Worth Trading Unlimited Data for Cheaper Plan + New Phone Subsidy?

Jamno

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Can you share your opinion? I'm debating if it's worth giving up my unlimited data plan with Verizon to get a new phone at the subsidized price. I'm not using too much data now, but always liked knowing I could if needed. It may be worth losing unlimited and I'm trying to figure out the best way to maximize my situation - I've read Verizon will offer special unadvertised plans to get grandfathered customers to switch/upgrade. Here's what I'm paying now:

Grandfathered Nationwide plan, off-contract:
Data = $30/mo for Unlimited
Voice = $60/mo for 900 minutes
Text = $5/mo for 250 texts
TOTAL = $95/mo for a single line (no family plan)

Verizon has loyalty plans (for grandfathered customers) which supposedly increases the data on their $60 Single Line plan to 2GB (instead of the standard 1GB), with unlimited voice and text. That would save me $35/mo compared to now, plus get me a phone subsidy. How much is the cost of additional data per GB if I go over?

Also, I've also heard about a "Verizon Max" plan with 6GB data, which would also get me a subsidy. What's the catch? How much would I pay total when I add in the voice and text? Is this plan worth it?

Additionally, my girlfriend is off-contract and eligible for an upgrade with Verizon. We were thinking about doing the BOGO deal for the new Galaxy S5 and signing new contracts. If we have separate accounts can we take advantage of the BOGO deal?

Sorry if this is confusing - I'm dying to upgrade from my old Bionic and trying to save some cash along the way. I've read rumors that Verizon could end unlimited anyway after June so I figure now may be a good time to get a new deal. Any info or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
As someone who gave up the unlimited for the subsidized device, I have to say when it was 2GB it didn't seem worth it. I couldn't allow the kids to watch YouTube or Netflix at the restaurants any more and I found that I was always getting texts from BigRed that I was hitting 75% or 90% of my data allowance. Now that they have upped it to 3GB I'm still not able to watch movies or the like when we're out, but I'm not getting the usage alerts so 3 seems to be a better fit. As for voice and texting. The bump to unlimited voice has been a big help because we were going over on voice two to three months a year. So is it worth it? It depends on which side of the data-voice line you're on. If you comfortable on the voice side with the unlimited data plan and can swing the full price of the device I'd say it's worth it. However if you're running close to the voice minutes and can live within the 3GB data limit it could be worth it to get the subsidized price. The only other consideration you might entertain is that by not renewing your contract you are not under contract meaning you can jump ship or make any changes you want at anytime without penalty.

Jamno

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Now that they have upped it to 3GB I'm still not able to watch movies or the like when we're out, but I'm not getting the usage alerts so 3 seems to be a better fit.

Is there a 3GB option for $60 on the loyalty plan (with unlimited voice/text)? That would a little more tempting, but I have not heard of that before. How did you get that plan?

My usage data is typically under 2GB - however - that's because I switched jobs and my usage went way down (no travel). I'm hoping to change jobs this year and my data needs could easily increase. That's why the "Max" plan intrigued me at 6GB - I could probably live with that as a limit but don't know if I can get it for $60. I used to have a corporate discount, but lost it so I've been overpaying for my usage for a while. I'd save $420/yr if I got a $60/mo plan. Still, unlimited is tough to give up so I'm trying to maximize my options while Verizon is still motivated to provide special deals to people with grandfathered plans.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
- Do you need to keep your phone number? If you don't, then you could potentially "sell" your plan (thus your phone number along with it) to someone if you decide to get rid of it.

- The BOGO only works for orders on one account. So you cannot use one of your upgrades and a buddy's upgrade.

- Depending on what phone you want, you could potentially find a newer device at a good price. Of course, depends on if you are willing to a) buy used and b) buy online.

I say if you like the added peace of mind with unlimited, then just hang on to it... But if you are able to save money by going to a capped plan, with a limit you can live with, then definitely go for that.

Diabl0

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if they're still offering the 6gb Max plan to unlimited users, but if they are it gives you 6gb of data for the same price you are paying now ($30/mth). It just switches you over to a share everything plan. You'd have to call customer service and ask.

Jamno

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
- Do you need to keep your phone number? If you don't, then you could potentially "sell" your plan (thus your phone number along with it) to someone if you decide to get rid of it.

- The BOGO only works for orders on one account. So you cannot use one of your upgrades and a buddy's upgrade.

Thanks for the feedback - I definitely need to keep my phone number, and I'm sorry to hear that the BOGO only works for one account. My girlfriend was hoping to get in on the deal and share the savings if we both got new GS5's.

I guess I'm hoping to get the most amount of GB from Verizon in exchange for giving up my unlimited plan. Their reps always seem to offer different deals: $60 single line "loyalty" plan for 1GB...or 2GB...then someone mentioned 3GB! Then there is the Max plan for 6GB, but I'm not certain of the monthly charge for voice/text.

On the $60 loyalty plan, sometimes reps quote the monthly overage charge as $10/GB, sometimes it's $15/GB. For standard (non-loyalty) plans it's $15 for 500MB, which is $30 per GB! Boggles the mind. If I lose unlimited and go over my allowance on occasion I want to insure I can get extra data at a good price.

Does anyone know what is the most GB Verizon will provide for the $60 single line plan (loyalty program), and what is the best they will offer for the monthly overage fee per/GB?

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Google Verizon loyalty max or just call them. They know about it, from my understanding it's unlimited text and minutes and 6gb data for one line. Base is $40 and $30 for the data.

I had read about people sharing it with with multiple phone and just paying $40 for another phone to add but every time I have called they wouldn't allow it. It's only for users that get rid of unlimited and they can't do it until you upgrade your phone. You have 30 days to upgrade to the loyalty max plan.

Posted via Android Central App

Jamno

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Google Verizon loyalty max or just call them. They know about it, from my understanding it's unlimited text and minutes and 6gb data for one line. Base is $40 and $30 for the data.

Thanks - I wasn't sure what the "base" price was for text/data for that plan. Problem is Verizon reps continually give different answers, or are just flat out uninformed. If you're correct about the Loyalty Max plan, then it'll be $70/mo total for unlimited text/voice and 6GB data. That would be tempting, especially if I get the new phone subsidy. Any idea what they charge per GB for data overages on this plan?

It's only for users that get rid of unlimited and they can't do it until you upgrade your phone. You have 30 days to upgrade to the loyalty max plan.

So, here's where I get nervous. I want to make sure I don't get suckered into giving up unlimited data and then Verizon screws up when I do the upgrade and doesn't deliver the correct loyalty plan/specs/pricing as promised. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten conflicting info from their reps. Is there a way to get the new plan in writing before I pull the trigger on the upgrade? Is there a special # to call with competent customer service reps who specialize in loyalty plans?

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
You (OP) could also add a line and do the smartphone / dumb phone swap. Your bill would increase by $10 monthly, but you will keep your unlimited data on the primary line. You will also be able to utilize the secondary line to upgrade in the future. I would not give up UDP.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks - I wasn't sure what the "base" price was for text/data for that plan. Problem is Verizon reps continually give different answers, or are just flat out uninformed. If you're correct about the Loyalty Max plan, then it'll be $70/mo total for unlimited text/voice and 6GB data. That would be tempting, especially if I get the new phone subsidy. Any idea what they charge per GB for data overages on this plan?

I believe they charge $10-$15 per gig.

So, here's where I get nervous. I want to make sure I don't get suckered into giving up unlimited data and then Verizon screws up when I do the upgrade and doesn't deliver the correct loyalty plan/specs/pricing as promised. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten conflicting info from their reps. Is there a way to get the new plan in writing before I pull the trigger on the upgrade? Is there a special # to call with competent customer service reps who specialize in loyalty plans?

You're wise to be nervous. Verizon is being quite dubious in their efforts to get people out of UDP plans. Others on this site have mentioned upgrading through Best Buy's website. Make sure you take screenshots each step. This ensures you'll have recourse should they switch your data plan.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
you would also have to pay taxes and fees above that.

You (OP) could also add a line and do the smartphone / dumb phone swap. Your bill would increase by $10 monthly, but you will keep your unlimited data on the primary line. You will also be able to utilize the secondary line to upgrade in the future. I would not give up UDP.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
About two months ago I got a text from Verizon saying that my plan was going up to 3GB at no additional cost. They didn't say why this was happening or I didn't pay attention to why. I have a share plan with 2 lines with unlimited talk and text now with 3GB data plan.

sliver108

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you share your opinion? I'm debating if it's worth giving up my unlimited data plan with Verizon to get a new phone at the subsidized price. I'm not using too much data now, but always liked knowing I could if needed. It may be worth losing unlimited and I'm trying to figure out the best way to maximize my situation - I've read Verizon will offer special unadvertised plans to get grandfathered customers to switch/upgrade. Here's what I'm paying now:

Grandfathered Nationwide plan, off-contract:
Data = $30/mo for Unlimited
Voice = $60/mo for 900 minutes
Text = $5/mo for 250 texts
TOTAL = $95/mo for a single line (no family plan)

Verizon has loyalty plans (for grandfathered customers) which supposedly increases the data on their $60 Single Line plan to 2GB (instead of the standard 1GB), with unlimited voice and text. That would save me $35/mo compared to now, plus get me a phone subsidy. How much is the cost of additional data per GB if I go over?

Also, I've also heard about a "Verizon Max" plan with 6GB data, which would also get me a subsidy. What's the catch? How much would I pay total when I add in the voice and text? Is this plan worth it?

Additionally, my girlfriend is off-contract and eligible for an upgrade with Verizon. We were thinking about doing the BOGO deal for the new Galaxy S5 and signing new contracts. If we have separate accounts can we take advantage of the BOGO deal?

Sorry if this is confusing - I'm dying to upgrade from my old Bionic and trying to save some cash along the way. I've read rumors that Verizon could end unlimited anyway after June so I figure now may be a good time to get a new deal. Any info or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I feel that there is only one way to go about this.

1. Figure out your historical usage.
2. Then think about your possible future usage.
3. If the plan for your needed usage is more than the $95 then keep it.
4. If it is less then decide what that freedom is worth as a dollar figure.

Jamno

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I feel that there is only one way to go about this.

1. Figure out your historical usage.
2. Then think about your possible future usage.
3. If the plan for your needed usage is more than the $95 then keep it.
4. If it is less then decide what that freedom is worth as a dollar figure.

Thanks to everyone for their input - much appreciated. I went into Costco and spoke to one of their wireless reps who confirmed (by looking up my account via computer) they would be able to get me the Verizon Max Loyalty plan (6GB) and be able to do it at the same time I purchased a phone. That makes me feel better about not getting suckered since the contract would be printed out at the same time with all the terms and conditions in while I'm in the store.

Also, there is a deal for the Galaxy S5 at Costco which runs until April 20th for $99.99 so I'm very tempted and think that is the final lure to get to make the change. That's a pretty big subsidy for a new phone, and I'm not really using that much data now. I've always liked the security of knowing I could do whatever I wanted with unlimited, but that comfort has been costing me money. My Droid Bionic is slow and in need of an upgrade so I'm leaning towards taking the new phone subsidy and getting the Max 6GB plan. The only issue is they've been running out of stock both online and in the stores so I'll have to see if I can get it by the 20th. Thanks for all the advice - this forum is great!

sliver108

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their input - much appreciated. I went into Costco and spoke to one of their wireless reps who confirmed (by looking up my account via computer) they would be able to get me the Verizon Max Loyalty plan (6GB) and be able to do it at the same time I purchased a phone. That makes me feel better about not getting suckered since the contract would be printed out at the same time with all the terms and conditions in while I'm in the store.

Also, there is a deal for the Galaxy S5 at Costco which runs until April 20th for $99.99 so I'm very tempted and think that is the final lure to get to make the change. That's a pretty big subsidy for a new phone, and I'm not really using that much data now. I've always liked the security of knowing I could do whatever I wanted with unlimited, but that comfort has been costing me money. My Droid Bionic is slow and in need of an upgrade so I'm leaning towards taking the new phone subsidy and getting the Max 6GB plan. The only issue is they've been running out of stock both online and in the stores so I'll have to see if I can get it by the 20th. Thanks for all the advice - this forum is great!

I was in the same boat...sort of. I came from Sprint (still sticking pins in the voodoo doll) and had unlimited data. We (2 people) used an average of 2GB a month combined since we were always on wifi pretty much. Well may max out at 3 or 4 now but it was still scary lol.

Jamno

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same boat...sort of. I came from Sprint (still sticking pins in the voodoo doll) and had unlimited data. We (2 people) used an average of 2GB a month combined since we were always on wifi pretty much. Well may max out at 3 or 4 now but it was still scary lol.

HELP! I went to Costco today, and things did not go as planned. I bought the phone (Galaxy 5S) but am seriously considering returning it within the 14 day period. Here's what happened:

1. The rep in the kiosk said he could put me on the Max plan, but that was just for the 6GB data (for $29.99 - the same as I was paying for unlimited). I'd have to keep my previous voice/data plan (900 minutes, 250 text for $65) - not good. My understanding was that I'd be able to get the unlimited voice/text plan for $40. That way I'd be paying $70 per month ($30 for 6GB of data + $40 for unlimited voice/text) - instead of $95 per month ($65 for 900 min/250 text + $30 unlimited data) on my old contract. The rep said he couldn't give me the new voice/text plan, which kills my planned monthly savings.

2. I wanted to get the phone today (Saturday, 4/19) because the Galaxy 5S had a special $99.99 deal at Costco, expiring on Sunday, 4/20. I told him I would buy the phone but did NOT want to activate it until I resolved the calling plan issue within the 14 day return period. He said I could not leave the store with the phone without activating it first. What?! It was no use arguing, so ultimately I told him I wanted him to immediately reactivate my old Droid Bionic right afterwards. He put in a new SIM, but I did keep the old one. The new 5S is still in the box, activated then deactivated.

3. So I'm reading the paperwork in detail later (it was chaotic in the store and I had to leave) and I don't even see a change in data plan. Weird. It does not say I have 6GB data. It does not say I have unlimited. There is no mention of a data plan. It just says "Upgrade" and has the old Nationwide 900 talk plan still on there. Hmm. I'm thinking maybe I got lucky and my data plan is unchanged. I log into MyVerizon online and it says I'm already EXCEEDING my data plan! After 3 hours. With 558MB of total usage on a 387MB allowance?! I'm in the last day of my billing cycle, so it could be a pro-rating issue. I cant' figure out what is going on.

My Questions:

1. Is there any reason I cannot combine the Verizon Max 6GB data plan ($30) with the calling plan for unlimited voice and text ($40)?

2. Can anyone figure out what happened to my data plan based on my description of the contract paperwork and the MyVerizon site? I'm going to call Verizon on Monday and ask for a supervisor, but any thoughts you have are appreciated.

3. With the 14 day return policy, should I anticipate having any problems getting back my unlimited data plan if they cannot resolve the calling plan issue to my satisfaction?

I'm going to call Verizon on Monday, but really don't trust them - I trust the smart people on the forum much more. Thanks for any input/feedback you can provide!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith