Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default what's the best way to port my VZW # to Google Voice WITHOUT disconnecting the line?

what's the best way to port my VZW # to Google Voice WITHOUT disconnecting the line?

I want to keep the VZW line but don't care what phone number is on it.

It currently has a very easy to remember number on it, but I want to port it to Google Voice.
    (the number is 407-xxx-7777, which was my landline before I ported it to VZW)

Default Re: what's the best way to port my VZW # to Google Voice WITHOUT disconnecting the line?

Have you checked that gvoice will work in your locale? That's the first step. Then you need to call vzw...ask them to assign your number to a dummy line and give you a new number for your line. Then port your old one from the dummy line...if any one has a better idea......just my two cents...hth

sent from my Nos M7 DNA

Default Re: what's the best way to port my VZW # to Google Voice WITHOUT disconnecting the line?

Port the number then immediately call Verizon to re-activate it

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I'm in the same situation, if I port it to gv, will I lose unlimited data?

Posted via Android Central App

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html#tab=port

This video explains exactly what to do! However, The Video tells you do just do it, and then call and get new service... (Activation fee's, blah blah blah) You need to call Verizon FIRST, not last... GOOGLE Voice Porting is NO different then porting from Verizon to any other carrier, it will CANCEL your line and or ACCOUNT if its a single line. My Sister did that, and by time she called, they had CANCELLED her account and i lost her unlimited data...

When i did it, this is what they had me do: Add a line and only request a SIM card... Put the Sim in your phone just for "Activating Purpose"... i then called and they SWAPPED the numbers on the line... and i was then able to PORT my current number (now on the new line) without paying, because the new line had a "14 day return policy"...

Just call them first to verify
    Thanked by:
    murof