AT&T's new rates are killing me!

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I have been with VZW for many, many years (in fact I was with "Bell Atlantic Mobile" before they were acquired/renamed, if anyone's old enough to remember that).

I still believe they have the best network.

But these example plans for 4 smartphones & 10GB shared data at ATT for $160 are killing me (another TV commercial depicts 5 phones and 10GB for $175). I pay about $230/mo for my 4 phones & 4GB of shared data!

Has anyone tried to "make a deal" with VZ over these new rates, or is it futile? That's a big-enough difference in monthly charges that I'm honestly considering jumping after all this time. If those numbers are even close, the simple-math is that I'd save over $800/year with 2.5 times the data capacity.

Feedback and experiences welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: ATT's new rates are killing me!

When I was with AT&T I was paying about $230 (after taxes) for 3 smartphones on my Family Share plan and that was with 6GB of data I believe.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

They must have dramatically lowered their rates recently. I'm looking for the catch...like "Unlimited Talk" = "Unlimited Talk between 3AM and 3:30AM EST on days that start with a 'W' only" ;)

I just went to their website, and it looks like they are still running a $100 bill-credit per line if you switch before end-of-March too!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

With AT&T they force you to pay for your phones either full price or via AT&T "Next". This means you must pay extra per month for phones... So it is $160 + $20-30 per phone you get through them. They do not offer the $200 upgrade subsidized cost like Verizon does when using the 10 GB shared "value" plan.

So it all depends ... If you get 4 Smartphones at $25 each .. it would be .. $160 + $25(x4) = $260 a month for AT&T with new phones on the "Next" plan. Or you can keep your Verizon one and continue the $200 upgrade + 2 year contract.

All depends on your finances and needs.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

OK, but there are a few points here:
1) Bring your own device to ATT - a new Nexus 5 or Moto X costs about $350 all-in. (about 14mos at $25)
2) VZ's "Edge" is a similar, lease-per-month phone plan.
3) Non-Subsidized is also because there are no contracts. If you pay the $100-$200 subsidized price at VZ, you're bound to a 2yr contract. Edge/Next means you're semi-bound: you have to pay the phone's cost if you leave before the 12/18mos of lease payments. But again, you can bring your own phone and have no minimum contract at all.
4) Four smartphones at VZ is now $40 * 4 = $160 + $100 (10GB shared data) = $260. That's not including any Edge/Next phone payments, or the $200 up-front cost per phone, as you included in the ATT example.

So over two years, if you use the VZ subsidized model you'll pay (($40 * 4 + $100) * 24) + ($200 * 4) = $7,040
If you use ATT Next (which I think is the more expensive method), you'd pay ($160 + ($25 * 4)) * 24 = $6,240 (NOTE: I think Next stops those payments after 18mos, so this could be actually less -- I don't know enough about Next)
If you could "make do" with some combination of Nexus 5 & Moto X's, it would be ($160 * 24) + ($350 * 4) = $5,240

We're talking about saving somewhere between $800 and $1800 over two years.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
As much as I'd like to save money the bottom line for us is coverage. Hubby is a trucker who has to have a working phone no matter where he is. If you look at the coverage maps and talk to people you will find that Verizon still has the best coverage. If you don't happen to have to worry about that then you have other options open to you. We don't. We tried Sprint and he had so many dropped calls it was ridiculous. This is just one of those things that at least for us, where money can't be everything. Dang the luck, heh?

Deb from my Note 3

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
@Deb: Totally agree. VZ's network is still best -- probably by far, despite what their competition says. I am in the NorthEast where the coverage is probably identical between VZ and ATT, and only drops-off a little for Sprint/T-Mo (though I know those two are worthless in some parts of the country).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you are on edge, 4 lines with 10gb is $180.catch is that you must be on edge to get that price

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you are on edge, 4 lines with 10gb is $180.catch is that you must be on edge to get that price

Verizon is actually giving a $25 credit per edge on the 10GB plan now starting today from what I read.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

I kept reading through their pages yesterday, and I think they're offering that "Share Value Plan" to people who go the subsidized route too. It's basically $130 for two phones, and $15 for every additional phone thereafter (plan-wise). I think the costs of the phones -- whether you buy them outright, use Edge/Next or subsidize them is apples-to-apples and a wash.

And yes, if the difference were $20/mo ($160 vs $180), I wouldn't think twice about it. VZ has the better network and I'm already on it (with phones).

So I'm going to try and call and see why I can't get my 4 phones onto the $180/mo with 10GB today. I know my chances are slim, but I'm going to try and see what their reasoning is.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I kept reading through their pages yesterday, and I think they're offering that "Share Value Plan" to people who go the subsidized route too. It's basically $130 for two phones, and $15 for every additional phone thereafter (plan-wise). I think the costs of the phones -- whether you buy them outright, use Edge/Next or subsidize them is apples-to-apples and a wash.

And yes, if the difference were $20/mo ($160 vs $180), I wouldn't think twice about it. VZ has the better network and I'm already on it (with phones).

So I'm going to try and call and see why I can't get my 4 phones onto the $180/mo with 10GB today. I know my chances are slim, but I'm going to try and see what their reasoning is.

Actually as fofjjsr pointed out above, Verizon increased the edge discount to $25,so Verizon can do 2 lines with 10gb for $130 on edge. $15 per each additional line on edge. So 4 lines for $160 , 5 lines for $175,etc.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I am also pretty positive there is no way to do the $160 plan with AT&T with subsidized phones. You can do the plan it self yes, but the line access fees go up and such.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am also pretty positive there is no way to do the $160 plan with AT&T with subsidized phones. You can do the plan it self yes, but the line access fees go up and such.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

Correct. $160 on att is no contract pricing. On contract, you would have to add $25 per line, which isn't worth it from a financial standpoint.

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm not arguing with you guys, but for my own education, where are you seeing that info?

(BTW: BOGO on the HTC M8 is pretty nice from VZ, too.)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

aweber1nj

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I meant the ATT info...$160 should be = $100 for 10GB data + 4 * $15 for 4 smartphones. I thought I read that was available for subsidized phones (in which case there's not additional $25/mo per phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I meant the ATT info...$160 should be = $100 for 10GB data + 4 * $15 for 4 smartphones. I thought I read that was available for subsidized phones (in which case there's not additional $25/mo per phone.

For att, It is available for subsidized phones purchased before a certain date as a one time deal only. Current new subsidized purchases must pay $40 per smartphone line.

Verizon is willing to forgive the remainder of your subsidized phone contract if bought before a certain date if you signed up for edge before a certain date (i believe end of this month) .

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
If you BOGO on the HTC m8 with Verizon Edge do both phones qualify for the service discount or just one?

Also does anyone know if you continue you get the service discount after an Edge phone is paid off (early or not)? Do your rates go up after 24 months? I guess what I'm asking here is once a phone is Edge is it always Edge?

Verizon could make this a lot easier by just applying service discount to all off-contract phones like AT&T does. As it stands, the rules are unclear to me.

Craneguru

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been with AT&T for years. I have 3 lines and was paying $195 a month. That was with 4GB of data. Now I pay $140 and have 10GB. I don't have to go with the Next program. I'll be eligible for upgrade next month.

PS... I get a 22% discount with work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1