Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 4runnerbrett
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon: Seriously considering giving up my UNLIMITED plan....

First, my wife and I average less than 2GB per month combined.

With the new VZW more everything pricing of $30 per smartphone (if you BYOD) and 4GB of data, I will save $20 per month.

Not much savings, but the benefits (for me) include:

1. Moving my awesome current VZW number to Google Voice (been wanting to do this for sometime)
    2. Free (non-root) hotspot (yeah!)
    3. $20 savings per month
    4. Unlimited talk

What else should I consider?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-14-2014 at 09:49 PM.

Default Re: Seriously considering giving up my UNLIMITED plan....

Unlimited text. Ability to add Canadian roaming on a monthly bases. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

If you use a lot of "free (non-root) hotspot", could that result in a big increase in your data usage?

I'll take over your unlimited data plan if you'd like.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by slik6996 View Post
    I'll take over your unlimited data plan if you'd like.
    I dont know how that works, but I'm not giving up my vwz cell number. My understanding is that my service on that particular line will discontinue once i move the number to GV
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by ETPhoneHomeT View Post
    If you use a lot of "free (non-root) hotspot", could that result in a big increase in your data usage?
    very little use for hotspot, but would be nice to have. wont have much impact on my usage

With the new VZW more everything pricing of $30 per smartphone (if you BYOD) and 4GB of data, I will save $20 per month.

Not much savings, but the benefits (for me) include:

1. Moving my awesome current VZW number to Google Voice (been wanting to do this for sometime)
    3. $20 savings per month
    4. Unlimited talk

I would go with the 10gb plan over the 4gb plan
    Both will run you $130 byod, so why not get more data even if you don't use it since it is the same price?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Default Re: Verizon: Seriously considering giving up my UNLIMITED plan....

I would stick to unlimited because $20 bucks is not that much and worth not having to worry at the end of each month if your over.

Posted via Android Central App
    Synycalwon likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I would go with the 10gb plan over the 4gb plan
    Both will run you $130 byod, so why not get more data even if you don't use it since it is the same price?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro
    Can you explain how you came to $130?

Can you explain how you came to $130?
    10gb: $100 data +(2) x $15 Line access charge

4gb: $70 data + (2) x $30 line access charge

Both assuming byod or edge. Without it, the line access charge would be $40 per line

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Almeuit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerbrett View Post
    I would stick to unlimited because $20 bucks is not that much and worth not having to worry at the end of each month if your over.

This guy gets it. You can always port your number somewhere in the future if you want. You'll never get unlimited back. Never. At least not until we're on 6G and data buckets are irrelevant. Hell I happily pay the $30 hotspot fee and tether for a total of 20 GB per month.

Once you start tethering that data will be gone quickly.

Nice try Verizon plant

I. Would. Kill. For. Unlimited. ie kids and Netflix go together like cake and ice cream! Do not give it up....one little circumstance changes and ur screwed.. like a job change or family crisis....overages and constant checking each month to make sure of no overage. Did I mention no video streaming? No YouTube no music in the cloud....no pics in the cloud....dang it!!!!! Really wish I had unlimited. One day of two hours of YouTube....Overlimit!! Someone forgot to make sure WiFi was turned on...and watched YouTube on lte. Guess what... there went $20.

sent from my Nos M7 DNA
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Well, you guys have convinced me to stick with unlimited. I'm sure VZW will find a way to force us of it at some point.

I really wish I could port my VZW number to GV though....and keep unlimited.

Well, you guys have convinced me to stick with unlimited. I'm sure VZW will find a way to force us of it at some point.

Why do you want to port to Google voice? if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by huskers15 View Post
    Why do you want to port to Google voice? if you don't mind me asking.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    So I can use that number to ring both my office and cell phone and also use it for texts. That would truly make me a one number person.

Currently, I have an office number (land line), which I have to manually forward to my cell when I am out of the office and then unforward when i get back. So, for telephone, I have one number
    Then, I have a second number (my current GV number for texts) since I don't have vzw text service

The big thing is that my current VZW number is a ridiculously easy number. If I port the VZW number to GV, I would change my advertised business phone number and have it ring both my office and cell. Thus, no more call forwarding required and the same number for texts. The end game being a true one number set up.

You can. A couple of disclaimers: I haven't done this personally because when I first got my smartphone in 2010, I started using my Google Voice # as my cell # from the beginning.

Secondly, I acquired (for free) an unlimited data line for free from an individual that used this method. He ported his number to GV, changed it through VZW and allowed me to assume the Unlimited line and still have unlimited.

Third, if I recall correctly, VZW keeps all #s that have been recently changed or gotten rid of frozen, unable to be given to someone else for a period of time. Not sure if it is 7 days or 30 or longer. I speak from experience because I changed my number through my VZW account and had second thoughts the next day. I called customer service and they transferred me to some upper level department that was able to reassign my old # back to my line. This is your way out in case something goes wrong.

Now, here are the details taken from: https://community.verizonwireless.co.../526242#526242

Success story, porting my VZW number to Google Voice
    crash69 Citizen
    crash69 May 11, 2011 11:44 AM

The following is how I've taken my Verizon Wireless cell phone number and ported it to Google Voice with little frustration. Please attempt at your own risk as this is not for the faint of heart (I have had this cell number for 10 + years and I did not want to loose it).

I called and talked to a Verizon support technician, and while he didn't have any experience with Google Voice, he recommended I port my number via Google Voice and then change my number associated to my Verizon Account as soon as possible (you can do this via the Verizon Wireless website).

First I loaded both the Google Voice website for porting my current cell phone number and in a separate tab, I loaded the Verizon Wireless site for changing my cell phone number (while logged into the Verizon Wireless site, you can query for "Change Phone Number" and this will take you to the correct page)
    I then followed the steps for porting my current cell number to Google Voice (Warning, there is a $20.00 charge from Google to provide this service)
    As soon as I finished the steps on the Google site, I immediately began the steps for changing my wireless number on the Verizon Wireless site
    I then had to re-register my cell phone on the Verizon network by dialing *228 option 1 (Warning, my phone reset it-self to factory default with out warning... as always, make sure your data is backed up)

As the instructions on the Google Voice site state, the porting process can take up to 24 hours (i.e. your old number will be out of service for a full day); for me it was approximately 23 hours to the minute. Also, as stated on the instructions, you may not have text messaging to your old number for up to three days (mine is still not working but I am only 36 hours into the process).

Best of luck

Now, a couple things, 4G phones do not use *228. It may take a few attempts of powering down and powering down the phone to get it to recognize your new #, but newer sims should be able to recognize a new # without having to be replaced.

Obviously, there is always some risk. Regardless, if you attempt to port your number to Google Voice, be prepared there may be a 24-28 period or less where you may not receive all your texts or where you receive them at both numbers. However, this should resolve itself.

Idealy, try to do it on a weekend or a day where you may be less reliant on your phone.

Please don't shoot me for asking this, would you consider Sprint? You can port to google voice and get unlimited data (hot spot is extra though). I am looking to start a "Framily" but thought I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Zagotti View Post
    Please don't shoot me for asking this, would you consider Sprint? You can port to google voice and get unlimited data (hot spot is extra though). I am looking to start a "Framily" but thought I would ask.
    OP if you do this I highly recommend testing them first. If you only get 3g you will be very upset.

Also Mark not sure what you do on your phone but Sprint does some restrictions specifically for the Framily plan.. I found out about them when looking up the plan for my brother since he is on Sprint.

See the below screenshot.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon: Seriously considering giving up my UNLIMITED plan....-1397686182730.jpg  

That is why Verizon Unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE with unlimited unthrottled hotspot is such a gem. Can be used on any device and in any method you choose. No other us carrier fully matches this

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    JnEricsonx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    OP if you do this I highly recommend testing them first. If you only get 3g you will be very upset.

Also Mark not sure what you do on your phone but Sprint does some restrictions specifically for the Framily plan.. I found out about them when looking up the plan for my brother since he is on Sprint.

See the below screenshot.

I do quite a bit of music streaming and my data has never been throttled. I average under 2 gigs a month since I am in wifi most of the time. As far as 4G for Sprint goes, if you live a populated area, there is a good chance 4G is active as Network Vision wraps up. 4G just went live where I live earli e'er this year which has been nice.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Keep unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Zagotti View Post
    I do quite a bit of music streaming and my data has never been throttled. I average under 2 gigs a month since I am in wifi most of the time. As far as 4G for Sprint goes, if you live a populated area, there is a good chance 4G is active as Network Vision wraps up. 4G just went live where I live earli e'er this year which has been nice.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
    It says video streaming.. Not music .

I don't know if anything's changed since I downloaded it, but Foxfi works fine for me. You can download the free version to test it out, and then buy the ~$8 pro app if you know it works. I think the d/l speed is like ~700KBPS--enough to stream HQ Netflix onto my Chromecast. I think you have to allow some sort of VPN certificate from the app or somethingrather, but I don't remember it being too painful or sketchy a process.