Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Rhyalus's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Need a compact near-flagship!

    Hello All,

    I am in the USA and need a new phone for my wife to replace her Droid X...

    She does not want a large screen, so I am thinking 4.3 to 4.5". I want good specs on the phone as she will be using an upgrade and it will need to last her a while.

    iPhone is not an option as you can't do voice and data at the same time and she uses the navigation tools.

    I think the ideal phone would have been the Z1 compact but it never came to Verizon.

    Anyone have a recommendation? I am open to buying an unlocked phone that verizon will support, but I don't really want to spend 500 bucks.

    Thanks!
    R
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    What about the Droid mini?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Rhyalus's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    What about the Droid mini?

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    I think you are right and this is the best option on verizon now, but it is not a great one... No sd card, dubious battery life and a dual core CPU gives me some concern.

    Are there any rumors about smaller phones coming online over the next few months?

    R
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    None that I know of. For the size that you are looking for, the mini is the best choice.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Rhyalus likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    None that I know of. For the size that you are looking for, the mini is the best choice.

    dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Which is a real bummer because the Mini has already been showing some signs of sluggishness according to my friend. Its boy horrible yet but I don't anticipate it being a great experience for 2 years.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    Hello All,

    I am in the USA and need a new phone for my wife to replace her Droid X...

    She does not want a large screen, so I am thinking 4.3 to 4.5". I want good specs on the phone as she will be using an upgrade and it will need to last her a while.

    iPhone is not an option as you can't do voice and data at the same time and she uses the navigation tools.

    I think the ideal phone would have been the Z1 compact but it never came to Verizon.

    Anyone have a recommendation? I am open to buying an unlocked phone that verizon will support, but I don't really want to spend 500 bucks.

    Thanks!
    R
    Once Volte launches the iphone will be able to talk and surf.

    Posted via Android Central App
  7. #7  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Which is a real bummer because the Mini has already been showing some signs of sluggishness according to my friend. Its boy horrible yet but I don't anticipate it being a great experience for 2 years.

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    That's odd. I'd imagine the DROID MINI uses the same tricks the Moto X uses (F2FS) for storage to keep the device lag free. My Moto X that I've had since the end of September 2013 is showing no signs of slowing down like my previous devices did.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    That's odd. I'd imagine the DROID MINI uses the same tricks the Moto X uses (F2FS) for storage to keep the device lag free. My Moto X that I've had since the end of September 2013 is showing no signs of slowing down like my previous devices did.
    Its not a horrible slow down but its definitely slightly slower after the update. At this point the phone isn't a concern but the concern is will it hold for 2 years?

    Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
  9. #9  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    I think you are right and this is the best option on verizon now, but it is not a great one... No sd card, dubious battery life and a dual core CPU gives me some concern.
    No SD card? Welcome to the cloud.
    Dubious battery life? It's a smaller phone. It's going to have a smaller battery.
    Dual core CPU? ..yeah you haven't used a DROID MINI huh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    Are there any rumors about smaller phones coming online over the next few months?
    To Verizon? Probably the successor to the DROID MINI.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Rhyalus's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Profelec View Post
    Once Volte launches the iphone will be able to talk and surf.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Wow... For some reason this is the first time I have heard of volte.

    Quite a bit is unknown based on my google searches just now... Including which phones will support it.

    Also, on the verizon site, it said that the volte service was only available device to device. To me it is not clear that an iPhone could navigate with google maps and have the phone being used at the same time. Does anyone have good links with definitive information?

    Thanks,
    R
    Last edited by Rhyalus; 07-07-2014 at 05:05 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Rhyalus's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    No SD card? Welcome to the cloud.
    Dubious battery life? It's a smaller phone. It's going to have a smaller battery.
    Dual core CPU? ..yeah you haven't used a DROID MINI huh?



    To Verizon? Probably the successor to the DROID MINI.
    Ry the "cloud" does not take the place of a class 10 micro sd card... Video, and even simple music streams are not smooth over a spotty 4g worldwide coverage, not to mention limited data plans AND lack of offline ability (such as when people are flying,etc.).

    The Sony z1 compact has a 2300 mah battery with a 4.3 inch screen and it is only about .22 inches smaller in one or two dimensions.

    I have not used the droid mini, so it might be pretty good for its size, but I am sure it is not as fast as a quad core, right?

    I am not saying that the mini is a bad phone, but to invest in a two year commitment with Verizon on this one year old device may not be the best choice. One year is like seven years in phone age... :-)

    R
  12. #12  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    Ry the "cloud" does not take the place of a class 10 micro sd card... Video, and even simple music streams are not smooth over a spotty 4g worldwide coverage, not to mention limited data plans AND lack of offline ability (such as when people are flying,etc.).
    USB OTG can take care of those offline moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    The Sony z1 compact has a 2300 mah battery with a 4.3 inch screen and it is only about .22 inches smaller in one or two dimensions.
    DROID MINI is significantly smaller than the Z1 Compact. Check out the bezels. Visual Phone Size Comparison

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    I have not used the droid mini, so it might be pretty good for its size, but I am sure it is not as fast as a quad core, right?
    Stop getting hung up on specs.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Rhyalus's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Do you work on the Droid Mini development team or something?

    By the way, that size compare function on phone arena is pretty cool. I use that site for reviews but never saw this before.

    R
  14. #14  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    8,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

    Default Re: Need a compact near-flagship!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    Do you work on the Droid Mini development team or something?

    By the way, that size compare function on phone arena is pretty cool. I use that site for reviews but never saw this before.

    R
    Watch at 10:15 (note specs on a Moto X are the same as the DROID MINI):
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Similar Threads

  1. HTC One E8 (M8Sw) English Based Android OS needed
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM
  2. do i need to root my galaxy s5 for hotspots to work?
    By DLRDLR in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2014, 12:44 AM
  3. Need help in installing Hotspot mod on Sprint LG G2
    By KumarKush in forum LG G2 Rooting, ROMs, & Hacks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 11:25 PM
  4. NeeD HelP FoR MY GalaxY GranD !!!!
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions