Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By rusty502
  • 3 Post By jec11718
  • 1 Post By cbreze
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By Spencerdl
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By jgraves12
  • 1 Post By trivor
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon claims to have more 4GLTE coverage than Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile combined.

As I was driving, I saw a billboard with Verizon claiming to have more 4GLTE coverage than Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile combined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon claims to have more 4GLTE coverage than Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile combined.-verizon_4glte.jpg  

Default Re: Verizon claims to have more 4GLTE coverage than Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile combined.

That's a bold statement!

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Default Re: Verizon claims to have more 4GLTE coverage than Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile combined.

It probably depends on how you count it. It seems Verizon perhaps has more LTE than everyone else if you count by area covered, because their LTE covers massive amounts of mostly empty space. But by people covered, not a chance.
    Thanked by:

I don't think there is much difference between the big three if you just look at population, but geographically, I could possibly believe it.
    Ry likes this.

The focal word is "coverage". Yes all those towers in rural or semi rural areas. I can sit in the woods(hunting) in fl, ga, or bama and have 4glte....like 10+mbps and love every minute of it. Att, sprint tmo? Forgetttaboutit! (jerseyaccent) ;-)

sent from my Nos M7 DNA
    Thanked by:
    Synycalwon, johnriii and Spencerdl like this.

Going by the coverage maps Verizon is the clear winner even if you combine the others. Who cares how many people are covered. What matters is when your in BFE and you need to use your phone. Coverage is area, not people.
    Jimbo
    Thanked by 2:
    Synycalwon likes this.

Except Vzw ' s LTE isn't up to par with others. They should really compare the coverage of "similar speed".

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

with the prices we pay, I would HOPE that it's a true statement. don't get me wrong, I love the fact that I can go just about anywhere in this country and still have a decent signal. sure, having a FAST network is nice, but what good is fast when you REALLY need to make that emergency phone call? I'll continue to pay for the excellent service I get...BTW, what's a dropped call?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Except Vzw ' s LTE isn't up to par with others. They should really compare the coverage of "similar speed".

@T-Mobile GN3

Based on root metrics, Verizon's speed is just a hair slower than att, and faster than T-Mobile and Sprint. Even though att is a hair faster, Verizon's performance is better.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Thanked by 2:
    Spencerdl likes this.

@T-Mobile GN3
    That has NOT been my experience. Verizon is the overall BEST...IMHO
    Beyond Fire likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    That has NOT been my experience. Verizon is the overall BEST...IMHO
    Verizon never claims to be the fastest network, only the most reliable and with the largest coverage. And to me, that is more important than having faster speeds in some areas, but no or weak signal in other areas. But that is for my personal needs.

Even though Verizon is the best fit for me, there are specific locations where another carrier might be better suited for someone's needs because another carrier may have better service in a specific location or area.

johnriii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Verizon never claims to be the fastest network, only the most reliable and with the largest coverage. And to me, that is more important than having faster speeds in some areas, but no or weak signal in other areas. But that is for my personal needs.

Even though Verizon is the best fit for me, there are specific locations where another carrier might be better suited for someone's needs because another carrier may have better service in a specific location or area.

This may true, and Verizon is also BEST for my needs and wants (maybe I should have written that), but from my vast experience with the other big 3 in the USA (Verizon being the last to get my "money"..smile), I would definitly say that of ALL the cities and areas I've visited, Verizon has never let me down as far as coverage is concerened...or anything else. I've been around family and friends that had to use my phone because they had no or very little coverage with their carriers other than Verizon. The Big Red just works for ME
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    This may true, and Verizon is also BEST for my needs and wants (maybe I should have written that), but from my vast experience with the other big 3 in the USA (Verizon being the last to get my "money"..smile), I would definitly say that of ALL the cities and areas I've visited, Verizon has never let me down as far as coverage is concerened...or anything else. I've been around family and friends that had to use my phone because they had no or very little coverage with their carriers other than Verizon. The Big Red just works for ME
    Yeah I think that it is pretty rare for verizon to have bad service in a spot but another carrier to have excellent service in the same spot. I do point it out because it can happen, and I don't want someone to port the number over to Verizon only to find that it doesn't get service at their home or office or wherever they need it when some other carrier does.

Spencerdl likes this.

Yeah I think that it is pretty rare for verizon to have bad service in a spot but another carrier to have excellent service in the same spot. I do point it out because it can happen, and I don't want someone to port the number over to Verizon only to find that it doesn't get service at their home or office or wherever they need it when some other carrier does.

I agree, that does make sense. You would get ALL the blame...LOL

Based on root metrics, Verizon's speed is just a hair slower than att, and faster than T-Mobile and Sprint.

A jumbo "rating" is useless for many, and misleading for others. It give some parameter e.g., reliably, which is really notimportant for many, way to much weight.

People should just check the raw speed data from each city and see the difference.

@T-Mobile GN3
    3200->Centro-->Pre-->Pre2-->HOX/N4-->GN3/ZTE OPEN C
    Palm T|X-->Transformer-->Galaxy Tab 7.7-->iconia w510/GTS 8.4

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

Are you really going to be able to tell the difference from say, 20-30 Mbs on Verizon and 40 on T-Mobile when doing anything other than downloading huge apps or files?

I don't think I could. But I can easily tell when I have signal and when I don't. :P

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
    Synycalwon likes this.

Might i ask what people are doing on their phones that such a small speed difference makes that big of an issue? Seeing the top speeds of 20-40 only get noticed when DOWNLOADING Large files... which, for me, only happens when i am using my WIFI hotspot for my tablet or laptop... Otherwise... Simple Daily functions like Web Browsing, Facebook, Streaming music... Will act the same on pretty much any carrier, Except sprint... they are the Buffer Kings..

To me, US Cellular had the FASTEST 4G LTE i have ever used... However, their focus on Regions, really turned me off! With USC. They claim to have more LTE coverage in Wisconsin then ATT.. but when you leave the middle/southeastern part of the state, you get 3G only or Roaming...
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

A jumbo "rating" is useless for many, and misleading for others. It give some parameter e.g., reliably, which is really notimportant for many, way to much weight.

People should just check the raw speed data from each city and see the difference.

@T-Mobile GN3
    Whatever carrier you choose, you should consider the signal whenever you need it. Be it at home, work, school, or otherwise. The raw speed of an entire city might not help with that.

But knowing the overall reliability makes a difference to me because the main reason why I have a phone is for emergency purposes. And having the best reliability means the most likely to have a signal in emergency situations where you might be in a very rural area with almost no accommodations.

Even in the city, I get a signal in concrete underground parking structure where att and tmobile do not. In case of emergency if you are trapped, being able to make a call can make a difference.

Obviously everyone has different requirements for cellular service, pick which one you feel best suits your needs

Global Posts
    479 Global Posts

For the majority of people (and even for most people on this thread) Verizon has most comprehensive coverage (both for calls and data) than any other carrier in the US. If you travel at all OR if your home area (small towns or rural) then Verizon is usually the best. While their LTE speed is slowing down (because of more people) they will still average within advertised speed range (5-12 Mbps down) in all the areas they have coverage. Quite frankly, as long as the speed is enough to cover streaming music or video their is very little difference (for MOST people) between a phone that downloads at 5 vs. one that downloads at 10. And their call coverage (yes, I am someone who still makes and values phone calls) is still the best of any carrier (I rarely drop a call and almost always have a signal better than any of my colleagues when I travel). Verizon has been the least aggressive in the recent price war going on between ATT and T-Mobile because they aren't seen much loss of customers - that won't change until they see people switching to TMo or ATT on a large scale (say 500,000 in a quarter - last quarter I believe Big Red gained 1.6 million new customers).
    johnriii likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sierrajinx9 View Post
    Might i ask what people are doing on their phones that such a small speed difference makes that big of an issue? Seeing the top speeds of 20-40 only get noticed when DOWNLOADING Large files... which, for me, only happens when i am using my WIFI hotspot for my tablet or laptop... Otherwise... Simple Daily functions like Web Browsing, Facebook, Streaming music... Will act the same on pretty much any carrier, Except sprint... they are the Buffer Kings..

To me, US Cellular had the FASTEST 4G LTE i have ever used... However, their focus on Regions, really turned me off! With USC. They claim to have more LTE coverage in Wisconsin then ATT.. but when you leave the middle/southeastern part of the state, you get 3G only or Roaming...
    Yeah, Sprint 3G is pretty bad for sure, but since my area was upgraded to LTE I'm very happy, 25-30 consistently right now, I'm not in the city, so I doubt the system is loaded very heavy where I live, loving it for now anyway

Verizon is king of coverage.. Everyone should pretty much know that.

For some that's important.. Some maybe not as much. I rarely travel and Florida has no underground so.. T-mobile covers me.

But honestly if I traveled often and was worried about coverage.. Without even thinking I'd go to Verizon.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Verizon is also the first Carrier to be 100% LTE... They plan on Sunsetting CDMA 3G by 2021.. Being an VoLTE Only company within the next 3 years... Same with SPRINT... CDMA and VoLTE are not compatible... Which is why the 2 companies need to build Extremely massive 4G LTE Footprints...

For ATT/TMOBILE they do not need to worry about this because a voice call on VOLTE can transfer to HSPA/GSM...