Verizon: Edge Program Benefit

jack1953

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This may be old news to some, but after making the decision to go to the early Edge program my wife and I discovered a benefit of doing so.

If you are willing to pay the extra money for the 10G Data plan, you get $25.00 off each line that you use the Edge program on!

My wife and I Edged up both our phones. She went from S3 to S4 and I went from S4 to S5. We were on the 6G Data plan but we moved up into the 10G plan.

By doing so, we get $50.00 off our bill, $25.00 for each phone.

In other words, yes we are paying for more data, but we are getting our phones for free, because the price of the Edge monthly program is negated by the $50 off!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Edge Program Benefit

Yeah particularly on multiple lines, increasing data to the 10GB tier can make sense especially as you increase lines.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

sliver108

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

This may be old news to some, but after making the decision to go to the early Edge program my wife and I discovered a benefit of doing so.

If you are willing to pay the extra money for the 10G Data plan, you get $25.00 off each line that you use the Edge program on!

My wife and I Edged up both our phones. She went from S3 to S4 and I went from S4 to S5. We were on the 6G Data plan but we moved up into the 10G plan.

By doing so, we get $50.00 off our bill, $25.00 for each phone.

In other words, yes we are paying for more data, but we are getting our phones for free, because the price of the Edge monthly program is negated by the $50 off!!

Finally, someone that can do math lol. We were in the same boat jack. It depends on the phones and some other small variables but most times it makes sense to jump from the 6 to the 10 plan.

Frankfan2112

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

My 2-year contract is up in less than a week and I already switched to the new More Everything Plan (w/ 12GB data). I own a brand new LG G2 so 1 of my 4 lines will not need an upgrade. The other 3 lines will all get new phones using the EDGE program when my contract is up. I don't want to do this early as I don't want to give them phones that are nearly mine. Verizon gives me $25 off the $40 line charge for each line that gets an EDGE phone. If you don't get an EDGE phone on a line I would still have to pay the full $40 (and don't get a phone).

My question: Should I get a fourth phone for the line that has the LG G2? I could get another LG G2 and throw it in a drawer as a spare for $20.83 a month on EDGE and get $25 off for that line saving me $4.17 a month. Or I could even get a cheaper phone (MOTO X) and save more.

Am I off base? Does this sound plausible, or am I missing something?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you don't get edge but instead paid the full retail and you are off contract on the line then you should be able to get the $15 /mo line access charge for the 12gb data plan

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If you don't get edge but instead paid the full retail and you are off contract on the line then you should be able to get the $15 /mo line access charge for the 12gb data plan

Yep this a recent change. Good one to IMO.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I will have to say, that my wife and I are saving a lot of money with this new incentive.

Went from only having 5GB each, and paying well over $200 a month. With this new plan, we have 12GB to share, and it is costing us less than $150. Both of us are on Edge, and are both rocking the Droid MAXX. Couldn't be happier, thank you Verizon for finally doing something right!

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!