VZW customer for 15+ yrs NOT HAPPY

candi ultra girl

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I accidentally upgraded to KitKat after having my ultra for only 3 days. Verizon wouldn't help me roll back to jellybean or let me exchange my phone (without paying a restock fee) I agreed to pay the fee and switch for another ultra still running jellybean but the vzw rep said it would be a waste of money because vzw is going to push the update and I eventually won't have an option. So I'm stuck paying my $39 hotspot fee when I was getting the use of my hotspot free on my DNA. I power two TV streaming media boxes, two tablets and my laptop. My average monthly GB usage is around 600gb. I have a 4 and 5 yr old who stream Netflix cartoons to their rooms all day. And never a glitch. So for $30 I shouldn't complain...however it really bothers me that Verizon made me upgrade and now an app I paid for is useless.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I accidentally upgraded to KitKat after having my ultra for only 3 days. Verizon wouldn't help me roll back to jellybean or let me exchange my phone (without paying a restock fee) I agreed to pay the fee and switch for another ultra still running jellybean but the vzw rep said it would be a waste of money because vzw is going to push the update and I eventually won't have an option. So I'm stuck paying my $39 hotspot fee when I was getting the use of my hotspot free on my DNA. I power two TV streaming media boxes, two tablets and my laptop. My average monthly GB usage is around 600gb. I have a 4 and 5 yr old who stream Netflix cartoons to their rooms all day. And never a glitch. So for $30 I shouldn't complain...however it really bothers me that Verizon made me upgrade and now an app I paid for is useless.

Sounds like the app you're using needs to be updated to be compatible with KitKat.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried method shown here :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2578410

Also, expect it to be a cat and mouse game. None of the carriers want you to tether for free. The carriers would patch it then hackers will find ways around it.

I understand your frustration, however you would have this issue with any carrier and current device you use.

Verizon at least allows unlimited tethering at $30. If you were to tether 600gb on any other carrier using an official plan, the cost would be astronomical.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Phoenix111

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried method shown here :

[MOD][ROOT]Native Tether for Kit Kat 19.5.3 - xda-developers

Also, expect it to be a cat and mouse game. None of the carriers want you to tether for free. The carriers would patch it then hackers will find ways around it.

I understand your frustration, however you would have this issue with any carrier and current device you use.

Verizon at least allows unlimited tethering at $30. If you were to tether 600gb on any other carrier using an official plan, the cost would be astronomical.

Does the official Verizon mobile hotspot still work on Kit Kat if you have unlimited data and pay the $30 a month for tethering?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just a heads up -

The Right to Tether: What the Verizon/FCC Settlement Means to You

Current customers with grandfathered unlimited data plans still have to pay. Unfortunately, if you want to tether with your unlimited plan, you have to either upgrade your plan to one of the new, Share Everything plans (which include tethering), or pony up $20/mo for Verizon's "Mobile Broadband Connect" service. You can still tether off the books and hope you don't get caught, but if they catch you, Verizon will either sign you up for Mobile Broadband Connect, put you on a Share Everything plan, or terminate your contract. Sorry.

More: Verizon Wireless To Pay $1.25 Million To Settle Investigation | FCC.gov

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does the official Verizon mobile hotspot still work on Kit Kat if you have unlimited data and pay the $30 a month for tethering?

AFAIK, it should work. If it doesn't then you have a legitimate beef with Verizon. I am not on kk, maybe someone who is can comment. You can add it and remove it on the fly so you would only be charged one days service if you wanted to test it out.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised Verizon hasn't throttled yet. Lol

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)

Verizon doesn't throttle 4GLTE period. I have used more data than that and was never throttled.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So wired tether like PDANet is illegel ?

Tethering whether wifi or wired or Bluetooth is not illegal. It may violate the terms of service though. But you would never be charged with a crime just for tethering.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
how would I avoid getting caught?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no 100% way. With that said, Verizon seems to be the most lenient with regards to tethering without subscription. They haven't really hassled anyone that I have heard of for tethering.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Verizon doesn't throttle 4GLTE period. I have used more data than that and was never throttled.

I know. I'm just saying with 600 GB constantly, not one month, but constantly should trigger it. That's ridiculous. Especially without a hotspot. They know what is happening there.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know. I'm just saying with 600 GB constantly, not one month, but constantly should trigger it. That's ridiculous. Especially without a hotspot. They know what is happening there.

It is possible to use 600gb without hotspot. I have done it before. Although most people using this much data are using hotspot.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

It's hard for me to blame Verizon for attempting for making it more difficult for the average user to tether on an Unlimited plan without paying.

They can't or won't throttle those on 4G Unlimited Data Plans and also can't or won't prevent customers from putting their 4g Unlimited Sim in any device that supports Verizon 4G. I can understand why they would also want to prevent extremely high data usage when new customers pay by the gigabyte.

With that said, I will be the last one to criticize someone over tethering without a plan.

1. I've tethered without a plan through PDANet
2. Rooted my device, removed apps that Verizon spent a lot of time and man hours designing and pre-installing on my phone

3. Used my Unlimited Data Plan in my 4G Certified Motorola Xoom and my Nexus 7 LTE

All of them could violate my TOS, some may be OK, but I am sure Verizon would prefer that I didn't do any of them.

Whenever I chose #3, I could and still can tether just fine, while running stock firmware on KitKat. Is that worse than doing #1 or #2?

Also, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I know how to root, unlock, and restore to stock every phone I've ever owned. Rooting voids the warranty. However, when I root, I always do it to have more control over the software. I never over or underclock the processor, modify the audio levels put through the speakers or anything that could cause damage to the hardware, yet I am rooted.

If the digitizer fails after 3 months, is it OK to unroot the device and take it in for warranty repair. Obviously, some manufacturers have tamper guards in place, but people find ways to bypass them too.

In my opinion, Dpham00s link to XDA is the best advice and most effective, but also carries some risk. By design, carriers need to have the ability to provide updates to their hardware. Rooting and modifying the software can prevent this.

I know that some can't root their devices if it's a work device. You may be able to temporarily root, freeze the files that allow the phone to search for and accept updates, and then unroot.

If you truly want to ensure that the phone doesn't update automatically and modify your ability to tether, rooting is often your best option.
if you're not comfortable about that, feel free to ask for help. There are many here with far more knowledge than me that would be glad to help.

I can't really blame Verizon for pushing updates to devices used on their network, or protecting their best interests and working to increase revenue for their shareholders. I won't totally defend them, but I can't blame them for your situation.

It is, as was stated earlier, a cat and mouse game. I'm probably not perfect and neither is Big Red. One is a rat and the other is an a$$hole :)
I beg everyone to decide who is more evil, who is the rat, and who is the a$$hole.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It's hard for me to blame Verizon for attempting for making it more difficult for the average user to tether on an Unlimited plan without paying.

They can't or won't throttle those on 4G Unlimited Data Plans and also can't or won't prevent customers from putting their 4g Unlimited Sim in any device that supports Verizon 4G. I can understand why they would also want to prevent extremely high data usage when new customers pay by the gigabyte.

With that said, I will be the last one to criticize someone over tethering without a plan.

1. I've tethered without a plan through PDANet
2. Rooted my device, removed apps that Verizon spent a lot of time and man hours designing and pre-installing on my phone

3. Used my Unlimited Data Plan in my 4G Certified Motorola Xoom and my Nexus 7 LTE

All of them could violate my TOS, some may be OK, but I am sure Verizon would prefer that I didn't do any of them.

Whenever I chose #3, I could and still can tether just fine, while running stock firmware on KitKat. Is that worse than doing #1 or #2?

Also, I'm not a rocket scientist, but I know how to root, unlock, and restore to stock every phone I've ever owned. Rooting voids the warranty. However, when I root, I always do it to have more control over the software. I never over or underclock the processor, modify the audio levels put through the speakers or anything that could cause damage to the hardware, yet I am rooted.

If the digitizer fails after 3 months, is it OK to unroot the device and take it in for warranty repair. Obviously, some manufacturers have tamper guards in place, but people find ways to bypass them too.

In my opinion, Dpham00s link to XDA is the best advice and most effective, but also carries some risk. By design, carriers need to have the ability to provide updates to their hardware. Rooting and modifying the software can prevent this.

I know that some can't root their devices if it's a work device. You may be able to temporarily root, freeze the files that allow the phone to search for and accept updates, and then unroot.

If you truly want to ensure that the phone doesn't update automatically and modify your ability to tether, rooting is often your best option.
if you're not comfortable about that, feel free to ask for help. There are many here with far more knowledge than me that would be glad to help.

I can't really blame Verizon for pushing updates to devices used on their network, or protecting their best interests and working to increase revenue for their shareholders. I won't totally defend them, but I can't blame them for your situation.

It is, as was stated earlier, a cat and mouse game. I'm probably not perfect and neither is Big Red. One is a rat and the other is an a$$hole :)
I beg everyone to decide who is more evil, who is the rat, and who is the a$$hole.

Absolutely there are risks to using hacks. The option is yours, pay and be more secure and ease of updates or don't pay and run the risk.

With that said, Verizon officially allows #3,using the sim in any compatible device. Not so much #1 or #2

I should also add that Verizon is the only carrier that I know of that allows moving an unlimited smartphone sim to a tablet or hotspot

"After several communications with Verizon?s press team, they did give us a truly straight-up answer? and here it is:

The SIM holds the detail of your data plan. If you move it to another device, you will be charged for the service you use. If you have an unlimited SIM and it fits another device, you can use it and you will pay for the service plan associated with the SIM.

Even we were surprised by the clarity of Verizon?s confirmation. This means Verizon is well aware that they cannot touch your grandfathered smartphone data plan, just because you chose to move it to a LTE MiFi or LTE iPad (which also acts as a portable hotspot)."

http://www.phonenews.com/verizon-af...ard-usage-in-hotspots-tablets-lte-ipad-20053/

Last edited:

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
"Even we were surprised by the clarity of Verizon’s confirmation. This means Verizon is well aware that they cannot touch your grandfathered smartphone data plan, just because you chose to move it to a LTE MiFi or LTE iPad (which also acts as a portable hotspot)."

And it's also the reason why they would like everyone off of unlimited data and why I plan to keep mine.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza