Verizon: Google Wallet Question

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm considering switching from Sprint to Verizon. While I have the use of Google Wallet on Sprint, I haven't actually used it. While speaking with a Verizon salesperson to get pricing information on a phone (apparently I have to get a new phone for Verizon service; I can't bring over the S3 from Sprint), I noticed a couple of Isis ads. I specifically asked the salesperson about using Google Wallet. They first explained Isis (which apparently seems to only support American Express and Wells Fargo cards), and then said that I could still use Google Wallet.

For some reason, it later occurred to me that I thought I had read somewhere that Verizon was blocking Google Wallet. I did a search on this and found a discussion thread in the Verizon forums where it does in fact mention how Verizon is blocking Google Wallet. The posts are mainly from early to mid 2013, but there are a couple of posts from earlier this month. It seems like it's still the case that Google Wallet can't be used. In the phone list on the Google Wallet page, the Verizon S4 isn't listed.

I haven't used Google Wallet because I just swipe my card, but maybe I might try it out. I'd like to try to get some definite confirmation as to whether it's still being blocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK Google Wallet works on anything with Kit Kat because of changes with what level of security integration it works with. I know for sure that it works on my Verizon Moto X.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Because of KitKat's host card emulation, a special SIM is no longer required for NFC payments. Since getting KitKat 4.4, I have started using my Moto X to pay at places like McDonald's and Walgreens.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It is not longer blocked on devices running KitKat on Verizon. They had it blocked before because it did not meet security perimeters they wanted before. KitKat fixed that. My work phones is a Moto X and it works on their, and their Nexus tablet as well as the other KitKat devices all have the same function.