N5 vs G2

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure this has been talked about before. Sorry guys. Just wanna k of your thoughts. I'm switching to T-Mobile from Verizon tomorrow. And want to know which phone you would choose. N5 or G2??

I want the N5 because I miss stock android, Google Wallet, and I like the Google Now integration.

Don't like that it's only 16gb. And the non-removable battery (spoiled by my Note 3).

The G2 looks awesome also. The camera, the battery, the screen oh my!!

The power/volume rocker on the back is probably something to get used to. And it's Isis compatible, but don't know about Google Wallet. Not until Kit Kat happens. And I hear the developer community is strong for this one. So I can just throw a ROM on it and get Kit Kat.

I'm lost guys. Help me out!!

Sent from my Black on Black Verizon Note 3

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The N5 comes in a 32GB option as well. For me if this is a contest between software and hardware, the hardware is so close as to be negligible, while the software is much much better on the Nexus, so that is where I'd land. The Camera would be the most concerning distinction for me aside from those two things.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
This is one of those things where you'll just have to decide, but I wouldn't trade my Nexus. I really feel better without any carrier or manufacturer bloatware and it's just so much clearer and cleaner to me.

I love knowing I'll get updates for the next 16 months (already owned it 2 months now).

I love that it's carrier unlocked and I can take it anywhere I want.

I love the speed. Seriously, nothing is faster than this phone.

Neither phone has removable battery or micro SD. The G2 does have better specs and battery. But I can't really speak to the benefits of the G2 because I don't have one.

If no bloatware is a priority, and updates, and speed, and portability (carrier unlocked), go with the Nexus. But if it were me (and it was! :D I'd order a 32 straight from Google and just bring it where I wanted.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Well either you choose your getting a great device.

I went with the G2 (actually for my daughter) and it's pretty amazing. The bright screen with vibrant colors, display size is nice too. I really like the back buttons as well. The battery has few equals and the overall performance is to notch.

The N5 in not able to comment on as I don't have it. I gave it the once over at Sprint and it seems like a solid phone.

Good luck

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Battery life and camera are important to me so that's why I got the G2. They're both good phones though.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure this has been talked about before. Sorry guys. Just wanna k of your thoughts. I'm switching to T-Mobile from Verizon tomorrow. And want to know which phone you would choose. N5 or G2??

I want the N5 because I miss stock android, Google Wallet, and I like the Google Now integration.

Don't like that it's only 16gb. And the non-removable battery (spoiled by my Note 3).

The power/volume rocker on the back is probably something to get used to. And it's Isis compatible, but don't know about Google Wallet. Not until Kit Kat happens. And I hear the developer community is strong for this one. So I can just throw a ROM on it and get Kit Kat.

I say go with the Nexus 5. Sure the battery isn't as good but I'd argue that the camera is pretty close or even better. The buttons on the G2 are terrible imo
Software is far better, even if you did flash an AOSP ROM for the G2.
Go with the 32GB N5

Posted via Android Central App

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I can't get the 32 GB Nexus 5 because I'm having T-Mobile pay my ETF. So I have to buy the 16 GB model because that's all T-Mobile sells. Which is lame. So should I get the 32 GB G2 or the 16 GB Nexus 5??

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

*Edit* I forgot to say I'm having T-Mobile pay my ETF so I have to buy the 16 GB Nexus 5 since that's all T-Mobile sells.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you play games? Do you have a lot of music or movies?

This does make it a harder decision. I'd always opt for the most storage.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you play games? Do you have a lot of music or movies?

This does make it a harder decision. I'd always opt for the most storage.

I do play games. But I just won a Nvidia Shield from AC, so I'll probably use that to play games. I have a lot of music, but I use Play Music and Spotify. And since I'll have unlimited data from T-Mobile I was just thinking I would stream and use the cloud and stuff.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I do play games. But I just won a Nvidia Shield from AC, so I'll probably use that to play games. I have a lot of music, but I use Play Music and Spotify. And since I'll have unlimited data from T-Mobile I was just thinking I would stream and use the cloud and stuff.

Ahh that's cool. Lucky... I didn't win anything when I was eligible XD
16 should be fine if you're on the cloud.
The moto x would also be something to consider. Not sure if TMo has the 32 GB version

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

That sounds great! Congrats on winning the Nvidia. :D:thumbup::beer:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Go with the G2 if you are fine with rooting the phone. The LG software is a non-issue once you flash a custom ROM or use Xposed. The battery life is great and the back buttons are quite functional (open camera, control music, open quick note, recovery).

Get the N5 if you want the timely updates and prefer stock without having to mess with rooting and flashing a ROM.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
why not just keep the n3,and buy a cheap tmobile phone so tmobile pays your etf?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
why not just keep the n3,and buy a cheap tmobile phone so tmobile pays your etf?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Never thought about that. My wife is keeping her Verizon Moto X. I just really want kit kat, but more so Google Wallet. I hate using Isis and sometimes it's a pain. I never had any problems using GW.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Ahh that's cool. Lucky... I didn't win anything when I was eligible XD
16 should be fine if you're on the cloud.
The moto x would also be something to consider. Not sure if TMo has the 32 GB version

I really like the Moto X. My wife has one. She just switched from an iPhone and she loves it. She uses the touchless controls all the time. It just seems a little bit too small for my hands. I don't know if it's because I've had a Note 3 since launch. I had a GNex before and the X seems to be pretty close in size to that.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I really like the Moto X. My wife has one. She just switched from an iPhone and she loves it. She uses the touchless controls all the time. It just seems a little bit too small for my hands. I don't know if it's because I've had a Note 3 since launch. I had a GNex before and the X seems to be pretty close in size to that.

That's probably what it is. Big phones kind of ruin anything else. I have an S4 but I really like how the Moto X feels in the hand. Even if it is noticeably smaller.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
That's probably what it is. Big phones kind of ruin anything else. I have an S4 but I really like how the Moto X feels in the hand. Even if it is noticeably smaller.

Yeah it's a solid phone for sure with excellent features. If there is a Moto X 2 this year I'll probably snag one off contract now that I'm on T-Mobile. Now I'm just waiting for service to activate on my Note 3. The T-Mobile store didn't have the Nexus 5 (they ordered 2 yesterday and they already sold) so I'm im waiting for it.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's a solid phone for sure with excellent features. If there is a Moto X 2 this year I'll probably snag one off contract now that I'm on T-Mobile. Now I'm just waiting for service to activate on my Note 3. The T-Mobile store didn't have the Nexus 5 (they ordered 2 yesterday and they already sold) so I'm im waiting for it.

Yeah. I've been saying that I was going to get a Moto X but haven't done anything lol.
I'll get the X2 for sure though
Can't you ask them to set one apart for you?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

What phone did you wind up getting?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app