Edge Plan for Single Line - Evaluation

swordstool

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This is the evaluation I'm coming up with for 2 years of service with Verizon, upgrading once per year. Both ways (with or without Edge) seem similar in cost, yet everywhere I read people are completely trashing the Edge plan. I assume I'm missing some aspect of the situation, and would like that aspect pointed out. Please show me where I'm wrong.

The Single Line Plan with unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data - WITHOUT EDGE
-$75 per month. $75 X 24 months = $1,800;
-Subsidized price of initial phone is $300 (for top-tier phone in largest capacity, at launch etc.);
-At the one year mark, pay full retail to upgrade to the newest top-tier phone at launch: $600;
Total for two years equals $2,700;
-Since I own the phones, at the one year mark (i.e. when the phone is one year old), sell each phone on eBay/trade-in site for $250, so subtract $500 from above total;
TOTAL for two years, upgrading to a new top-tier largest capacity phone at launch every 1 year, equals $2,200.

The Single Line Plan with unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data - WITH EDGE
-$65 per month (due to $10 per month Edge discount), $65 X 24 = $1,560;
-At the one year mark, hand in phone, having paid $300 (i.e. 50% of full retail) over the course of 1 year via monthly payments and receive new phone;
-Over the course of the second year, pay another $300 to cover 50% of second phone and hand in phone at end of second year;
TOTAL for two years, upgrading to a new top-tier largest capacity phone at launch every 1 year, equals $2,160.

Assumptions:
1) I want to upgrade once per year;
2) I want only the top-tier phones in the largest capacity available at launch;
3) I will keep the phones in good condition and will not lose them.

This evaluation makes it seem like Edge is slightly worth it (for me, in this situation). As I said int he beginning, PLEASE show me where I'm wrong. I am not looking for advice such as "Hey man, you should just buy an older phone and it will cost you less", or "Why do you need a new phone every year?", or "You should get on a Share Plan with a bunch of friends", etc. Thank you in advance for you help.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The only pitfall I see being only a maybe at best is the price of the top tier phones not staying consistent and they may not be available at the time of your upgrade. Otherwise seems like a sound plan assuming you didn't leave anything out.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You may be able to get the subsidized phone for less. I picked up the note 3 on release day for $90. The m8 was $70 reach when you buy two on release day.

And yes on your situation, would be worth it.

If you don't use hotspot, you can switch to the $60 loyalty plan with unlimited talk and text and 2gb data.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira