Are early upgrades still possible on Verizon?

Signtist

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting for my contract to end so I can get a Note 3. I have less than a month to go and Verizon won't cut me a break on the time. They want me to buy it using the Edge plan. No way I am going to pay 700 bucks for it. A local store has core phones (returned) for 100 bucks but the soonest I can get one is 7 days before my contract date. Has anyone experienced any break on the contract time? I get different answers every time I talk to Verizon. I spoke to a rep from the web page who told me the store managers have the option of renewing early. The store manager tells me it is not true and the web people can do it. Anyone have any luck upgrading early without using the Edge plan?

Posted via Android Central App

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting for my contract to end so I can get a Note 3. I have less than a month to go and Verizon won't cut me a break on the time. They want me to buy it using the Edge plan. No way I am going to pay 700 bucks for it. A local store has core phones (returned) for 100 bucks but the soonest I can get one is 7 days before my contract date. Has anyone experienced any break on the contract time? I get different answers every time I talk to Verizon. I spoke to a rep from the web page who told me the store managers have the option of renewing early. The store manager tells me it is not true and the web people can do it. Anyone have any luck upgrading early without using the Edge plan?
You need to call and ask for the retention department - Mon-Fri business hours. They have the authority to do it.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Who have you tired to talk to? Calling retention isn't the only department that can help. Retention is there to try and keep someone from canceling Verizon. Corporate retail stores have little to no authority to overwrite an upgrade date, because it is now tied to a contract date which they have no authority to change. Calling customer service is your best bet. From personally experience the people you get on the Web and sometimes on the phone tell you that the retail stores can do things they can't do all the time. The retail store is pretty much bottom of the totem poll when it comes to that stuff and national customer service (phone and web) seem to have no grasp on that, they seem to think the stores have all the same authority as they do. That kind of disconnect can be frustrating. Call customer service. That is your best Avenue.

Big Red Note 3

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Retention is there to try and keep someone from canceling Verizon.
So tell them if they won't move your upgrade date a measly 3 weeks, you will not renew with Verizon and switch to ATT or TMobile given how competitive their pricing is.

Retention has always been the best option for me in terms of getting what I want.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

I understand not wanting to pay full retail for a phone but I dont think you understand the VZ Edge program correctly....it has pros and cons...I got my note 3 with the edge program, I pay 30 bucks a month extra on my bill, but after paying half of the full retail with is 350.00, I can upgrade to the Note4 when it comes out in sept/oct so u pay roughly the same amount for the phone, but after only 1 year I can upgrade to a new phone instead of waiting 2 years... also you must keep the phone in almost perfect condition because you have to return the phone when u upgrade to your new device..so if samsung stays on schedule I get can the newest Note every year...

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I did. I've actually early upgraded a couple of times. Last month they let me because it was customer appreciation month (feb) that would have been a great time to ask. You could always try calling & pointing out if you've been a good customer for x amount of years, always made on time payments etc. Point out that you asked in Feb during customer appreciation month and are disappointed that you were turned down. They let my daughter and myself early upgrade last month. Hope it works for you!

sent from my Note 3

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Also, there is the "more everything plan" and they do give you a $10 credit per month on any edge phone. They also throw on an extra GB of data to your plan.

sent from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also, there is the "more everything plan" and they do give you a $10 credit per month on any edge phone. They also throw on an extra GB of data to your plan.

sent from my Note 3

The credit is $20 if you are on a 10gb tier or higher

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Signtist

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Retention is a great idea. It worked for me with DirecTV. I will try them Monday. Thanks.

Signtist

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I understand not wanting to pay full retail for a phone but I dont think you understand the VZ Edge program correctly....it has pros and cons...I got my note 3 with the edge program, I pay 30 bucks a month extra on my bill, but after paying half of the full retail with is 350.00, I can upgrade to the Note4 when it comes out in sept/oct so u pay roughly the same amount for the phone, but after only 1 year I can upgrade to a new phone instead of waiting 2 years... also you must keep the phone in almost perfect condition because you have to return the phone when u upgrade to your new device..so if samsung stays on schedule I get can the newest Note every year...

I plan on using my wife's line to upgrade next year. If I stagger the upgrades to be a year apart I can get a new phone every year without paying extra every month. She only uses her phone for calls, text, and email. She would rather keep her old android so she doesn't have to learn a new phone.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So tell them if they won't move your upgrade date a measly 3 weeks, you will not renew with Verizon and switch to ATT or TMobile given how competitive their pricing is.

Retention has always been the best option for me in terms of getting what I want.

Hey you gotta due what you gotta due, but personally making false claims or threatening to leave after knowingly signing a contract to get your way is kind of lame. You signed the contract, you know the terms.

That being said, if you do a note 3 on a 10gb more everything plan in actually your are only paying $9 for the a month, which even over two years is far less than a two year contract with the $20 credit. It also allows you to upgrade every year (technically every 30 days if you want to pay up to the 50% that allows you to upgrade) with no service contract attached. The cloud service with 25gb of storage that backs up contacts, Txt, photos, documents, and even music is also free on the share everything plan.

Big Red Note 3

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey you gotta due what you gotta due, but personally making false claims or threatening to leave after knowingly signing a contract to get your way is kind of lame. You signed the contract, you know the terms.
Huh? His contract is ending in less than a month. He CAN leave when it is up.

And as for contracts, first off, when he signed his contract his upgrade date was 20 months from the date of signing, not 24 months. Who changed that provision? Verizon. Guess why they did - BECAUSE SUBSIDIZED PHONE UPGRADE DATES ARE NOT PART OF THE CONTRACT ACCORDING TO VERIZON. Go back and research this and stop being a Verizon apologist. Do you work for them? You sound like you do.

Also go read the Verizon TOS, they say Verizon can change the contract at will. Funny, they don't put anything in there allowing a subscriber to change the contract at will. How fair is that. Stop acting like there is anything fair in the contracts between Verizon and its subscribers; they are not fair TO THE SUBSCRIBER.

That being said, if you do a note 3 on a 10gb more everything plan in actually your are only paying $9 for the a month, which even over two years is far less than a two year contract with the $20 credit. It also allows you to upgrade every year (technically every 30 days if you want to pay up to the 50% that allows you to upgrade) with no service contract attached. The cloud service with 25gb of storage that backs up contacts, Txt, photos, documents, and even music is also free on the share everything plan.
Do you work for version?

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Retention is a great idea. It worked for me with DirecTV. I will try them Monday. Thanks.
You are welcome! Just be nice and tell them how disappointed you are that you can't get it changed since it is such a short period of time. I bet they give it to you. AT&T and TMobile are becoming very competitive and Verizon knows it.

pdub73

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I plan on using my wife's line to upgrade next year. If I stagger the upgrades to be a year apart I can get a new phone every year without paying extra every month. She only uses her phone for calls, text, and email. She would rather keep her old android so she doesn't have to learn a new phone.

That works too, my point really was the biggest difference is paying 350.00 over 12 months and getting to upgrade every year or paying 350.00 with a 2 yr agreement...having multiple lines helps...Good luck

Last edited:

Signtist

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

Big Red Note 3

So you're suggesting that I pay extra for a data plan that I don't want or need so I can save money on a plan to pay retail on a phone that I can purchase for a hundred dollars cash? THAT would be lame. Thanks for the poor advice and the insult.

Signtist

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
That works too, my point really was the biggest difference is paying 350.00 over 12 months and getting to upgrade every year or paying 350.00 with a 2 yr agreement...having multiple lines helps...hood luck

I see the advantage, especially because I am always ready to upgrade way before the contract ends. If I didn't have the second line option I would consider the Edge plan a little closer. Thanks for your help.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Huh? His contract is ending in less than a month. He CAN leave when it is up.

And as for contracts, first off, when he signed his contract his upgrade date was 20 months from the date of signing, not 24 months. Who changed that provision? Verizon. Guess why they did - BECAUSE SUBSIDIZED PHONE UPGRADE DATES ARE NOT PART OF THE CONTRACT ACCORDING TO VERIZON. Go back and research this and stop being a Verizon apologist. Do you work for them? You sound like you do.

Also go read the Verizon TOS, they say Verizon can change the contract at will. Funny, they don't put anything in there allowing a subscriber to change the contract at will. How fair is that. Stop acting like there is anything fair in the contracts between Verizon and its subscribers; they are not fair TO THE SUBSCRIBER.

Do you work for version?

No, I know exactly how contracts and cellular industry models work. It's called the research and knowing people.

You also just stated you knew the terms and how they could change it at any time. This is true for all carriers. AT&T changed theirs to 24 months as well.

Totally true he could leave when his contract is up. But it's not, he is looking for a way to upgrade now. There are options. You don't have to call retention (which btw is just a higher level of customer service).

Lastly everything I just said about the more everything plan is on Verizon's website.

Big Red Note 3

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
That works too, my point really was the biggest difference is paying 350.00 over 12 months and getting to upgrade every year or paying 350.00 with a 2 yr agreement
Edge only makes financial sense if you are on the 10GB More Everything plan. If you are too busy to sell your old phone, then it makes sense from a convenience stand point.

But if you are willing to sell your old phone or aren't on the 10GB More Everything plan, Edge makes no sense at all.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I know exactly how contracts
If you know so much about the verizon customer agreement, you would know that upgrade dates are NOT in that agreement. That is how Verizon got away with moving upgrade dates mid-contract from 20 months to 24 months. So you are just spouting nonsense when you go off like you are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance