Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Droid3r
  • 1 Post By Mooncatt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Question I want to KILL Verizon Backup Assistant Plus

Hey guys, I just got a new Note 3 and am having and issue.

I get bloat ware will be an issue unless I root but this Verizon Backup Assistant is too much! Is there anyway to get rid of it? I don't even see it listed as an app yet it's always listed under "Accounts" leading me to believe it's not just there but running and synchronizing as well.

I did a search last night and found many posts of people annoyed with this and some solutions but none seem to work anymore, maybe because those solutions were old? I want as far as to go into My Verizon website and delete all my contacts then reset/wipe my phone and during the Wizard unchecked to backup contacts; yet even all that didn't work. "Backup Assistant Plus" still there under services .... Please help.

Global Posts
    30,970 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

Default Re: I want to KILL Verizon Backup Assistant Plus

The only thing I can think of is if you flashed a custom ROM. Either AOSP or a TouchWiz that was debloated.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

I've disabled it, along with Verizon's voicemail and NFL app. I haven't had it attempt a backup since.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nibs View Post
    I've disabled it, along with Verizon's voicemail and NFL app. I haven't had it attempt a backup since.
    but does it still show running under services?

I'm on a Droid Bionic so this may apply a little different to you. I do have the Backup Assistance app disabled via the manage apps > all tab, which moves it to the bottom of the list and marked as disabled. It also never shows up under running services. When I checked the accounts in the main settings, I do still see the backup assistant listed with my other account syncs like email. The difference is when I go into an active one like my email, the sync icon is green. When I go to the backup, the sync icon is grey. I'm assuming that means it's not doing anything and just lying here dormant.

I've never been prompted for anything or seen it try to backup since it was disabled (when I first got the phone). I'm thinking the account info only is listed in that screen so the OS knows what to sync, but still has to have access to the app itself to do so. Since the app is disabled, nothing happens and it's ignored.

So as long as you can find and disable the app, I would think you should be good to go.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I am not able to disable Backup Assistant as it doesn't show as an app anywhere. However I did find something Called Verizon Sync Service which shares the same icon. I disabled that, which makes me feel a little better, I would just feel much better if it wasn't listed under services, but I guess that's not going to happen... thanks for handicapping my mobile experience Verizon :/ ... Every new phone I get has more bloat and junk forced by Verizon, I swear it'll force me to leave them one day if it continues to get worse at this pace. Too bad their coverage is light years ahead of the competition in my area.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    I'm on a Droid Bionic
    Lord have mercy
    bunky1971 likes this.

On my old Razr Maxx on Verizon, I found that if I went to Settings>Apps>All and select Backup Assistant Plus, then Clear Data and Force Stop, it stopped opening in the background. Then don't open it again, or else it activates again. I also couldn't Disable it on the Razr Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid3r View Post
    Lord have mercy
    Lol, tell me about it Thanks to the House of Bionic stuff, my phone is working quite well and I'm happy to have a screen that can show true white.
    bunky1971 likes this.
    Android4life

Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts

The newer phones (M8, S5) don't even come with backup assistant on them, nor can you even get them (without rooting and work arounds), everything runs through Verizon Cloud now.