awhile. Neither one of us needs a new phone. I was getting hyped about going with T-Mobile (for me) but when I called them an hour ago I learned that in my area I'd only get 2G service not 4G-anything. Not going that route. Hubby *has* to stay with VZW because he needs their coverage with his job.

I need to cut some cost, so my question(s) are:

1. Does my contract run out the moment the calendar turns over to the 15th or do I have to get thru the entire 15th before it's done?

2. Currently I have 4G plan, hubby has a dumb phone (NOT getting a smartphone). If I drop my data to 2G today or tomorrow is that going to kick me into a new contract?

3. IF I recall correctly, after 6 mos of being off contract, we then become new customers again if we go back under contract which means we would qualify for any new customer deals after that time. Yes? No?

Thanks!
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-15-2014 at 10:15 PM.
    Deb
    Save a life & make your life better.
    Adopt a rescue or shelter dog.

Global Posts
    13,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: contract ending - downgrading my plan and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyKids View Post
    Hi,

My contract with VZW ends on the 15th, hubby on the 19th. We'd like to let it run out and not be under contract at least for awhile. Neither one of us needs a new phone. I was getting hyped about going with T-Mobile (for me) but when I called them an hour ago I learned that in my area I'd only get 2G service not 4G-anything. Not going that route. Hubby *has* to stay with VZW because he needs their coverage with his job.

I need to cut some cost, so my question(s) are:

1. Does my contract run out the moment the calendar turns over to the 15th or do I have to get thru the entire 15th before it's done?

2. Currently I have 4G plan, hubby has a dumb phone (NOT getting a smartphone). If I drop my data to 2G today or tomorrow is that going to kick me into a new contract?

3. IF I recall correctly, after 6 mos of being off contract, we then become new customers again if we go back under contract which means we would qualify for any new customer deals after that time. Yes? No?

Thanks!
    1. As I always understood it, your contract would expire at 12:01 am on the 16th.
    2. I think that may require a new contract.
    3. Unsure.

Another option would be have you looked into something like Net 10? I think you can take your number and become a prepaid customer.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

2. You can change data plan from 4gb to 2gb anytime even on contract, it would not affect contract end date, regardless of on or off contract.

3. No. If you currently have Verizon, even off contract for any period of time, you would be considered a current customer. Not that this necessarily is a bad thing. I picked up the note 3 for $90 on upgrade on release day. For new customers, it would have been $210.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I'll check on Net10. I finally got sick of all this plan changing and phone buying or not buying and just dropped me to 2GB yesterday. I can be so bad at making decisions sometimes. If the Note 3 comes down in price and I have money I can afford to part with to soothe any residual phone lust I might spring for it at that point. Right now $249 at Wirefly and my wallet cringes when I even so much as think about buying. I have to get better at curbing my gadget lust anyway.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Deb
    Thanked by:
    dlgus 

No 6 months period. Once your contract expires, your still a customer, your just not under contract and can leave without penalty.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I was more curious how long you have to be off contract if you want to go back to Verizon and be a new customer to take advantage of a new customer deals and pricing.

Deb

I don't know how much you are paying now, but I know you have been a loyal VZW customer and you will be out of contract. Have you considered asking them if you could have the $60 loyalty plan for 2GB data, unlimited talk and text on your line? I also think they have a $35 loyalty plan for basic phones, though I am not sure what is included in the plan. $95 before tax for 2 lines on VZW seems pretty affordable. Heck, maybe your hubby would even want to get a smartphone too. $120 before tax is still pretty good.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Default Re: Verizon: contract ending - downgrading my plan and other questions

Plan situation has been remedied. Thanks.

Deb

Plan situation has been remedied. Thanks.

What was the solution?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I just downgraded my SE plan to 2G from 4G. It was about the same $ as the other options.
    Deb

I just downgraded my SE plan to 2G from 4G. It was about the same $ as the other options.
    So you are paying $130 per month. Why not move to the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data for you and $35 loyalty unlimited talk text basic phone plan for him? Total would be $95

12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Because hubby needs unlimited min.

Deb

Because hubby needs unlimited min.

The $35 loyalty unlimited talk text plan has unlimited minutes.

I was thinking the $35 basic device plan was limited to 500 minutes, but if it is unlimited, I agree, go for it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

According to CS it's 500 min.

Deb
    Thanked by:

According to CS it's 500 min.

Thanks for the update and sorry for the misinformation. I thought it was unlimited but I guess not

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

No problem, at least that's what they told me. Who knows what they'll tell the next person, heh?

Deb

They have a $20 250mb tier now, so a basic phone would run $50 with unlimited talk text and 250mb. For you, the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data should work. So you would be looking at $110 total.

Verizon 250mb share everything plan for $20 (plus device charge)

There is also a PagePlus $40 plan for unlimited talk text and 500mb . Personally I would stick with Verizon postpaid because you get new phones every two years, so the cost is not that much more.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts

I had a 5 or 6 GB plan ( don't remember which), and dropped to 4 when I moved to a house that has wireless. It did not require me to extend my contract. I am monitoring my usage, and will drop again if I need to.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

I rechecked their site last night, seems their basic PRE-PAID @ $50mo includes unlimited talk/text now. Their $70 4G data for my smartphone puts me @ $120 which is then equal or even $10 less than what I'll be paying for 2G after dropping my plan from 4 to 2. But I heard that the prepaid plans run don't use the 4G LTE towers? Anyone know?

UPDATE: online chat rep I just spoke with now said 4G but not 4G LTE. So just how big of a difference would this be?
    Last edited by ShaggyKids; 01-27-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Deb

I rechecked their site last night, seems their basic PRE-PAID @ $50mo includes unlimited talk/text now. Their $70 4G data for my smartphone puts me @ $120 which is then equal or even $10 less than what I'll be paying for 2G after dropping my plan from 4 to 2. But I heard that the prepaid plans run don't use the 4G LTE towers? Anyone know?

UPDATE: online chat rep I just spoke with now said 4G but not 4G LTE. So just how big of a difference would this be?

Prepaid has no 4GLTE or 4g. Verizon 4g is 4GLTE. There is no other 4g on Verizon.

My recommendation for you is the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data postpaid.

For hubby the postpaid share everything plan with 250 mb and unlimited talk and text for $50. While the price maybe the same as prepaid, you do get subsidized phones, meaning you can get a note 3 (or other smartphone) on this line then simply put the basic phone back on the line. Imo, this makes it a much better deal than prepaid. Note that prepaid basic phone does include unlimited data, if that is a concern.

Banned

Global Posts
    933 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Note that prepaid basic phone does include unlimited data, if that is a concern.
    But 3G Verizon speeds are so slow that it isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozume View Post
    But 3G Verizon speeds are so slow that it isn't worth it.
    But the op doesn't need data on the basic line. In any event, the $45 plan with unlimited talk and text and 250mb data would be the best option for her hubby. It also includes subsidized phones.