International calling

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Looking into taking a family vacation to Italy this summer. I have a family plan with 5 phones on it. I was curious what the best way was to get service while on vacation. I would like to have all phone but I need at least 2 of them to be active. Some people have said to purchase a phone over there (cheaper) but others say to just add international on your plan.

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Depending on the phone,it could be gsm capable. If so, just buy a local sim when you get there. What phones do you have?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Note 2, Droid Maxx, iPhone5 and iPhone 4s...all on Verizon.

Depending on the phone,it could be gsm capable. If so, just buy a local sim when you get there. What phones do you have?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Make sure that you take the latest updates on all phones. The Note 2, maxx, and 5 are unlocked. You can call Verizon to get the 4s unlocked for international use m

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. It that the best way. Some suggested purchased a prepaid phone for the month over there (with internet and texting). Not sure which carriers would be compatible w/VZW in Italy.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Many prepaid phones are locked to the carrier for a certain period of time. You can buy an unlocked phone though. Up to you. Since all the devices you, mentioned are gsm capable, you can use them on any gsm network. You should get a prepaid sim as Verizon international plan is expensive

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
So when you say unlocked, I can simply purchase a SIM and just pop it in from a GSM provider over there and the phone will work? Sorry about the questions but I never looked into this and don't travel often.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct. For data, you would need to edit the apn settings

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Another question, for changing the APN settings would an app be able to do that or would I have to do that with a computer. I was hoping to get off the plane, buy a SIM card and get the phone up and working.

Thanks so much for the help !

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Another question, for changing the APN settings would an app be able to do that or would I have to do that with a computer. I was hoping to get off the plane, buy a SIM card and get the phone up and working.

Thanks so much for the help !

It varies depending on the phone, but on my note 3, it is in

Settings - more - settings - Mobile networks - apn.

No computer is needed. Pop in the local sim then go to the settings to make the change

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dman2275

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Awesome !! I am sure the Maxx is the same. I will look at some iPhone sites for info on the iPhones.

Thanks so much for the info !!