Are the 4G antenna's on the newer "world" phones now? Just inactive?

dan1668#AC

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "No verizon does not have disabled 4g antenna's in their newer world phones that could be activated by a carrier update".

I thought I might ask because the merge seems like a nice phone to one year contract on, but I'd assume that their isn't any possible way for 4g to work on those phones once the network comes out in jan.

Because I'd rather have a phone that has the option for since it would be kind of stupid to get a phone that doesn't support it right when they roll out a new network. I don't live near any major cities, but I know verizon is faster than most networks when it comes to them rolling out new technology *if it isn't a phone ;D*.

The only thing as of now is to wait until they release phones that have the ability to receive signals from the 700mhz band right? Basically with 1-2 year contract you'd notice that Moore's law doesn't wait for any one so your screwed until you want to get a phone at full price or wait it out.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
No, the current phones don't seem to have 4g just disabled. We'll have to wait for them to be released to be sure, but that kind of stuff is found in tear downs, and it would also show on FCC papers.

Not to mention, it's highly likely that 4g phones will require 4g plans even if you live in an area without 4g service initially. If you want/need a new phone soon, just sign a one year. You'll be eligible to upgrade before Christmas of next year, which means you'll have at least 2 waves of 4g devices (and 3g devices) to choose from.

If you can hold off a bit, AT CES in January Lowell McAdam will be unveiling 6+ 4g capable phones/tablets and giving release dates and pricing (if we don't know it before then) so you can get a first wave device.

The merge looks like a great phone. If I didn't have to pay retail for any replacement, I'd consider it (I still kinda am). But hopefully I can hold out until Jan. I'm just north of one of the launch markets, which means I might get LTE next year