Buying a phone from Motorola

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello All,

My wife has a UDP plan with Verizon and a REALLY old phone - she is suffering with the Droid X...

I am thinking that I want to buy a Moto G 4G phone direct from Motorola and then use this phone on Verizon. However, the phone does not have a sim card with it when you buy it, and the sim in the Droid X is not compatible (mini vs micro).

How will Verizon handle this? Will they sell me a sim card so we can register this phone on the account?

Thanks,
R

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that the 4GLTE moto g is compatible with Verizon. On Motorola's website, it only sells the gsm version so won't work on Verizon.

e7u3eqap.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You can get a SIM for free from a corporate store, or pay for one online. You could also cut your current SIM card.

You should look at the Moto X. They sell a version for Verizon.

And I thought the Droid X was a 3g phone. Does it have a SIM card?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
You can get a SIM for free from a corporate store, or pay for one online. You could also cut your current SIM card.

You should look at the Moto X. They sell a version for Verizon.

And I thought the Droid X was a 3g phone. Does it have a SIM card?

No, it doesn't. He could be confusing the micro SD card of the Droid X with the 4g sim of the Moto X

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone...indeed - I am confused about a great many things... (imagine Verizon saying this to me in the voice of the Galactic Emperor from Star Wars)....

I just don't know what to do... I have an unlimited data plan with three phones on it. The plan is the Nationwide 700 minute plan with 1000 texts.

The primary phone is the old Droid X, and it is dying.

So what the heck do I do? Verizon has pretty much plugged up the holes with getting subsidized phones and keeping an UDP... I really don't relish spending $650 or more for a top of the line phone.... I cant find a good phone to purchase online that is a) guaranteed to work with Verizon and LTE, and b) is somewhat recent and affordable.

FYI, while we don't use a lot of data today, one of the three phones will eventually be replaced and my 12 year old daughter will become a teenager and start using more data! I hate to give up the UDP...

Any advice is most welcomed!

R

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone...indeed - I am confused about a great many things... (imagine Verizon saying this to me in the voice of the Galactic Emperor from Star Wars)....

I just don't know what to do... I have an unlimited data plan with three phones on it. The plan is the Nationwide 700 minute plan with 1000 texts.

The primary phone is the old Droid X, and it is dying.

So what the heck do I do? Verizon has pretty much plugged up the holes with getting subsidized phones and keeping an UDP... I really don't relish spending $650 or more for a top of the line phone.... I cant find a good phone to purchase online that is a) guaranteed to work with Verizon and LTE, and b) is somewhat recent and affordable.

FYI, while we don't use a lot of data today, one of the three phones will eventually be replaced and my 12 year old daughter will become a teenager and start using more data! I hate to give up the UDP...

Any advice is most welcomed!

R

The Moto X is not $650. Go with that.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
The Moto X is not $650. Go with that.

I know you are a fan of the Motorola line, Ry. In your opinion, the Moto X is the best bang for the buck?

I know that "I can't have my cake and eat it too" in all aspects.

R

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It is a shared plan... Nationwide 700 mins. No contract in place.

Only one of the three phones is a smart phone... The other two are simple phones... Old style...

R

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know you are a fan of the Motorola line, Ry. In your opinion, the Moto X is the best bang for the buck?

I know that "I can't have my cake and eat it too" in all aspects.

R

It's July 14. All signs point to the Moto X successor being released in the next two months.

I would still buy the Moto X today.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Try swappa.com for phones and a teen needs to learn life has limitations and so does her phone. There's no reason a teen needs to be given unlimited anything ;) and might even be better to not.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Try swappa.com for phones and a teen needs to learn life has limitations and so does her phone. There's no reason a teen needs to be given unlimited anything ;) and might even be better to not.

Many thanks...I never knew of that site before. I ended up with a new Samsung S4 for a very good price.

Regarding teenagers, this one is still just 12, but has a 97 average in school, is a good kid and is a competitive athlete. If she keeps this up, she can have unlimited everything. :)

This will hold us over until Verizon decides what they are going to do with UDP. If they force everyone off eventually, I hope to get something more out of it than they were willing to offer today.

R

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
It is a shared plan... Nationwide 700 mins. No contract in place.

Only one of the three phones is a smart phone... The other two are simple phones... Old style...

R
You could always use an upgrade on the basic lines, if you have one, and then transfer the new smartphone to your unlimited data line.

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I know It's already been said... Swappa is great I have bought and sold with zero issues.. I hope you enjoy your s4

Sent from my rooted Verizon galaxy s5

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
Idk if I'm missing something... but unless you give your daughter your wife's phone, she won't get unlimited data when you get her a smartphone

Posted via Android Central App