Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
Like Tree20Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    When I visited a Verizon Wireless corporate store in LA last Thursday to pick up the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 LTE tablet on its first day of release (in fact I was the first in LA to own one) I experienced something else for the first time as well, ageism by VZW staff. Keep in mind that I am from NYC and am visiting LA.

    I am clearly not a 30-something anymore, but does this mean that the Verizon store staff can be rude to me? How can they assume that someone who is such an early adapter and already has a Galaxy Note 2 (I had it on the counter) can be clueless about electronic devices just because he isn't "young."

    Case in point. I was sitting at the sales counter with a sales person while she was installing the screen protector on my tablet, another employee wearing a white dress shirt (the rest are in black polos) comes up to me and says, you know we can schedule a workshop for you. Then he pauses and says, don't worry we'll only cover the real easy stuff. I just looked at this rude je**off without saying anything and wondered:
    1) How the hell this a**hole got to rise to this level at a VZW retail.
    2) How can he be so dumb and arrogant to assume someone who is clearly a professional (by the way I dress, my Note 2, and the Note Pro 12.2 on first day of release) to be ignorant about mobile devices just because I am not 25.
    3) Shouldn't he be tactful enough to first talk to me to find out my level of knowledge before insulting me like that.

    What made this even worse and caused me to write this note a week later, because the incident is still bugging me, is this: when I did decide to say something to him about the Note Pro 12.2, he looked at me with a very condescending gaze and without letting me finish my statement, he just looked away and then walked away. Trying to send me a "message" that you are too old to have an opinion about this topic. And I am in my 40s and quite fit actually. Wow!

    I am thinking to fire off a letter to VZW top retail exec, but didn't get that jerk's name...
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  2. #2  
    bpeter's Avatar

    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    The sales person that did assist you should be on-record (in the Verizon database) when you picked up the device. You know the date and time of your visit (also on record) so a factual letter to Verizon with these facts should allow then to narrow down the individual that (obviously) needs to be re-educated on the values of customer service and the consequences of stereotyping.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    I would have said, oh then you would like for me to teach an advanced class on the device? You may learn a few things.

    Sent from my SM-P905V using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    not for nothing and I don't know how old you are but I'm 54 and would have been insulted as well. We are usually the people with some discretionary income that they are willing to spend. Very stupid. So uncool
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    It's amazing that something like this stays with you. I know the sales girl's name. I have her card. And I have thought of calling her and asking the name of that guy. I can also talk with the store manager and try to describe that guy, I don't think they have too many people in white shirts. But a store manager could easily be biased and protective of its employees specially those who have been promoted for one reason or another, and it's usually "another."
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    We're all different, even sales people. For myself, I wouldn't have been insulted but I understand how one could be. I have had similar experiences before and I simply respond with a smile "No thank you, I'm fine." When pressed I'll then I'll try to give a detailed response in a cordial manner. I find that I'm more successful in improving my experiences with sales people by flooding them with kindness than trying to give them constructive feedback. It doesn't always work but at least I have a better shot at walking away without wishing I had said something to them later.

    Good example is when I bought the Note Pro the sales person at Best Buy. He tried to push warranty on me but I had declined nicely. Upon pushing again I merely said "Yeah, I'd normally consider it but I plan to root the device at some point down the line so no thank you." That ended the sales pitch.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    I recently had a bad sales experience at VZW and called to complain and the rep said I'm more than welcome to do so, but all it does is go on MY account and nothing gets done on their end or to the employee. If that's true, I'd say vent it out here and don't bother calling.

    P. S. I've been in similar situations as you because I'm a young woman. I obviously only want an iPhone with a pink case. I would have been insulted too.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyGirl121 View Post
    P. S. I've been in similar situations as you because I'm a young woman. I obviously only want an iPhone with a pink case. I would have been insulted too.
    Yea, that would be sexism in your case.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    Yea, that would be sexism in your case.
    Of which you're now guilty, since she knows that and it was condescending of you to point it out...

    Just trying to say that an offhand comment by someone doesn't necessarily mean anything insulting, or that they meant to be insulting.

    Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    Of which you're now guilty, since she knows that and it was condescending of you to point it out...

    Just trying to say that an offhand comment by someone doesn't necessarily mean anything insulting, or that they meant to be insulting.
    sorry, your note makes zero sense!
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    I work in a Verizon store, and to be honest most customers your age, even professionals already packing smart phones and tablets can barely operate them and have no clue what they're capable of. However that is no reason to assume, I've learned with a few simple questions a sales rep can easily get a clue how tech savvy the customer is.


    On the flip side of the coin believe it or not, it's the customers in their 40's or 50's that show ageism towards me. They are the ones that usually call me kid or request my manager over me because I look young they assume I'm inexperienced. The elderly (60s +) are much more pleasant and polite to work with.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Illustrator Joe likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by L0n3N1nja View Post
    IThe elderly (60s +) are much more pleasant and polite to work with.
    I bet the 80 year olds are even nicer. I heard there was a 110 year old guy who was specially nice.

    I promise I wouldn't call you sport, squid, kid, boy, hey you or jr. However, most of the management in the Tech industry are all my age. and I am active in marketing in tech personally.

    The next person who shows me ageism in VZW retail will first gets reported to the store manager, and then gets noticed to the top corporate management, as I have access to that level, due to being with VZW for 14 years!!!
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    I'm not sure its ageism. From my experience, at least 95% of Verizon reps are some combination of ignorant/clueless/rude. The guy is probably the same way to everyone because he just doesn't know any better.
    I customized my signature using Motomaker
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    So what is it if he asks the same question to everyone. The manager may have told him to sign more people up for the workshops. There are three sides to every story. Your side, his side and the truth which usually is somewhere in between.

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    you have missed my point and or didn't read my note in its entirely. again, another post with zero relevancy to the topic at hand.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVA77 View Post
    And I am in my 40s and quite fit actually. Wow!
    So it would be acceptable if you were fat?
    yfan likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    I haven't had that happen to me, yet. I'm 50, but I look 35ish, wear jeans and football jerseys and althletic shoes. however, the verizon stores I go to know me by name, so I doubt it would happen there. you should file a complaint. I did back when i first joined big red, and the guy I filed it against was fired two weeks later. i also got two phone calls from verizon asking more details so they could solidify their "investigation". granted, this was about 10 years ago, so things may have changed, but what could it hurt?
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by dentalexel View Post
    not for nothing and I don't know how old you are but I'm 54 and would have been insulted as well. We are usually the people with some discretionary income that they are willing to spend. Very stupid. So uncool
    I think you both need to get over it, it's a rude world.
    Thanked by:
    Haalcyon likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    That wouldn't really bother me. As stated above the employee may be instructed to advertise and sign people up for the workshop.

    I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    Haalcyon likes this.
  20. #20  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Stereotypes of all kinds are going on all the time all around us. There is no excuse for it, but people constantly judge others by appearance and preconceptions. Back when I joined my gym, I had a "personal trainer" lecturing about cardio workouts like because I didn't look like a ken doll, I didn't know anything about working out. I finally had to shut him up by inviting him to one of my 100-mile bike rides. Another time, I had a car dealership employee try to convince me that my brand new Ford really needed to be brought in for maintenance more often than prescribed by the manual, because "the government makes car companies change their maintenance schedule." I noticed that I was at the desk for paperwork where a lot of his colleagues were listening, slightly raised my voice so everyone could hear me, and said "And you wouldn't have any incentive to bring me back here earlier than I need to, right?" His face turned red.

    My point is that stereotypes have no place - especially in professional settings - and they need to be called out. The best way to teach a stereotyping (inappropriate word removed by Moderator) a lesson is to embarrass them in front of their colleagues. Don't be afraid to do it.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Please do not attempt to bypass the language filter

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
  22. #22  
    yfan's Avatar

    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    911 Global Posts

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Please do not attempt to bypass the language filter
    Ahh... that wasn't an attempt to avoid the filter (I just self censor words sometimes), but got it.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    So it would be acceptable if you were fat?
    not acceptable, but being a fat slub is cause for bias too.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    The best way to teach a stereotyping a**hole a lesson is to embarrass them in front of their colleagues. Don't be afraid to do it.
    I agree. Because unless they learn that what they do is wrong, they'll keep doing it.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default Re: Ageism at Verizon Wireless Corporate Stores

    Quote Originally Posted by metz65 View Post
    That wouldn't really bother me. As stated above the employee may be instructed to advertise and sign people up for the workshop.

    I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    again, another poster who has missed the point about my note. it's not what you say, it's how you say it. not sign of intelligence, but sign that you could be tech savvy.
    Samsung Galaxy Note II - VZW
    Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - VZW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. AT&T Wiped My Phone
    By bcxx143 in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM
  3. Is AT&T network now larger than Verizon after the Cricket purchase?
    By Josh177 in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-15-2014, 03:00 AM
  4. Verizon Prepaid - Who are they gonna buy?
    By sierrajinx9 in forum Verizon
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM
  5. Unlock and root AT&T moto x
    By minnis12 in forum Moto X Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2014, 07:56 PM

Posting Permissions