If Verizon removed all Unlimited Data plans immediately, what would you do?

What would you do?

• Total voters

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I hope you aren't in a Comcast 300GB market, it's the sole reason I didn't sell my UL plan. Can't believe I am allowed to use more data on my cell phone than my home Internet connection.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm in a 250 GB market.. The cap has been suspended for as long as I can remember (I'm talking 10 years or more). I had it (comcast) when I was 16 at the parents... Cap suspended. I'm 26 with my own house now.. Cap still suspended.

Sent from my Verizon HTC One M8 using AC Forums.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm in a 250 GB market.. The cap has been suspended for as long as I can remember (I'm talking 10 years or more). I had it (comcast) when I was 16 at the parents... Cap suspended. I'm 26 with my own house now.. Cap still suspended.

Same here. Cap suspended with download speeds at 105 (average I receive is 125 Mbps) and uploads of 25 Mbps. My speeds as usual with Comcast are above the promised numbers.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
It's working out not to bad so far.

- Cached all my Google music so haven't Streamed when listening at work.

- got a thing to download YouTube videos so I can watch my game tournaments at work by downloading them at home the night before

- wifi at work... It wasn't good enough for streaming but it's fine for Forums, websites, etc. Just not streaming but I've solved that by simply downloading the night before.

I figure I pay Comcast for cable Internet.. Mine as well use it :D.

Good to hear how many days have you been with Verizon?
10GB plan right?
How's the M8? I am thinking about getting either the m8 prime(if it comes out) or the Xperia z3 later this year.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Good to hear how many days have you been with Verizon?
10GB plan right?
How's the M8? I am thinking about getting either the m8 prime(if it comes out) or the Xperia z3 later this year.

10GB yes. The M8 is pretty nice not going to lie. My worry is the speakerphone in the S5. The girlfriend has had issues so we exchanged it and are testing this one... From my Google searches I have seen mainly Verizon people complaining about it...

Sadly if this one is messed up we will have to leave and either go back to T-Mobile or go to AT&T.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We haven't used much data. Most of it has been me doing speed tests lol... Otherwise it would be nothing pretty much.

Attachments

• 1401678244657.jpg
    1401678244657.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 42

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
We haven't used much data. Most of it has been me doing speed tests lol... Otherwise it would be nothing pretty much.

You've used over 1GB in Less than a week.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You've used over 1GB in Less than a week.

Yeah but that's me doing speed tests everywhere just to test the network out of curiosity... Which isn't going to be normal usage. That's me testing during my 14 days.

Also 1 GB a week wouldn't hit the cap in a month anyway :).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How is the speeds in FL?

Not to bad. Some tests are below.

The girlfriend has been having mad issues with her S5 though... We've exchanged it and everything... It's got a horrible speaker phone for both sides of the call. Honestly I have to say I'm surprised the call quality is bad.. At least in my experience so far.. So we may be switching back soon. She relies on speakerphone a lot.

Attachments

• 1401773515858.jpg
    1401773515858.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 1401773525077.jpg
    1401773525077.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 34

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I used to think losing unlimited data was unacceptable but I let it go and got an S5. I was offered a Loyalty Plan for $60 a month that includes unlimited minutes and text + 2GB of data. Each additional GB is $10 so its not a bad deal for someone who isn't a data abuser.

I feel the same way. I didn't really want to give up unlimited, but I have so much access to WiFi and I wanted to save money, so I went with the Loyalty plan. Not once have I gone over my 2GB allotment, and my bill is only around $80/month.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
As much as I would hate to lose my unlimited, Verizon is still the best coverage and speed for me. Not to mention pricing isn't terrible with a 26% discount.

ardidito

May 17, 2014
Visit site
For the limited data options and especially for multiple lines, Verizon is competitive, and in some instances cheaper. Now, you do get unlimited 2g on the limited data lines, so that is something to consider, but if you just want to use high speed data but not too much then Verizon can be an option even for those who want a low price.
Also data is shared, which can be good or bad, depending on your needs.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Yup, it took a family plan to get me to accept Verizon's pricing structure.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
How is the speeds in FL?

Well we switched back. Girlfriend just wanted to go back to what she's used to. Ain't to bad for me.. Back to wifi calling at home and unlimited data everywhere else.

T-Mobile actually made it very painless to switch back... 20 minutes in store they ported us back.. Put me under her line (family plan) since her discount was okay (shocked me since mine was gone).. No activation fees or anything.. Free new SIM cards... And we lowered her to 3GB since she's never used more than 2.5 GB ever... Not bad at all.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of amusing to me that the biggest response is people would go to another carrier. AT&T doesn't offer unlimited, Sprint has gone away from it, and only T-Mobile offers it still. But T-Mobiles future is up in the air because it looks as if they are going to be bought out by Sprint, so who knows what will happen after that. People need to realize that eventually no one will offer unlimited. Unlimited made sense when smartphones were not mainstream, so it didn't burden networks as much. Now with networks like Verizon and AT&T with the large volume of users it's not even possible to give everyone unlimited. Sprint and T-Mobile can still somewhat handle it because of the lower subscriber base. People also need to realize that these networks are not built like DSL/Cable data networks, they are not meant to be used as a main source of internet. Just like a wireless network (regular wifi), the more devices on it (especially doing high end data usage), the slower it becomes as the bandwidth gets sucked up. Now if I had had unlimited, ya I would be trying to keep it as well, and would have. However, I also understand the metrics and the infrastructure of a data system that runs off a wireless signal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It's kind of amusing to me that the biggest response is people would go to another carrier. AT&T doesn't offer unlimited, Sprint has gone away from it, and only T-Mobile offers it still.

Uh... That's not correct. Sprint still offers unlimited data..

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Don't think I said they don't still offer it, I said they are starting to go away from it.

Edit: Sorry to clearify is there are rumors they are going to start going away from it. It hasn't happened yet, but it's on the rumor mill.

Edit 2: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...Id=plnTab6620001&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=null

There is an example. 1 GB per person. They have begun to do so.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't think I said they don't still offer it, I said they are starting to go away from it.

Edit: Sorry to clearify is there are rumors they are going to start going away from it. It hasn't happened yet, but it's on the rumor mill.

Edit 2: http://shop.sprint.com/mysprint/sho...Id=plnTab6620001&flow=AAL&planFamilyType=null

There is an example. 1 GB per person. They have begun to do so.

T-Mobile does the same. They do it so they can offer lower prices since not everyone needs the unlimited. An example is my gf.. She uses 1.5-1.8 GB on average.. The most she ever used was 2.5 GB one month.. So I got her on a 3 GB plan.

Same with the framily.. They offer 1 GB of data with the package to keep it cheap.. The ones who want unlimited will have to accept the price hike. My parents love it.. They average like 150 MB combined lol so that 1 GB works for them... They don't need to pay for the unlimited data plan.

bunky1971

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Why are we even considering giving VZW the idea to remove our UDP? [=

Do you guys remember a short four or five years ago, if you wanted the OG DROID/ BlackBerry you HAD HAD HAD to buy a data plan. Well, now I HAVE HAVE HAVE to keep it.
And with XLTE doing this crazy speed, I think they'd have to shut off my line before I gave it up.

Posted via Android Central App

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Why are we even considering giving VZW the idea to remove our UDP? [=

Do you guys remember a short four or five years ago, if you wanted the OG DROID/ BlackBerry you HAD HAD HAD to buy a data plan. Well, now I HAVE HAVE HAVE to keep it.
And with XLTE doing this crazy speed, I think they'd have to shut off my line before I gave it up.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't blame you, I have never had unlimited data, nor would I have a use for it honestly because I almost always have access to wifi. But if I did have it, I would never give it up.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sprint does offer unlimited data, but you can be throttled.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3