Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Like Tree13Likes
    Android4life

Default Re: Are early upgrades still possible on Verizon?

I was accused of working for Verizon by a certain someone in this thread, yet that same individual seems to know the exact amount that goes to make up for the subsidized phone pricing every month...

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

ROM
    BAMF_Paradigm_2.3.1_Toro

You end up paying $350 every year, so at the end of what would have been a two year contract, you've paid $700. My original Note 3 in October costs $300. Is paying double warrant a 1 year jump on technology?
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by midimench View Post
    You end up paying $350 every year, so at the end of what would have been a two year contract, you've paid $700. My original Note 3 in October costs $300. Is paying double warrant a 1 year jump on technology?
    There are service credits on the new "More Everything Plan" that can now make it worth it for some people. It still doesn't benefit everyone, but the $10 and $25 credits help a ton in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    There are service credits on the new "More Everything Plan" that can now make it worth it for some people. It still doesn't benefit everyone, but the $10 and $25 credits help a ton in some situations.
    The $25 credit is a lot, it ends up being $600 over 2 years. Figuring that the s5/m8 is retail $600, the cost ends up washing out. If you bought on contract, you would be paying $100/200 for the phone, plus upgrade fee, so you end up paying $135/$235 more for the phone vs. Edge. Of course, it would depend on the deal.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    fofjjsr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Consumers Love Them, Carriers Hate Them; Why Smartphone Subsidies are Here to Stay

Here is a good article on how phone companies make up for the immediate loss they take on subsidized phones.

Big Red Note 3
    I just came across this thread and read this article on subsidized phone cost. I am just over a month out from my contract date with my GS3 and I'm looking to get the GS5. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my GS3. It is in great condition and works great. I just wanted to newer phone. If I choose to not upgrade and just keep my GS3 can I go to Verizion and ask them to lower my monthly bill since I satisfied the 2 years of the additional $20 a month that I pay to compensate for the subsidized phone? It wouldn't make sense for me not to upgrade if I don't get the reduced monthly bill since. I bet there are a lot of people out there that do no upgrade every two years and keep their phones longer that are still paying the extra in their monthly rates to compensate for the reduced cost of the phone that they have had for years now and Verizon is reaping the benefits of that population. I have not always been a person that would go to a new phone ever two years, so I know they have made out on my through the years since they have never decreased my monthly plan after the two year contract was over and I didn't move into a new phone right away.
    ~Tina~
    Samsung Galaxy S5

On the over priced but blazing fast Verizon network

Quote Originally Posted by crump13 View Post
    I just came across this thread and read this article on subsidized phone cost. I am just over a month out from my contract date with my GS3 and I'm looking to get the GS5. There is absolutely nothing wrong with my GS3. It is in great condition and works great. I just wanted to newer phone. If I choose to not upgrade and just keep my GS3 can I go to Verizion and ask them to lower my monthly bill since I satisfied the 2 years of the additional $20 a month that I pay to compensate for the subsidized phone? It wouldn't make sense for me not to upgrade if I don't get the reduced monthly bill since. I bet there are a lot of people out there that do no upgrade every two years and keep their phones longer that are still paying the extra in their monthly rates to compensate for the reduced cost of the phone that they have had for years now and Verizon is reaping the benefits of that population. I have not always been a person that would go to a new phone ever two years, so I know they have made out on my through the years since they have never decreased my monthly plan after the two year contract was over and I didn't move into a new phone right away.
    Yes you can if you are on the more everything plan. If you are on a 10gb plan or higher then your bill would drop by $25. Less than 10gb plan then it would drop by $10.

There is no discount for going month to month on the older plans

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Yes you can if you are on the more everything plan. If you are on a 10gb plan or higher then your bill would drop by $25. Less than 10gb plan then it would drop by $10.

There is no discount for going month to month on the older plans

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Cool. I am on the more everything plan so I will keep that in mind if I decide not to upgrade to the GS5 in July.

~Tina~

Sent from my GSIII using Tapatalk 2
    ~Tina~
    Samsung Galaxy S5

On the over priced but blazing fast Verizon network

*do
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567