Verizon Device Swap Question - Father's Day Present

dollerprod

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Semi-newb with super basic question just don't want to purchase wrong device...

TL;DR Is there any real limitation to using the LG Revolution over the S3 for someone who just wants to surf, share pics, eBay, etc.?

Hi, want to bring my dad into the current decade and upgrade his Verizon phone for him to a smartphone (not eligible for upgrade, just want to buy one and device swap).

Anyway, the mandatory things are 4G capable, and a way to have text reflow when browsing the web as he can't read small font (for android you can get text reflow with Opera browser).

Please suggest a phone! I have the S3, but it's still expensive ($180+ used). What about the LG Revolution VS910 ? It's like $50.

The main question I have is- does it make a difference that the Revolution runs an old Android OS version (2.2 I think)? As I understand it, it takes a lot of effort (and $) to update devices to run the current version of Android, and that's why not all phones run the current version. So would there be any real limitations for him running an older version of the OS?

What would he be missing having the Revolution instead of the S3? He wants to be able to surf the web, take and share pics, eBay and whatnot. If they are both essentially the same for him, then might as well save a few$.. Any other phones you could think of?

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The big issue with a device that old is that many apps will refuse to run. The newest version of Opera requires Android 4.0 or newer. This is due to some major architecture changes that were made in 4.0, and the Google Play Services updates should resolve that moving forward.

The Moto G would be my immediate recommendation for a cheap but capable Android phone, but Verizon unfortunately only offers that for their prepaid customers (no LTE) and not their postpaid customers. You could look for a used Moto X as an alternative.

How long is left until he is eligible for an upgrade? If he is currently using a dumbphone and doesn't have a data plan Verizon may offer you an early upgrade so that you get on that data plan quicker.

dollerprod

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
The big issue with a device that old is that many apps will refuse to run. The newest version of Opera requires Android 4.0 or newer. This is due to some major architecture changes that were made in 4.0, and the Google Play Services updates should resolve that moving forward.

The Moto G would be my immediate recommendation for a cheap but capable Android phone, but Verizon unfortunately only offers that for their prepaid customers (no LTE) and not their postpaid customers. You could look for a used Moto X as an alternative.

How long is left until he is eligible for an upgrade? If he is currently using a dumbphone and doesn't have a data plan Verizon may offer you an early upgrade so that you get on that data plan quicker.

See, that's what I was worried about and why I came here- For example, if Opera (which reflows text and that's a must) needs a recent version of Android's OS, then that wouldn't work.

His plan is weird. He has two other lines, both on the same plan... but the one he uses is on it's own plan with his dumbphone. It's something $50-60/mo and unlimited min/text/data... Not sure if that's what you mean by "postpaid customers" (so maybe Moto G would work?), but he'll never be eligible for an upgrade from what I understand.. but he doesn't want to let that plan go.

Ahhh this is too confusing for what it is :confused: If the LG Revolution won't run a browser that reflows text, or if it's just too slow and old, I need to look at different ones. I check into your suggested phones. Maybe I'll just buy a S3 off eBay and spend the extra $120..

Thanks!!

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it sounds like the Verizon prepaid would be perfect for him. Right now, Best Buy is selling the Moto G for $49 and verizon's Allset Prepaid is $45/month for unlimited Calls/Text and 500 MB of 3G data. I would say turn off mobile data and just let the phone operate on WiFi so he doesn't go over his data limit. He would still be with Verizon and the Moto G is a great starter phone for someone moving up from a feature phone. One BIG downside is the limited memory (8 GB with only about 5 GB available after formatting/OS).

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
See, that's what I was worried about and why I came here- For example, if Opera (which reflows text and that's a must) needs a recent version of Android's OS, then that wouldn't work.

His plan is weird. He has two other lines, both on the same plan... but the one he uses is on it's own plan with his dumbphone. It's something $50-60/mo and unlimited min/text/data... Not sure if that's what you mean by "postpaid customers" (so maybe Moto G would work?), but he'll never be eligible for an upgrade from what I understand.. but he doesn't want to let that plan go.

Ah, it's probably because he has unlimited data "grandfathered" in. If you use an upgrade you lose the unlimited data plan because they make you take one of their new plans. Now, I am not sure if Verizon will let him keep the unlimited data even if he buys a phone outright since I believe their smartphone and dumbphone data plans are separate. You should probably check on that before buying anything.

If he's only a basic user though (no video/audio streaming) he'll probably be better served by a different plan. What plan are his other two lines on? He may be able to add his new smartphone and share a "pool" of data in a More Everything plan and end up saving money. I know it's tough to give up unlimited data, but if you're not actually using it it doesn't make sense to keep paying for it.

He also may save money with another carrier. Cricket now offers AT&T's network with 500MB high speed data and unlimited throttled data for $45 per month. And you could even get the Moto G 16GB on Cricket to have a bit more storage.

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I suggest "splurge" for Pops (us men always get the short end of the stick when it comes to Fathers day gifts) and get him a NOTE3......SMILE

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Moto g will blow the revolution away. Way better phone. But prepaid only, for the first 6 months

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

dollerprod

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone! Cool community :)

Turns out I found a Galaxy S4 on craigslist for $200! As long as that doesn't turn out to be a bust. If it does, am I reading right that the Moto G is ONLY for pre-paid plans?

Btw What do I need to do to make sure I don't get $crewed with the craigslist deal, just call up Verizon right there on the spot and have them run the IMEI (*#06#)? Also what about the droid razr maxx?

Last edited:

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Turns out I found a Galaxy S4 on craigslist for $200! As long as that doesn't turn out to be a bust. If it does, am I reading right that the Moto G is ONLY for pre-paid plans?

Be careful on craigslist a lot of phones have been blacklisted by the carrier and will be just a paperweight!

SENT VIA MY LG G-FLEX ON SPRINT, POSTED BY ANDROID CENTRALS APP....LIFE IS GOOD✌

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Btw What do I need to do to make sure I don't get $crewed with the craigslist deal, just call up Verizon right there on the spot and have them run the IMEI (*#06#)? Also what about the droid razr maxx?

There have been some that have been able to get the Moto G working on postpaid without having it on prepaid first but it's sort of hit or miss.

Last edited:

crump13

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Hey, I am getting my new GS5 this week and I have a very well kept always in a case GS3 that I would be willing to sell once I get my GS5 in and set up. When are you looking to get the phone for you dad? Let me know if you are interested.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
There have been some that have been able to get the Moto G working on postpaid without having it on prepaid first but it's sort of hit or miss.

Yeah, I tried everything and no go on my account. Multiple lines, online and over the phone. Denied every time. I know some people like you have had luck.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

dollerprod

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess nevermind...

I called Verizon to try and hook up a S3 to the line, but they said I would have to purchase another plan because they could not hookup a smartphone to the plan.... So, what was the point of having unlimited data if you can't have a phone that uses data (to a useful extent)?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess nevermind...

I called Verizon to try and hook up a S3 to the line, but they said I would have to purchase another plan because they could not hookup a smartphone to the plan.... So, what was the point of having unlimited data if you can't have a phone that uses data (to a useful extent)?

Dumbphone data plans aren't the same as smartphone data plans.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37