Verizon: Edge second thoughts - Help!

Airforceflyr

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
So I fell into the Edge trap at the local corporate store and forfeited my unlimited data grandfathered plan! I upgraded to the new HTC M8 and love it. One caveat, I have a cracked screen from a drop. After researching here, I have buyers remorse of edge and I want to revert back to my previous unlimited plan. Since I purchased the phone, I've scrapped up the cash to purchase an M8 at full price.

Good news is I am still within my 14 day return window but time is running out! Need the experts to weigh in on my best option :

Option 1- return current M8 to store with cracked screen. Immediately turn around and buy a new M8 full price and have my UDP(old plan) restored? The cracked screen screen issue is what worries me. I read for equipment return policy the item must be in good condition. How about invoking my phone insurance?

Option 2- If store refuses return due to cracked screen , keep original M8 and opt out of Edge under the 14 day policy. Pay full price in store for my original /cracked HTC.

Option 3- take advantage of HTC free cracked screen replacement program. Take new mint condition phone to Verizon and go with optional 1. This is if a cracked screen is a deal-breaker at Vz store.

Just to recap, my overall goal is to get unlimited data reinstated before 14 days hit- replacing the cracked M8 is secondary.

Thanks guys for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Edge second thoughts - Help!

So I fell into the Edge trap at the local corporate store and forfeited my unlimited data grandfathered plan! I upgraded to the new HTC M8 and love it. One caveat, I have a cracked screen from a drop. After researching here, I have buyers remorse of edge and I want to revert back to my previous unlimited plan. Since I purchased the phone, I've scrapped up the cash to purchase an M8 at full price.

Good news is I am still within my 14 day return window but time is running out! Need the experts to weigh in on my best option :

Option 1- return current M8 to store with cracked screen. Immediately turn around and buy a new M8 full price and have my UDP(old plan) restored? The cracked screen screen issue is what worries me. I read for equipment return policy the item must be in good condition. How about invoking my phone insurance?

Option 2- If store refuses return due to cracked screen , keep original M8 and opt out of Edge under the 14 day policy. Pay full price in store for my original /cracked HTC.

Option 3- take advantage of HTC free cracked screen replacement program. Take new mint condition phone to Verizon and go with optional 1. This is if a cracked screen is a deal-breaker at Vz store.

Just to recap, my overall goal is to get unlimited data reinstated before 14 days hit- replacing the cracked M8 is secondary.

Thanks guys for any advice!

Welcome to the forums.
To the best of my knowledge, once you leave the Unlimited Data, that's it. I don't think you can go back. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Edge second thoughts - Help!

Welcome to the forums.
To the best of my knowledge, once you leave the Unlimited Data, that's it. I don't think you can go back. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Not an expert but that would be my guess, too.

Deb from my Note 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Call Verizon. They might reinstate unlimited data through an inactive pricing request, but call now. You have a limited time in which you might be able to revert. Keep in mind that you are not guaranteed to revert but the sooner you do it, the more likely

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

sliver108

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Call Verizon and act like you were mislead and never meant to give up your unlimited plan. After all it does kind of sound that way. Why wouldn't you use your insurance is the question?

Airforceflyr

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Update : I Dropped into the local vz store and was told by the rep if I return device within 14 days, there is not an option for me to return to unlimited data with my previous phone. I would be forced to pick one of the tiered plans.

This is contrary to some other customer experiences I've read on other forums so now I'm wondering if the rep was not being truthful.. My 14 days is over 8 April.

Regarding insurance, HTC has an independent agreement to give a 1 time free replacement due to cracked a screen.
HTC Cracked Screen Replacement | HTC United States

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would go back while that rep may still be there and get it done.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The rep in store cannot by himself reinstate unlimited data. He would have to put in an inactive pricing request. Though I might advise that you call in.

Airforceflyr

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
dpham and others :

Thanks very much. Just to clarify-- Before I submit the IPR to get my old grandfathered plan back , do I first need to return my new device that is on the edge/tiered plan within the 14 day window? I will go to the store on Tuesday.

While I'm waiting for the IPR decision , what becomes of my previous 3g / standby phone that I own ? Will I have to wait for the ipr outcome before It gets reactivated on the network?

Thanks again and I'll keep u guys informed of the outcome!

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
you would need to return the phone and go back to your previous phone and have edge removed...the problem lies with the cracked screen, a phone has to be in good condition to return

Airforceflyr

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Brandon,

Thanks . HTC is rushing me a new M8 which is under their one-time free replacement program for a cracked screen. It beats paying the $99 vz deductible.

Now whether or not vzw will accept the new phone with a new serial number remains to be seen!

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The serial number has to be the one be the one sold out at the time of purchase. This is like purchasing a Playstation or Xbox, the serial number had to match what the system sold out.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The serial number has to be the one be the one sold out at the time of purchase. This is like purchasing a Playstation or Xbox, the serial number had to match what the system sold out.

Not 100% sure but I believe replacement from Verizon asurion should also qualify.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Not 100% sure but I believe replacement from Verizon asurion should also qualify.

He didn't go through asurion, he went through Htc... That's where I'm hesitating they will take it back.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
He didn't go through asurion, he went through Htc... That's where I'm hesitating they will take it back.

Yeah not sure about that. I would call Verizon to be sure. Document what was said and who he talks to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy