Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default SIM Card Size Difference?

    So I'm on a plan with my mom and dad still (free cell phone bills rule!). My dad has a smartphone and my mom a dumbphone. My line and my dad's are both eligible for upgrade. So, I thought since he uses very little data, I would use his upgrade to get myself a new HTC One M8 (feel free to talk me into/out of it - I'd like another Nexus, but alas... VZW). When I told the VZW dude what I wanted to do, he told me we couldn't do it because "the sim card in the One M8 is a different size than the one in the Nexus". I was in shock... I thought the whole point of the SIM card system was to easily be able to swap them among phones, but I had to take him at his word. Has anyone else heard of this or was this guy full of it?
  2. #2  

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    The Nexus 5 has a micro SIM and the M8 uses a nano SIM.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    The Nexus 5 has a micro SIM and the M8 uses a nano SIM.
    Sorry, should've specified I'm using a GNex but it looks like that is also using a micro SIM.

    I just hadn't even heard of differing size SIM cards before. Blew my mind. Sorry, I guess that was a dumb question then.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid003 View Post
    Sorry, should've specified I'm using a GNex but it looks like that is also using a micro SIM.

    I just hadn't even heard of differing size SIM cards before. Blew my mind. Sorry, I guess that was a dumb question then.
    Get one of these Nano SIM Card to Micro SIM Car - Rakuten.com Shopping use the nano sim in your NEXUS for a while then when you get it working in your NEXUS transfer it to the new phone maybe.
  5. #5  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,756 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?



    Mini SIM vs. Micro SIM vs. Nano SIM.

    And be careful when using adapters: Warning: Using a SIM adapter incorrectly brings down a world of hate | Android Central
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I read that warning the other day. Would never have thought they would cause that much havoc.
  7. #7  
    jweimn's Avatar

    Posts
    351 Posts
    Global Posts
    371 Global Posts

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    Not sure why you were told this as he is completely wrong it can be done. All you do is upgrade his line then put his phone back on it. Then you just take the device and put it on your line you will have to change your SIM card to a nano SIM as the m8 does use a different SIM but Verizon should give you that for free. All can easily be done, seems like some stupidity on the Verizon employees side but it happens.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    So he basically said that the reason you couldn't have the upgrade, was because the phone you want has a different type of SIM card? That literally makes no sense. Aren't they supposed to provide you with a new SIM whenever you get a new phone? Technology is evolving, that's why SIM cards are changing; regardless if you were using your upgrade or your dad's (you're entitled to use any upgrade on your plan), the SIM card would be a different size on the One anyway. You could always trim your current sim, but that's up to you to make that decision if you feel it's worth preserving your SIM.

    If you're worried about losing contacts and such, I think Verizon's Backup Assistant still works.
  9. #9  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    919 Posts

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by intrepid003 View Post
    So I'm on a plan with my mom and dad still (free cell phone bills rule!). My dad has a smartphone and my mom a dumbphone. My line and my dad's are both eligible for upgrade. So, I thought since he uses very little data, I would use his upgrade to get myself a new HTC One M8 (feel free to talk me into/out of it - I'd like another Nexus, but alas... VZW). When I told the VZW dude what I wanted to do, he told me we couldn't do it because "the sim card in the One M8 is a different size than the one in the Nexus". I was in shock... I thought the whole point of the SIM card system was to easily be able to swap them among phones, but I had to take him at his word. Has anyone else heard of this or was this guy full of it?
    Interested, was this a corporate store or a private retailer? Private retailers usually charge for SIM cards, and sometimes don't want to part with them as easily. Also they may not even know you can do what you were trying to do either.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  10. #10  

    Default Re: SIM Card Size Difference?

    Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    So he basically said that the reason you couldn't have the upgrade, was because the phone you want has a different type of SIM card? That literally makes no sense. Aren't they supposed to provide you with a new SIM whenever you get a new phone? Technology is evolving, that's why SIM cards are changing; regardless if you were using your upgrade or your dad's (you're entitled to use any upgrade on your plan), the SIM card would be a different size on the One anyway. You could always trim your current sim, but that's up to you to make that decision if you feel it's worth preserving your SIM.

    If you're worried about losing contacts and such, I think Verizon's Backup Assistant still works.


    I have always been given a sim card when buying a new phone

Similar Threads

  1. Saving music and movies to SD card
    By chr1sny in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 05:04 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 10:02 PM
  3. Apps and SD cards
    By lanm1192 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 06:15 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 10:36 AM
  5. How do I determine if my phone is SIM-locked to AT&T?
    By teffects in forum Moto X (2013)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2014, 10:24 AM

Posting Permissions