Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Default Browse internet while on a phone call (Verizon)

I did a few searches before posting this and didn't find any matches, but I'm sure it's been brought up before.

Brand new Droid owner, charging right now, and I've heard that you can't use the internet while you're on a call with someone. Is this true? If so, is there a work-around?

Thanks
    Original Member

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Only if you are connected with a WiFi connection. Verizon does not allow the use of data when on a phone call.

I am thinking they will be doing it soon if it is possible as ATT is using that as their marketing tool these days

Quote Originally Posted by curtdragon View Post
    I am thinking they will be doing it soon if it is possible as ATT is using that as their marketing tool these days
    I agree. I think we'll probably end up seeing this opened on Verizon.

But honestly... how often do you need to surf while talking on the phone... I haven't had this need once. I like to finish with Chatty Talkalotapus before proceeding to Intarweb McSurfaton.
    You only wish you were Droidin' like me
    They see me Droidin', they hatin', my Big Red. Never gunna catch me rockin iPhone.
    Smoke Signals -> Rotary -> RAZR -> Droid
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tdawgui View Post
    I agree. I think we'll probably end up seeing this opened on Verizon.

But honestly... how often do you need to surf while talking on the phone... I haven't had this need once. I like to finish with Chatty Talkalotapus before proceeding to Intarweb McSurfaton.
    I mean, that's true... but sometimes I'll get, "hey, what's the number to that restaurant?" And I'd love to reply, "I'm not sure, but let me look on my kick-*** Droid."

Global Posts
    207 Global Posts

This would definitely be a helpful addition if Verizon lets us do it. I've been in a few situations where I would have liked to look something up while on the phone.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    202 Global Posts

Thank you for answering my question... I was convinced otherwise. That'd be cool if they allowed it, but I'll manage.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I don't believe it's a matter of Verizon allowing it as much as it is a limitation of the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Japultra View Post
    I don't believe it's a matter of Verizon allowing it as much as it is a limitation of the technology.
    EDIT: I totally misread your comment... *Over-Caffeinated Retard Here* Mmm Monster Energy

Now that the poster below mentioned the CDMA issue... I remember hearing something regarding that.
    Last edited by tdawgui; 12-01-2009 at 02:01 PM.
    You only wish you were Droidin' like me
    They see me Droidin', they hatin', my Big Red. Never gunna catch me rockin iPhone.
    Smoke Signals -> Rotary -> RAZR -> Droid

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts

It's CDMA tech issue, not VZW, as I understand it.

This is a limitation of the technology CDMA does not allow both data and voice at the same time.

I came from ATT, the problem with ATT Network was the when you were on 2g the voice call would not make it though if you were using data.

Global Posts
    985 Global Posts

We posted the same thing at the same time!
    The bending unit

ROM
    Stock (so far)

Maybe it'll be something we'll see with the advent of 4G?
    Droid -{+_+}- Razr
    http://squintzy.mybrute.com

Global Posts
    762 Global Posts

Yes, I can't wait for that day so I can talk on the phone, text, and look something up on the net all while driving
    -When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die.

Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4 (stock), JB 4.1

I am reasonably confident this will be a non-issue when LTE comes around (with LTE hardware of course).

Currently this is indeed a restriction of CDMA technology.

yea, LTE won't have this limitation, but we will all need new phones to be able to do it.

for now, wifi is the only way.

It is a CDMA system limitation as far as I know. So the only way for this to be possible would be by using the WIFI on your WIFI enabled device.
    Original Member

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by trentandrews View Post
    This is a limitation of the technology CDMA does not allow both data and voice at the same time.

I came from ATT, the problem with ATT Network was the when you were on 2g the voice call would not make it though if you were using data.
    According to Sprint, it is possible. I'll see if I can find the documentation and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Sikora View Post
    According to Sprint, it is possible. I'll see if I can find the documentation and post.
    Current CDMA revisions 0 and A are EVDO. EVolution Data Only. It actually stands for EVolution Data Optimized, but it truely is Data Only.

It is not possible to browse active data while on a call on either Sprint or Verizon.

Both could have opt'd for the better technology called SVDO, which allows for Voice and Data simultaneously, but both arent willing to spend money on that when they have a 4G technology around the corner.

http://www.wpcentral.com/cdma-develo...data-same-time

It is a CDMA issue art is GSM. Once Verizon goes to LTE it won't matter. VZW > All.

The previous guy who mentioned that sprint can do it would be correct if you are using your sprint phone in a 4g Wimax area. Which might have been what he is referring to. But LTE > Wimax so lets just wait for Verizon to let 4g loose.

It's not a CDMA limitation. There was a reg hack for the Samsung i760 that allowed me to surf while on the phone. Worked just fine. It's a Verizon policy limitation. Just like the Samsung i760 would tether allowing my computer to use the phone's internet connection, but Verizon wanted me to pay extra for their software to allow me to do this.

Global Posts
    158 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    It's CDMA tech issue, not VZW, as I understand it.

Yep Tis true.

why couldn't you force calls (hack it) over 1x and use the evdo for data? And I'm not saying I know how, I'm literally asking if that's possible? I used to turn off the evdo on my old razr and just use the 1x to prolong battery life. I'm wondering if that's an option here...

Quote Originally Posted by snakeroot View Post
    It's not a CDMA limitation. There was a reg hack for the Samsung i760 that allowed me to surf while on the phone. Worked just fine. It's a Verizon policy limitation. Just like the Samsung i760 would tether allowing my computer to use the phone's internet connection, but Verizon wanted me to pay extra for their software to allow me to do this.
    Actually it IS a limitation of CDMA. Its nothing like the tethering issue. Thats a registry hack/workaround to make it appear that the data usage is on your phone and not your PC itself.

Never heard of this with the i760. Have a link to the info? I'm curious as I know for a fact that CDMA does not allow simultaneous data + voice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast