Verizon Edge now requires at least 60% of device paid off to upgrade, payments spread over 20 months

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like Verizon is making edge worse by changing edge to 20 months and requiring 60% of the device to be paid before upgrading.

Cell Phones, Smartphones & the Largest 4G LTE Network - Verizon Wireless

depysegu.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Moto G

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Wow! So, really what is the advantages of the edge program now. To me, it seams worse now than before. I thought, one of the benefits of having edge was to have an earlier upgrade? I just love, how Verizon likes to screw its customers. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, if you go with the default Edge pricing (meaning not putting anything down at signing), you still hit the 60% mark in 12 months on the 20 month schedule. I get that the dollar amount is going to be higher, but I'm not that surprised after thinking about it for a bit. The program is relatively new and with how fast phones advance, the resale value may be going down quicker and they need to recoup their costs.

I don't plan to trade early, but I've considered Edge when upgrading. Since this change just happened, I'm going to set if I can still get the 24mo pricing. Wouldn't matter much either way because the total 2 year cost is still the same.

My biggest gripe about edge is when they have a sale, the rebates and discounts don't apply. They only apply to standard contracts.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
How convenient. Just in time for all those first to sign on EDGE customers are reaching the 12 month/half price mark. Now you can trade your phone in but must agree to the new terms for the new phone.

This stinks of a colossal scam. The old EDGE plan had me forking over ~325 for my phone over 12 months (instead of $299 outright). I would then be allowed to upgrade and do the same, it made sense since I have no use for my old phone and no time to sell it personally.

This new plan will force me to pay ~$390 for the same situation. You suck Verizon

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
How convenient. Just in time for all those first to sign on EDGE customers are reaching the 12 month/half price mark. Now you can trade your phone in but must agree to the new terms for the new phone.

This stinks of a colossal scam. The old EDGE plan had me forking over ~325 for my phone over 12 months (instead of $299 outright). I would then be allowed to upgrade and do the same, it made sense since I have no use for my old phone and no time to sell it personally.

This new plan will force me to pay ~$390 for the same situation. You suck Verizon

Why would you ever go on edge and pay $325 when you could have just bought it outright for $299?

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Why would you ever go on edge and pay $325 when you could have just bought it outright for $299?

It's for the people that want to upgrade yearly, but your at Verizon mercy on it, there is no contract to your plan your on.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
They technically could for grandfathered unlimited plans as well.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

They could but they don't. I think you can do a payment thing on the unlimited, but you have to pay the full price, not 60% like edge, but then you own the phone and don't have to turn it in to upgrade early

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site

I wanted to be able to upgrade annually and not have to sell my device on my own to recoup my losses.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to se this change guys. Do what I do and just buy the device out right. Sadly its what I would have to do if I was on Verizon's network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They could but they don't. I think you can do a payment thing on the unlimited, but you have to pay the full price, not 60% like edge, but then you own the phone and don't have to turn it in to upgrade early

Well yeah you couldn't do a payment plan you'd just buy full price. Only way they let you keep unlimited for now.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
when android get started in more devices, I hope the marketing department will do a better marketing them... iphone is successful largely due to marketing and the big apple brand.

I don't remember them doing this at all... At least I never heard of it. I could see maybe a store doing a payment plan with you for your phone.. But not Verizon.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't remember them doing this at all... At least I never heard of it. I could see maybe a store doing a payment plan with you for your phone.. But not Verizon.

The device payment plan isn't advertised, but Verizon does offer it. Because the device payment plan has a finance charge, edge makes more sense.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...and-plans/device-payment-plan/&token=qsGDwe24

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I missed this thread and posted my own. I think it may answer some of the questions people have too.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/398014-verizon-edge-program-changes.html

People are never going to be happy with Verizon no matter what they do. I pay full retail for my phones, resell them when I want a new one and use upgrades when I can. People are forgetting you do get credits on the new More Everything plan, $10 and $25 depending on the data plan you are on. I know they are technically service credits, but if you look at it as being applied to the payment instead it does make a lot of phones cheaper, even over 20 months, especially after 1 year (60%) mark, but it really only makes sense if you are getting the $25 dollar credit. It all depends on how you look at it really.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae