Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By VDub2174
  • 1 Post By Ry
  • 3 Post By dpham00
  • 1 Post By Pugs1957
  • 2 Post By Ry
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can Verizon phones be used with foreign CDMA/GSM mobile providers?

I'm leaving the country for a year, but am eligible for an upgrade; I'd prefer to use a new phone abroad, since my current one isn't very reliable (SIM card issues, known fault with the model). The country I'm traveling to has mobile providers for both CDMA and GSM; when my mom visited with her Note 2 (a "global ready" phone), she said her phone didn't work because it was from Verizon. I was under the impression that 'global ready' meant a phone could potentially be used anywhere, on any network?

Is it possible her phone didn't work because the foreign provider arbitrarily wouldn't accept a foreign phone--or is it something on Verizon's end? E.g., making Verizon phones proprietary and non-functional outside of Verizon? Does it make a difference whether I choose a GSM or CDMA network? E.g., maybe Verizon's CDMA is proprietary, but the GSM might work fine on the phone? Thanks!

Default Re: Can Verizon phones be used with foreign CDMA/GSM mobile providers?

Did she have her phone unlocked by VZW? It's my understanding that they need to be unlocked before using them abroad.

I had a Sprint world phone a while back and had to call to get it unlocked.
    jrwatson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    I'm leaving the country for a year, but am eligible for an upgrade; I'd prefer to use a new phone abroad, since my current one isn't very reliable (SIM card issues, known fault with the model). The country I'm traveling to has mobile providers for both CDMA and GSM; when my mom visited with her Note 2 (a "global ready" phone), she said her phone didn't work because it was from Verizon. I was under the impression that 'global ready' meant a phone could potentially be used anywhere, on any network?

Is it possible her phone didn't work because the foreign provider arbitrarily wouldn't accept a foreign phone--or is it something on Verizon's end? E.g., making Verizon phones proprietary and non-functional outside of Verizon? Does it make a difference whether I choose a GSM or CDMA network? E.g., maybe Verizon's CDMA is proprietary, but the GSM might work fine on the phone? Thanks!
    They should be able to work with GSM providers overseas with local SIMs.

For overseas CDMA providers, I think there needs to be a roaming agreement with Verizon (and this would be the expensive route).
    jrwatson likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    Did she have her phone unlocked by VZW? It's my understanding that they need to be unlocked before using them abroad.

I see, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    They should be able to work with GSM providers overseas with local SIMs.

For overseas CDMA providers, I think there needs to be a roaming agreement with Verizon (and this would be the expensive route).
    Got it--so as long as I stick to a GSM provider, I should be fine? Are SIM cards pretty easy to modify, in case the foreign network doesn't use nano-SIMs?

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post

The Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II is factory sim unlocked. With the latest update, the apn is unlocked too. It is a quad band gsm so it. Should work anywhere where gsm is deployed.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Ry, VDub2174 and jrwatson like this.

This being the second part of 2016, how compatible are current Verizon phones with GSM networks overseas? I haven't followed this issue in the last several years, but back then it used to be a huge headache to get Verizon to unlock one's phone and make it compatible. I remember that one had to pay exorbitant Verizon charges. These forums had tons of pages devoted to this issue. What's happening now?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_y7 View Post
    This being the second part of 2016, how compatible are current Verizon phones with GSM networks overseas? I haven't followed this issue in the last several years, but back then it used to be a huge headache to get Verizon to unlock one's phone and make it compatible. I remember that one had to pay exorbitant Verizon charges. These forums had tons of pages devoted to this issue. What's happening now?
    Current Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Current Verizon LTE phones are SIM unlocked.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    While this is true, their international compatibility varies depending on device. The iPhone 6s is pretty universal but others might have limited service

Do you think Verizon can actually provide accurate info on this? I'm particularly interested in the Notes line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugs1957 View Post
    Not sure if it matters, but it doesn't differentiate if one's phone is CDMA or GSM.

Not sure if it matters, but it doesn't differentiate if one's phone is CDMA or GSM.
    The model number of the phone determines whether the device is cdma or gsm
    Simon_y7 likes this.

It actually does - via the Sub Model drop-down.

Example: Pick the Samsung, then Galaxy S7, then SM-G930V (Verizon), then the country you're visiting then the network you'd be using it on (or just select ALL for all carriers in that country).
    Pugs1957 and Simon_y7 like this.