Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eclipse2K
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

Default Caller ID service

Can someone explain to me why it will cost me 2.99 per month to get full caller ID information (name and number) while it is free on landlines?

Is this just a BS way for VZW to make a few extra million off of us?

R

Default Re: Caller ID service

Wireless carriers always charge extra. If I'm not mistaken the landline companies just give it to be nice... Since they want people to keep their landlines rather than going full mobile.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Depends on the carrier, but when I had Verizon land line, caller ID was not included. You had to either buy a it as part of a package or buy it individually.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

Just to be clear, the OP is talking about caller-id with name. Traditionally, wireless companies only sent the calling number, and the phone would add the name if the number was in its contact list. Landline companies traditionally bundled the name/number together in one caller-id service. From a phone network point of view, the caller-id number is included in the call setup information between the originating and destination switch, so it is essentially a freebie to pass it on to the customer. However, to get the name, the destination switch has to do a database lookup, and the originating company typically charges for this lookup. Wireless companies decided that, given the contact list in the phone, it wasn't worth paying for the name lookup, but now they offer it, for a price. There are smartphone apps that provide caller-id name, but they do this by querying a third-party database, which may or may not provide the same information as the phone company's internal database.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post
    Can someone explain to me why it will cost me 2.99 per month to get full caller ID information (name and number) while it is free on landlines?

R
    I guess it is lol.

Download the app Current Caller ID from the Play Store. Its created by White Pages and does exactly what the paid service does but for free. I've been using it for more than a year and its a great application.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Rhyalus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Just to be clear, the OP is talking about caller-id with name.
    Yes we know that .

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Also Verizon charges a fee for it on home connect as well.

Ooma offers name caller ID with the premium package, which is a $10 additional charge per month. Ooma core offers this free, but it has been discontinued for some years now.

I don't have att, but It looks like att doesn't include name caller ID in the base package either.

http://www.citizensutilityboard.org/...TRateHike.html

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyalus View Post

R
    I tried it for 3 days. Worst thing they try to cell you. 90% of anyone calling me that weren't in my contacts, it didn't work for

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Profelec View Post
    I tried it for 3 days. Worst thing they try to cell you. 90% of anyone calling me that weren't in my contacts, it didn't work for me
    Curious. I have the Verizon app, and it very rarely comes up with "no name" for non-contacts. Traditionally, not only did cell users not get caller name, but when they called a landline phone, the landline user didn't see their name either, since the cell company did not permit the database query to get the name info. With Verizon these days, you can set the name you want to show up for each line. There is no charge for this service.