Verizon: Why I don't want volte

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
While volte would give better voice calling and probably better battery life and potentially a simpler bill just for data sounds enticing, the reality is that Verizon would find other ways to gouge the customer, perhaps with unfriendly plans.

But really my biggest concern is that Verizon would make volte devices incompatible with current plans(or last least currently grandfathered plans) , meaning if you want the latest device once volte deployment is complete, then you would have to move to a new plan. And my guess is that for me, any new plan would be much more costly than what I am paying now.

Granted this is all speculation but I have a feeling that volte implementation would be bad news for me.

What about you? Are you looking forward to VoLTE, or cringing at the thought of it?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by a moderator:

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Why I don't want volte

While volte would give better voice calling and probably better battery life and potentially a simpler bill just for data sounds enticing, the reality is that Verizon would find other ways to gouge the customer, perhaps with unfriendly plans.

But really my biggest concern is that Verizon would make volte devices incompatible with current plans(or last least currently grandfathered plans) , meaning if you want the latest device once volte deployment is complete, then you would have to move to a new plan. And my guess is that for me, any new plan would be much more costly than what I am paying now.

Granted this is all speculation but I have a feeling that volte implementation would be bad news for me.

What about you? Are you looking forward to VoLTE, or cringing at the thought of it?

I'm concerned for the network. Don't you think it would crowd it up?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I don't like it because data prices will be dumb... Then customers have to be careful not to stream to much music or something in a month just so they can make phone calls... Stupid.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

shouse3

May 11, 2012
Visit site

So to make a voice call it uses your data? If that's the case than its not a good thing

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

So to make a voice call it uses your data? If that's the case than its not a good thing

Yeah VoLTE (voice over LTE) would use your data.

shouse3

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I wish Tmo service was better I would drop verzion in a heartbeat. A 20 gig block is 150 a month on top of the other stuff. well they can keep their volte it don't seem worth it

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Eventually in the future it will all be VoLTE but it won't be for awhile.

Verizon said that it would sunset cdma 2021 at the earliest. But when the last non volte capable phone would come to Verizon is unknown. Still, if you have an old phone, you should be safe until 2021 at the earliest. How much you would want to use an ancient phone is another story.

hokiesteve

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

Yeah VoLTE (voice over LTE) would use your data.

I don't know that is true. they may still bill the volte traffic as voice traffic since it isn't just another VoIP application but rather an add on to the LTE network.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I don't use my phone a lot for voice but some use a lot of voice time. I would think in order for this to work and not be a data hungry , money gulping feature then Verizon would have to come up with another way of billing for calls. I seriously doubt a 2gig data plan would be popular if a few calls exhausted it. Does anyone even know how much data per minute would be used during a call? Of course not. This is unchartered territory. I trust Verizon will figure out a way to make them money while retaining customers. Its what they do best, right?

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
There are many things they could do. I am sure they could monitor which traffic is voice traffic and bill it as such. I doubt much will change in that regard. I don't have any numbers but I am a sure voice traffic doesn't use much data on the grand scheme of things comparatively, anyway. By then, I am sure most of their spectrum will be dedicated to whatever future generation of LTE is available as well.

binaryhermit

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
MMS/Picture messaging technically uses data, but you don't get billed for the usage, just for the message (FWIW, they used to bill for the message and the data, but it hasn't been like that in years). I could see VoLTE being billed similarly.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish Tmo service was better I would drop verzion in a heartbeat. A 20 gig block is 150 a month on top of the other stuff. well they can keep their volte it don't seem worth it

T-Mo in Seattle looks to be pretty good (since it's a Seattle based company) I'm making the switch later this week. Just need to sell my Note 3 first. You should get a pre-paid phone to test out T-Mo to see if it truly is that bad. I know for sure data speeds are way faster for T-Mo than Verizon. I regularly only get about 10 Mbps down on Verizon and about 40 on T-Mo.

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I am looking forward to it is for the devices. I love my Nexus 7 LTE and have been using it as my primary device for almost 2 months.

You can truly see and appreciate how Big Red's 4G network has grown, when you are using a 4G only device and don't even realize it all the time.

A couple years ago, having a 4G only device would mean large areas with no coverage. If Verizon moved to volte, I would think that it would be easier for companies to release 4G only unlocked devices, with or without Big Red's approval.

shouse3

May 11, 2012
Visit site
I have both verzion and tmo. I live in Houston and I have a dead spot in my living room with tmo. I do alot of traveling with work (truck driver) so coverage is very important to my self and my family. So with 5 smartphones, 1 ipad and 20 gigs data you can guess what my bill is like. My wife an I have been talking about switching to tmo, but with the dead spot in the house I can't swap now. You go down the street and boom LTE! And that sucks

Last edited:

sierrajinx9

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
This is sad

Also, I wish VERIZON would process their MMS Messages like Sprint did! If you where on WIFI... The Network would know and all MMS Messaging would be sent/received over your WIFI Connection...

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Voice Calls will NOT go against data usage... Just because the calls will be "ON LTE" does not mean it will be billed as data... It will still be billed as CALLS, Per Minute or Unlimited! VoLTE is the new future... SPRINTS New Network is CDMA & 4G VoLTE but VoLTE is disabled because they use CDMA (Which will be going away).... TMOBILES NETWORK is also VoLTE Ready...

Its already been NOTED that Voice Calls will still be billed as MINUTES... They will need to upgrade Backhaul though, because Voice Calls will still take up BANDWITH, even if its billed and labeled a voice call

Also, I wish VERIZON would process their MMS Messages like Sprint did! If you where on WIFI... The Network would know and all MMS Messaging would be sent/received over your WIFI Connection...

Where did they say it would still be minutes? I don't remember reading that but I'd like to.

Also I agree.. T-Mobile's wifi calling allows calls, texts, and MMS via wifi.. Very convenient.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta