SIM Card Size Difference?

intrepid003

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
So I'm on a plan with my mom and dad still (free cell phone bills rule!). My dad has a smartphone and my mom a dumbphone. My line and my dad's are both eligible for upgrade. So, I thought since he uses very little data, I would use his upgrade to get myself a new HTC One M8 (feel free to talk me into/out of it - I'd like another Nexus, but alas... VZW). When I told the VZW dude what I wanted to do, he told me we couldn't do it because "the sim card in the One M8 is a different size than the one in the Nexus". I was in shock... I thought the whole point of the SIM card system was to easily be able to swap them among phones, but I had to take him at his word. Has anyone else heard of this or was this guy full of it?

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, should've specified I'm using a GNex but it looks like that is also using a micro SIM.

I just hadn't even heard of differing size SIM cards before. Blew my mind. Sorry, I guess that was a dumb question then.

Get one of these Nano SIM Card to Micro SIM Car - Rakuten.com Shopping use the nano sim in your NEXUS for a while then when you get it working in your NEXUS transfer it to the new phone maybe.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
LJWbkWd.jpg

Mini SIM vs. Micro SIM vs. Nano SIM.

And be careful when using adapters: Warning: Using a SIM adapter incorrectly brings down a world of hate | Android Central

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why you were told this as he is completely wrong it can be done. All you do is upgrade his line then put his phone back on it. Then you just take the device and put it on your line you will have to change your SIM card to a nano SIM as the m8 does use a different SIM but Verizon should give you that for free. All can easily be done, seems like some stupidity on the Verizon employees side but it happens.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So he basically said that the reason you couldn't have the upgrade, was because the phone you want has a different type of SIM card? That literally makes no sense. Aren't they supposed to provide you with a new SIM whenever you get a new phone? Technology is evolving, that's why SIM cards are changing; regardless if you were using your upgrade or your dad's (you're entitled to use any upgrade on your plan), the SIM card would be a different size on the One anyway. You could always trim your current sim, but that's up to you to make that decision if you feel it's worth preserving your SIM.

If you're worried about losing contacts and such, I think Verizon's Backup Assistant still works.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So I'm on a plan with my mom and dad still (free cell phone bills rule!). My dad has a smartphone and my mom a dumbphone. My line and my dad's are both eligible for upgrade. So, I thought since he uses very little data, I would use his upgrade to get myself a new HTC One M8 (feel free to talk me into/out of it - I'd like another Nexus, but alas... VZW). When I told the VZW dude what I wanted to do, he told me we couldn't do it because "the sim card in the One M8 is a different size than the one in the Nexus". I was in shock... I thought the whole point of the SIM card system was to easily be able to swap them among phones, but I had to take him at his word. Has anyone else heard of this or was this guy full of it?

Interested, was this a corporate store or a private retailer? Private retailers usually charge for SIM cards, and sometimes don't want to part with them as easily. Also they may not even know you can do what you were trying to do either.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So he basically said that the reason you couldn't have the upgrade, was because the phone you want has a different type of SIM card? That literally makes no sense. Aren't they supposed to provide you with a new SIM whenever you get a new phone? Technology is evolving, that's why SIM cards are changing; regardless if you were using your upgrade or your dad's (you're entitled to use any upgrade on your plan), the SIM card would be a different size on the One anyway. You could always trim your current sim, but that's up to you to make that decision if you feel it's worth preserving your SIM.

If you're worried about losing contacts and such, I think Verizon's Backup Assistant still works.

I have always been given a sim card when buying a new phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang