VZW customer for 15+ yrs NOT HAPPY

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Does the official Verizon mobile hotspot still work on Kit Kat if you have unlimited data and pay the $30 a month for tethering?
I have Kit Kat 4.4 on my Droid Maxx, and the stock tethering app works just fine with unlimited data and the $30/mo Mobile Hotspot feature. I have used both WiFi and USB tethering. Haven't tried Bluetooth tethering.

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have Kit Kat 4.4 on my Droid Maxx, and the stock tethering app works just fine with unlimited data and the $30/mo Mobile Hotspot feature. I have used both WiFi and USB tethering. Haven't tried Bluetooth tethering.

Why not root your phone and get free tethering??? Saves you $30 a month

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Why not root your phone and get free tethering??? Saves you $30 a month
Can't root Kit Kat, at least on the Droid Maxx. You can root a previous OS version and update in such a way as to preserve root, but once you are on Kit Kat, no rooting exploit is known (yet). Besides, I get a corporate discount on the tethering fee, so it only costs me $24. And I really rather would not compromise the stability of my phone, either from a malicious third party or my own fumble fingers. Same reason I don't normally run with administrative privileges on my own PCs. Just a personal thing.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Which Kit Kat, 4.4 or 4.4.2? Doesn't Slap My Moto work on the Droid Maxx? It works on the Moto X and they are basically the same phone.
I am just passing on what is being discussed in the Droid Maxx subforum (http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ictions-maxx-kit-kat-getting-root-access.html ). They are saying that there is no known way to root the Droid Maxx on 4.4 unless you have done some preparatory work on a rooted pre-KitKat OS before upgrading to 4.4.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
On XDA, they say you can use Slap My Moto to root a Droid Maxx running 4.4. Not 4.4.2, though.

Slap My Moto for Droid Maxx Running 4.4
As I understand it, the key to updating 4.4 without prep work on a previous version is to be able to unlock the bootloader, like with developer editions. The boot loader on a stock Verizon Maxx is locked. I am not a guru on this kind of thing; just passing along what I have seen on related forums.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
As I understand it, the key to updating 4.4 without prep work on a previous version is to be able to unlock the bootloader, like with developer editions. The boot loader on a stock Verizon Maxx is locked. I am not a guru on this kind of thing; just passing along what I have seen on related forums.
If you have an unlocked bootloader, you can root easily. If not, someone has to find an exploit.

Jcase on XDA found such an exploit. He called his method Slap My Moto and it works to root the Moto X and the Droid Maxx running 4.4 with locked bootloaders because their guts are the same.

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Also - if you are Verizon, they are pushing the 4.4.2 OTA soon and there is no way to root a locked bootloader on the 4.4.2 boatloader and may never be. So don't take the OTA if you want root and have a locked bootloader.

CharlesH

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Jcase on XDA found such an exploit. He called his method Slap My Moto and it works to root the Moto X and the Droid Maxx running 4.4 with locked bootloaders because their guts are the same.
But at xda-developers - View Single Post - [4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Works with MotoWPNoMo) , it is stated that while the downgrade from 4.4 to 4.2.2 as required by the exploit works fine on the MotoX, that it doesn't work on the Maxx. Thus if you already on 4.4 on the Maxx, you are stuck. Maybe there is a newer version of the bootloader on the Maxx which removes the (unexpected) ability to downgrade?

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
But at xda-developers - View Single Post - [4.4 ROOT] SlapMyMoto 1.0 (Works with MotoWPNoMo) , it is stated that while the downgrade from 4.4 to 4.2.2 as required by the exploit works fine on the MotoX, that it doesn't work on the Maxx. Thus if you already on 4.4 on the Maxx, you are stuck. Maybe there is a newer version of the bootloader on the Maxx which removes the (unexpected) ability to downgrade?
The link I posted earlier is to posts by a guy with a Maxx who said it worked for him. So you have to read that thread.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
You shouldn't be mad at Verizon over a software update because A) they can't roll back your phone even if they wanted too, and B) aren't going to return a phone that is technically working. 600gb is the kind of use that is meant for land line based services. Sorry but people like you using 600GB a month is why they got rid of it in the first place. Yes, I understand they gave it to you to begin with, but that was because they were trying to get people into smartphones, now everyone has smartphones so they have to make sure that the network runs smooth. If everyone had unlimited, and was using that much data, their data speeds would suffer even more than they already do. That is the sad truth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia