Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By vegasdroid
  • 1 Post By vegasdroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon: Phone purchase question

I'm potentially going to become a Verizon customer soon. I just recently learned that I can't use my Sprint Galaxy S3 on Verizon because Verizon uses SIM cards for 4G LTE. This means that I would have to purchase a new phone. I would probably get the S4 to stay with the Galaxy line (unless there is another phone I should consider since I have to get a new phone). I'm aware that the S5 will be coming out soon, in a way, it's sort of a 'bad time' to be looking at changing carriers. Just thinking that it would be nice to have the latest phone (keeping updates in mind) when I switch over to Verizon.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-26-2014 at 10:06 AM.

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Phone purchase question

Are you asking what the best devices are or whether it's recommended to wait or something else? Are you happy with the Galaxy line-up?

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

I'd wait to see what the S5 has to offer since it should be coming within the next few months. If you're up for a bigger device than the Note 3 is an excellent choice. I'd hate to lock into a contract just for the new phone to come out a month later so waiting may be your best bet.

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon)
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    13,793 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

If you can still get a Moto X that would be another suggestion as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Darth Spock likes this.

Motorola Droid MAXX. This phone is incredible! The battery life, is the best on the market right now, I believe.

It is, as stock android as you can get, without getting a nexus.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!
    Darth Spock likes this.

It depends on your needs, the upcoming one successor would be another option. That or the upcoming s5. These would be the latest devices

The Droid maxx or moto x are also popular choices

If you Want a large phone, the note 3 is the best choice.

Make sure to get a phone that has what you need. I need a microSD slot and removable battery and large screen so my selection is limited

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Android4life

Samsung is announcing the S5 tomorrow, and if it follows the same release as the Note 3, will be available 3 weeks later, or at least available for pre-order. I would wait.

Note 3 is great if you can deal with a bigger phone. After about I week I don't really think about the size anymore.

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I'll have to look into the Droid Maxx.

Given that the S5 was officially announced and looking at initial reviews, it seems like the S5 is similar to the S4. With that being the case, I could just do a2 year agreement with Verizon and pay less per month. One key issue that seems to be getting attention is the 16Gb storage which actually is less than 8Gb available for the user. I think the Note 3 might be too big.

Edit: I checked out the Droid Maxx on the Verizon website. The first thing I noticed was that the phone was rated as a1 to a 1.5 star. I then looked at the full details of the phone, and it was rated higher.

Some of the low marks seem to be in ease of use and operating system.

Last edited by cb2367; 02-24-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Personally, I've held a friend's Note 3, and, honestly, I don't think it's too big. And this is coming from an iPhone user.

I don't have super large hands either.

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post

Given that the S5 was officially announced and looking at initial reviews, it seems like the S5 is similar to the S4. With that being the case, I could just do a2 year agreement with Verizon and pay less per month. One key issue that seems to be getting attention is the 16Gb storage which actually is less than 8Gb available for the user. I think the Note 3 might be too big.

Edit: I checked out the Droid Maxx on the Verizon website. The first thing I noticed was that the phone was rated as a1 to a 1.5 star. I then looked at the full details of the phone, and it was rated higher.

A maxx is very close to the x, making our I've of the best devices available.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    A maxx is very close to the x, making our I've of the best devices available.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    3 major differences between the Maxx and the X, screen size, battery life and internal memory (since neither support external memory expansion).

Big Red Note 3
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by cb2367 View Post

The S5 is a major upgrade over the S4.

Big Red Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    The S5 is a major upgrade over the S4.

Big Red Note 3
    In hardware sure.. Anything else? Eh that's definitely an opinion.

I did read they do only give like 8 or less GB after it's all said and done which sucks .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

I still say that the MAXX, is still the better option right now. Best battery in town, 32GB of storage, near stock Android, with all the nice touch less controls, moto assist, and many more.

Darth Spock likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I'm leaning towards the Droid Maxx. It looks like it's a relatively new phone. The battery life is definitely a plus. The one thing I have a question about though is how good Motorola is at issuing updates.

The S3 started with 4.1, updated to 4.3 after skipping 4.2, and according to information I have seen, the S3 is likely to get 4.4. I'd like to make sure that the phone will get supported with official updates.

So far, so good. It came with JB, and I think within 6 Months or so it received 2 ota's. Current version is 4.4 KK.

I've read that the MAXX, should be getting a soak test of 4.4.2, which is the latest version of Android you can get.

From past experience, I think Samsung, has been worse at updates.

I hope that this helps, I highly recommend the MAXX, you won't be disappointed.

Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    In hardware sure.. Anything else? Eh that's definitely an opinion.

I did read they do only give like 8 or less GB after it's all said and done which sucks .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Some notable software upgrades as well such as TouchWiz etc. It is a big upgrade over the S4. You can't really base it a whole lot on software imo because you are still limited to the Android system. To me I look at the hardware first. And yes, the S4 does come with only like 8GB free internal space.

Big Red Note 3
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by vegasdroid View Post
    So far, so good. It came with JB, and I think within 6 Months or so it received 2 ota's. Current version is 4.4 KK.

I've read that the MAXX, should be getting a soak test of 4.4.2, which is the latest version of Android you can get.

From past experience, I think Samsung, has been worse at updates.

I hope that this helps, I highly recommend the MAXX, you won't be disappointed.

I think what worries me about Motorola is the stability, considering it has changed ownership twice in less than a year.

Big Red Note 3

Keep in mind, that the Lenovo deal still hasn't been approved yet.

I wouldn't be, to worried about Lenovo. I would like to think, that they would do right by Motorola.

I wouldn't be, to worried about Lenovo. I would like to think, that they would do right by Motorola.

Agreed. Granted they did change quite a bit with IBM's ThinkPad line, a lot of the stuff they are doing is great and they seem to support their laptops with updated drivers and such as needed. Of course, this is quite a different platform, but Lenovo is trustworthy.

I actually think it's difficult to NOT buy a good device these days. All flagships are great from all platforms (Lumia Icon, iPhone 5S, Galaxy S 5, HTC One, LG G2). None will be totally outclassed by their 2014 counterparts (if they are from 2013) to the point where you may feel behind.
    Thanked by:
    Android4life

I may worried about Lenovo per say, they make nice devices, more of just the changing of hands so much. Different companies all have their own agendas though. The deal will go through though. Goggle bought Motorola for the patents basically, because they are currently building their own device (project tango I believe) so they will rely on Samsung and others to carry the Android OS until they release their own, that is in they ever do.

Big Red Note 3
    Android4life

Default Re: Verizon: Phone purchase question

You are right, the new high end devices all seem to have more positives than negatives.

Big Red Note 3
    Thanked by: