Browse internet while on a phone call (Verizon)

tStorm

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I did a few searches before posting this and didn't find any matches, but I'm sure it's been brought up before.

Brand new Droid owner, charging right now, and I've heard that you can't use the internet while you're on a call with someone. Is this true? If so, is there a work-around?

Thanks

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Only if you are connected with a WiFi connection. Verizon does not allow the use of data when on a phone call.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking they will be doing it soon if it is possible as ATT is using that as their marketing tool these days

I agree. I think we'll probably end up seeing this opened on Verizon.

But honestly... how often do you need to surf while talking on the phone... I haven't had this need once. I like to finish with Chatty Talkalotapus before proceeding to Intarweb McSurfaton.

tStorm

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I think we'll probably end up seeing this opened on Verizon.

But honestly... how often do you need to surf while talking on the phone... I haven't had this need once. I like to finish with Chatty Talkalotapus before proceeding to Intarweb McSurfaton.

I mean, that's true... but sometimes I'll get, "hey, what's the number to that restaurant?" And I'd love to reply, "I'm not sure, but let me look on my kick-ass Droid."

jlye834

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
This would definitely be a helpful addition if Verizon lets us do it. I've been in a few situations where I would have liked to look something up while on the phone.

tStorm

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for answering my question... I was convinced otherwise. That'd be cool if they allowed it, but I'll manage.

tdawgui

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't believe it's a matter of Verizon allowing it as much as it is a limitation of the technology.

EDIT: I totally misread your comment... *Over-Caffeinated Retard Here* Mmm Monster Energy :D

Now that the poster below mentioned the CDMA issue... I remember hearing something regarding that.

Last edited:

trentandrews

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This is a limitation of the technology CDMA does not allow both data and voice at the same time.

I came from ATT, the problem with ATT Network was the when you were on 2g the voice call would not make it though if you were using data.

rip14

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I can't wait for that day so I can talk on the phone, text, and look something up on the net all while driving ;)

johnatthebar

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I am reasonably confident this will be a non-issue when LTE comes around (with LTE hardware of course).

Currently this is indeed a restriction of CDMA technology.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
yea, LTE won't have this limitation, but we will all need new phones to be able to do it.

for now, wifi is the only way.

Bryant.Villada

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
It is a CDMA system limitation as far as I know. So the only way for this to be possible would be by using the WIFI on your WIFI enabled device.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
This is a limitation of the technology CDMA does not allow both data and voice at the same time.

I came from ATT, the problem with ATT Network was the when you were on 2g the voice call would not make it though if you were using data.

According to Sprint, it is possible. I'll see if I can find the documentation and post.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
According to Sprint, it is possible. I'll see if I can find the documentation and post.

Current CDMA revisions 0 and A are EVDO. EVolution Data Only. It actually stands for EVolution Data Optimized, but it truely is Data Only.

It is not possible to browse active data while on a call on either Sprint or Verizon.

Both could have opt'd for the better technology called SVDO, which allows for Voice and Data simultaneously, but both arent willing to spend money on that when they have a 4G technology around the corner.

http://www.windowscentral.com/cdma-development-group-announces-svdo-handle-calls-and-data-same-time

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan