Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    I tested the LTE speeds on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and my Co workers Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II side by side, and speeds indoors at my desk are way faster on aws.

    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II :



    Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3



    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Ouch 2 Mbit :o

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Haha, yeah the regular LTE around me isn't that bad, but these AWS speeds make me wish I had more data. The upload is meh though...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison-1398192893847.jpg  
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Ouch 2 Mbit :o

    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    I am in a densely populated area, with high rises all around. So it is a heavy load. Aws was the main advantage of me getting the note 3 when I already had the note 2. Much quicker Internet is well worth it.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  5. #5  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I am in a densely populated area, with high rises all around. So it is a heavy load. Aws was the main advantage of me getting the note 3 when I already had the note 2. Much quicker Internet is well worth it.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    As more and more phones get to use that band and the carriers keep overselling their capacity it will slow down as the other bands has slowed as the oversold the capacity. Enjoy it while you can, It may not be around forever.
  6. #6  
    HawaiiD's Avatar

    Posts
    898 Posts
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    I am in a densely populated area, with high rises all around. So it is a heavy load. Aws was the main advantage of me getting the note 3 when I already had the note 2. Much quicker Internet is well worth it.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    So there is more phones on 700mhz lte with Verizon? I thought the higher aws frequency would suffer from indoor penetration?

    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    So there is more phones on 700mhz lte with Verizon? I thought the higher aws frequency would suffer from indoor penetration?

    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S
    It does. I used to get 85-90dbm on 700MHz, now 100dbm on aws.

    Higher frequency has worse building penetration but higher capacity. Also Verizon has more aws spectrum than it does 700MHz. Add to it that a number of Verizon devices are not aws compatible. As people transition to aws devices, aws speeds will decrease.




    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  8. #8  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    839 Posts

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    It does. I used to get 85-90dbm on 700MHz, now 100dbm on aws.

    Higher frequency has worse building penetration but higher capacity. Also Verizon has more aws spectrum than it does 700MHz. Add to it that a number of Verizon devices are not aws compatible. As people transition to aws devices, aws speeds will decrease.




    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I am interested to see how Verizon "increasing bandwith" as that rolls out slowly, how speeds are affected then.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    I am interested to see how Verizon "increasing bandwith" as that rolls out slowly, how speeds are affected then.
    At some point Verizon will have to upgrade the backhaul. Aws 20x20mhz should be able to get 150mbps, but peak from what people report is around 80-100. The backhaul is split between aws and 700 MHz. Right now aws hasn't reached capacity yet, but it probably will in the future.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  10. #10  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    839 Posts

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    At some point Verizon will have to upgrade the backhaul. Aws 20x20mhz should be able to get 150mbps, but peak from what people report is around 80-100. The backhaul is split between aws and 700 MHz. Right now aws hasn't reached capacity yet, but it probably will in the future.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    They have already is some of the major metropolitan areas out of necessity, but they are promising to amp it up everywhere now.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    They have already is some of the major metropolitan areas out of necessity, but they are promising to amp it up everywhere now.
    To me, it doesn't make sense to deploy aws in rural areas. 700 MHz LTE is more than adequate. Do you have a link to this?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  12. #12  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    839 Posts

    Default Re: AWS(1700 /2100 MHz) vs 700 MHz LTE speed comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    To me, it doesn't make sense to deploy aws in rural areas. 700 MHz LTE is more than adequate. Do you have a link to this?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    They have advertised it, and it's slowly rolling out. I will try and find a link.
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

Similar Threads

  1. Sense 6.0 vs Touchwiz
    By Paul627g in forum Phone Wars
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2014, 09:43 PM
  2. CNet Prizefight: S5 Vs. M8
    By PsychDoc in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 06:06 AM
  3. Turn off 4G LTE on New Droid Maxx?
    By CRitter in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2014, 02:51 AM
  4. unlocked vs developer edition
    By jackoceanz in forum HTC One (M8)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 11:15 PM

Posting Permissions