Do I need to remove the SIM card before I sell my phone?

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I am going to sell a Droid Razr Maxx. My new phone came with a SIM card and I am using that one now. Will it hurt anything to leave the one in the Razr before I sell it? Will someone else be able to use it or would they need to get a new one anyways?

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Always, take your Sim out before you sell any phone.
The Sim card is for the 4G, but I also think, that it is what links the phone to you and your account.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
SIM = Subscriber Information Module Yes remove your SIM I would never let a SIM go to new owner of my old phone and I always make sure I do a factory reset on my phone and if you let an sd card go be sure you reformat the sd card.

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
SIM = Subscriber Information Module Yes remove your SIM I would never let a SIM go to new owner of my old phone and I always make sure I do a factory reset on my phone and if you let an sd card go be sure you reformat the sd card.

Most definitely! Also my SIM cards always stay w/me.

Deb from my Note 3

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Always, take your Sim out before you sell any phone.
The Sim card is for the 4G, but I also think, that it is what links the phone to you and your account.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

You've been given good advice, and I don't really disagree with it, but my perspective and situation are a little different.

I've had two separate incidents where I've done assumption of liabilities and taken over the number, contract, and phone. It was nice for me when the previous owners included the original sim because it already had the correct phone number programed and saved me the step of having to replace it with a new sim.

Verizon sims, IIRC, don't store any personal information, like an SD Card would and are designed to be reprogrammed.

With my most recent assumption of liability, I got an Iphone 5C that I gave to a relative as a gift. They were able to easily get the sim to reprogram and recognize their existing VZW number.

Also, I'm curious to know if most Apple users typically change their sim when they upgrade to a new Iphone or sell their old one. Every Verizon Iphone I've seen always has the MEID # and ICCID (Sim) card number printed by the bar code on the original box. You also need a special tool (or a paperclip...lol) to remove the sim.

Obviously, if you have a minimal amount of understanding, removing it is no issue, but I've known a few Iphone 5x users that didn't even know their phone had an SD Card or why their phone had a little hole in the sim card tray.

I'd be curious to know if Iphones purchased from At&T or Apple already have a preinstalled sim. With Samsung's Note 3, the sim tray was not spring loaded and they have made it more difficult to remove it. However, I don't know if the Galaxy s5 is designed the same way or if other manufacturers will follow suit.

Verizon sims are free from Verizon, but I'll usually just pony up a few bucks and by them online to avoid going to the store and risking that something may get changed or that I'll be hassled.

Obviously, most people that sell a phone are going to be keeping their phone # and it'll be easier for you to just put the old sim in your new phone.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You've been given good advice, and I don't really disagree with it, but my perspective and situation are a little different.

I've had two separate incidents where I've done assumption of liabilities and taken over the number, contract, and phone. It was nice for me when the previous owners included the original sim because it already had the correct phone number programed and saved me the step of having to replace it with a new sim.

Verizon sims, IIRC, don't store any personal information, like an SD Card would and are designed to be reprogrammed.

With my most recent assumption of liability, I got an Iphone 5C that I gave to a relative as a gift. They were able to easily get the sim to reprogram and recognize their existing VZW number.

Also, I'm curious to know if most Apple users typically change their sim when they upgrade to a new Iphone or sell their old one. Every Verizon Iphone I've seen always has the MEID # and ICCID (Sim) card number printed by the bar code on the original box. You also need a special tool (or a paperclip...lol) to remove the sim.

Obviously, if you have a minimal amount of understanding, removing it is no issue, but I've known a few Iphone 5x users that didn't even know their phone had an SD Card or why their phone had a little hole in the sim card tray.

I'd be curious to know if Iphones purchased from At&T or Apple already have a preinstalled sim. With Samsung's Note 3, the sim tray was not spring loaded and they have made it more difficult to remove it. However, I don't know if the Galaxy s5 is designed the same way or if other manufacturers will follow suit.

Verizon sims are free from Verizon, but I'll usually just pony up a few bucks and by them online to avoid going to the store and risking that something may get changed or that I'll be hassled.

Obviously, most people that sell a phone are going to be keeping their phone # and it'll be easier for you to just put the old sim in your new phone.

Assumption of liability of a phone is very different that outright selling a phone IMHO.
You are correct in going to a VZW store and getting hassled, the less you frequent a VZW store the better off you are in my opinion. I have learned to buy my phones somewhere else like an individual or EBAY or Swappa.com and I take care of most of the stuff I can at my account online with VZW. Sorry don't know anything about apple products or any other carrier than VZW. I have never owned an apple product and never plan on owning an apple product.

Gerald Brown3

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
For Sprint phones, they have an ICC SIM. It's what allows the phone to access Sprint's 4G network and isn't a storage medium for personal data. So let's say I'm buying a phone from you and upgrading from a 3g Sprint phone. Without the ICC SIM, I get a phone that doesn't work to its capabilities (and may not activate at all as I am currently experiencing) and I'm going to want to return the phone or make a claim to EBay (as I am right now in the process of doing).

Overall, if you do sell a Sprint phone and pocket the ICC SIM, then you need to disclose that clearly so the buyer can do the research to figure out how they will get one for themselves. I've seen a few on Amazon. Perhaps the better path, though, is to just provide the ICC SIM unless you have a reason (other than superstition) for keeping it.

wbknudsen

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking at selling a Sprint phone. I would remove the sim card and tell the person so and that they would need to contact Sprint and get the appropriate card. I'm sure Sprint would be more than happy to send them one.

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
yes its wise to do so because the sim is tied to your account. Only if its active. but remove it anyways if it is inactive

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2