Browse internet while on a phone call (Verizon)

Bryant.Villada

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The previous guy who mentioned that sprint can do it would be correct if you are using your sprint phone in a 4g Wimax area. Which might have been what he is referring to. But LTE > Wimax so lets just wait for Verizon to let 4g loose.

snakeroot

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
It's not a CDMA limitation. There was a reg hack for the Samsung i760 that allowed me to surf while on the phone. Worked just fine. It's a Verizon policy limitation. Just like the Samsung i760 would tether allowing my computer to use the phone's internet connection, but Verizon wanted me to pay extra for their software to allow me to do this.

white_star_32

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
why couldn't you force calls (hack it) over 1x and use the evdo for data? And I'm not saying I know how, I'm literally asking if that's possible? I used to turn off the evdo on my old razr and just use the 1x to prolong battery life. I'm wondering if that's an option here...

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
It's not a CDMA limitation. There was a reg hack for the Samsung i760 that allowed me to surf while on the phone. Worked just fine. It's a Verizon policy limitation. Just like the Samsung i760 would tether allowing my computer to use the phone's internet connection, but Verizon wanted me to pay extra for their software to allow me to do this.

Actually it IS a limitation of CDMA. Its nothing like the tethering issue. Thats a registry hack/workaround to make it appear that the data usage is on your phone and not your PC itself.

Never heard of this with the i760. Have a link to the info? I'm curious as I know for a fact that CDMA does not allow simultaneous data + voice.

navysqrrl

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
It's CDMA tech issue, not VZW, as I understand it.

Verizon had the option to allow it, but declined. CDMA CAN allow data and voice at the same time, but Verizon opted out. I doubt they would change their mind now with LTE so close to being launched, which will allow it anyway.

Here's the source that explains how it WASN'T possible in the 2G/2.5G days, but IS possible with the 3G days. Verizon opted out of using the WCDMA however. http://www.abiresearch.com/Blog/Wireless_Blog/57

Last edited:

entwined82

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
When did Verizon decline this? Have proof of this? Everything I've ever been told (going back to the HTC Apache/6700) has been to the contrary. Including on ppcgeeks and XDA.

acipollo

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Yes, years ago I had a phone hacked to do both also. I know people will say its not possible with cdma, but my phone did it(after it was hacked)

navysqrrl

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
When did Verizon decline this? Have proof of this? Everything I've ever been told (going back to the HTC Apache/6700) has been to the contrary. Including on ppcgeeks and XDA.

Verizon may switch wireless standards - CNET News

Here is when they were thinking about it.

and here:

Verizon WCDMA adoption gets bad views - 3g news

and here is an article that breaks down WCDMA (UMTS) vs CDMA.

Avec Mobile: 3G two different technologies

EDIT: I'm looking for the press release when they opted to stay with normal CDMA.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken it's a limitation of the EVDO network and not necessarily CDMA. Verizon could have chosen to go with SVDO which would have allowed simultaneous voice and data. SVDO is relatively new (as of last year I believe) and verizon is focusing on going LTE. Currently the only way to do both is to be connected to a wifi. Tether your computer to your phone, have someone call it and I'll bet anyone that the data connection will drop.

Last edited:

navysqrrl

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken it's a limitation of the EVDO network and not necessarily CDMA. Verizon could have chosen to go with SVDO which would have allowed simultaneous voice and data. SVDO is relatively new (as of last year I believe) and verizon is focusing on going LTE. Currently the only way to do both is to be connected to a wifi.

EDIT: Correct after edited :p

Last edited:

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I am fairly certain this is a limitation of CDMA, as Sprint customers don't have simultaneous voice/data capabilities either, but ATT and I believe T-Mo customers can.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I am fairly certain this is a limitation of CDMA, as Sprint customers don't have simultaneous voice/data capabilities either, but ATT and I believe T-Mo customers can.

On AT&T and T-Mobile's 3G yes you can. Not on their Edge network though.

thrashtrash

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
i

i asked the same thing the second i heard this and i did a **** ton of digging and found that this is not an issue that will be fixed with the release of 4G in the not so distant future. My research found that this will be possible when 4G is rolled out and from what i hear it will be hitting select cities by the end of the year

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
i asked the same thing the second i heard this and i did a **** ton of digging and found that this is not an issue that will be fixed with the release of 4G in the not so distant future. My research found that this will be possible when 4G is rolled out and from what i hear it will be hitting select cities by the end of the year

That this is NOT an issue that will be fixed? Is that a typo? Because if not, your research is wrong. Verizon plans on using LTE for their 4G technology, which fully supports simultaneous Voice and Data.

Kaus

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Its a limitation on tecnology. Cdma cannot do both whereas gsm can. However that's pretty temporary seeing as vzw is going lte. For that matter were allready long term evolution in two cities, just no 4g/lte phones available.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I could browse on my s3 while on a data connection.. now with my S6 I need wi fi..
I figured it was a Verizon thing.. :-\

I will list why below.

[info]The older phones had two CDMA radios put in them (such as the S3 on Sprint). One dedicated to voice -- another dedicated to data. Therefore you could do voice and data. GSM has always been one radio because that one radio can do both tasks at the same time. They got around it on CDMA by simply adding another radio in there and dedicating each one to one task.

Now they're getting rid of that second CDMA radio. So therefore you can only use talk, or data -- not both at the same time. Now if you're using VoLTE for your calls it will allow voice and data since the call will be going through LTE (as data) so it is technically then all data which would bypass this restriction.[/info]