Is green tint still a problem?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I work on the road, so it's hard for me to get into a store (Verizon or otherwise) to examine the current lineup of phones. I'm up for renewal, and probably my one biggest concern is the color quality of the screens out now. I currently have a Droid Bionic, which was a replacement for a Droid Razr with a horrible green tint. I know it has to do with the design of the SAMOLED display and the Bionic had a more traditional LCD that could do true white. Fast forward a couple years and I'm wondering if this is still a technology in use and if any manufactures have fixed the color problems, or just went with a different design all together. I've looked at the S3 and other phones in the past using the same type of display, and they have that same annoying tint.

It may sound nitpicky, but I use my phone a lot in low light situations, and dimming the phone made the tint so bad that it was simply unbearable even though it wasn't "defective." I can even still notice it slightly on full brightness with a white screen or image. Other specs aside, I would think that producing a color accurate screen would be simple enough to do for any phone manufacturer and is almost something I'd be willing to jump the Android ship over. For now, though, I'd just keep my Bionic if I had to.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I work on the road, so it's hard for me to get into a store (Verizon or otherwise) to examine the current lineup of phones. I'm up for renewal, and probably my one biggest concern is the color quality of the screens out now. I currently have a Droid Bionic, which was a replacement for a Droid Razr with a horrible green tint. I know it has to do with the design of the SAMOELD display and the Bionic had a more traditional LCD that could do true white. Fast forward a couple years and I'm wondering if this is still a technology in use and if any manufactures have fixed the color problems, or just went with a different design all together. I've looked at the S3 and other phones in the past using the same type of display, and they have that same annoying tint.

It may sound nitpicky, but I use my phone a lot in low light situations, and dimming the phone made the tint so bad that it was simply unbearable even though it wasn't "defective." I can even still notice it slightly on full brightness with a white screen or image. Other specs aside, I would think that producing a color accurate screen would be simple enough to do for any phone manufacturer and is almost something I'd be willing to jump to the Android ship over. For now, though, I'd just keep my Bionic if I had to.

I stopped looking at the Galaxy line, but my S3 had a bluish tint to everything. The Moto X (great device) had a yellowish off white, but much better than the S3. The M8 has white that is very close to true white.

If you are looking for something inexpensive, go with the X.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the M8 online, but not a fan of the lack of removable battery.

I guess wanting true colors, expandable/removable storage, and replaceable/upgradable batteries is asking too much of phones. That's the trends I've been seeing for a while now. :p

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was looking at the M8 online, but not a fan of the lack of removable battery.

I guess wanting true colors, expandable/removable storage, and replaceable/upgradable batteries is asking too much of phones. That's the trends I've been seeing for a while now. :p

I can easily go 13+ hours on 70% of my battery (I prefer recharging at 30% remaining). The M8 can accept an SD card.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The battery part was more because it seems rare one will last the life of the phone, much less the contract length. I don't like the idea of sending them in just to replace a battery, especially with my job.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The battery part was more because it seems rare one will last the life of the phone, much less the contract length. I don't like the idea of sending them in just to replace a battery, especially with my job.

Of all my devices, I have only had one go bad on me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah. It's happened on 3 of the 4 phones I've owned before the contract was up (one being an internal defect that made the phone dangerous to use), and I usually go longer than that before upgrading. It's not a straight up deal breaker like the screen issue, but would depend on how easy it is to "break in to" to replace the non-replaceable battery.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ah. It's happened on 3 of the 4 phones I've owned before the contract was up (one being an internal defect that made the phone dangerous to use), and I usually go longer than that before upgrading. It's not a straight up deal breaker like the screen issue, but would depend on how easy it is to "break in to" to replace the non-replaceable battery.

iFixit has some good teardown videos on YouTube.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm gonna go poke around to see what others are saying about it, both good and bad. Especially regarding root. As I like to say, every Verizon update is better than the next. :D I'd like to fix it so they can't shove OTA updates/downgrade down my throat if I don't want them.

Now to go beat their web servers into submission until their site works...

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm gonna go poke around to see what others are saying about it, both good and bad. Especially regarding root. As I like to say, every Verizon update is better than the next. :D I'd like to fix it so they can't shove OTA updates/downgrade down my throat if I don't want them.

Now to go beat their web servers into submission until their site works...

I did have a slight purple tint on my Droid Maxx, but it wasn't as bad as the color banding on the Galaxy Nexus.

The S5 should provide good color accuracy once it's in Cinema Mode, as well as giving you good battery longevity with the battery replacement flexibility. The M8 would trade the removable battery for root access... at least, for right now.

I don't know how many/which reviews you have looked at, but Anandtech seemed to be fairly impressed with the S5's color accuracy, given that it's AMOLED.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading the same things about the S5 cinema mode. I'm going to look at it, but root would be an issue like you said. Without tripping the Knox flags that is.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading the same things about the S5 cinema mode. I'm going to look at it, but root would be an issue like you said. Without tripping the Knox flags that is.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy how locked down Samsung is making their stuff now, but I guess it's to be expected, given their enterprise goals. Maybe you could grab the Developer Edition of it? I know it's pricey, but I guess if you had an upgrade you could try to upgrade to a consumer edition and then sell it right away to help fund the Dev Edition...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress