Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

$30 UDP never guaranteed top speeds either......so there's that. Glad I gave mine up & saved $$ on my bill + free New LG G3 with 6gig max plan for$30. ( I never went be over 3 gig a month anyway.

sent from my LG G3

I never said it did.. He just made it sound like they were stealing or exploiting something to get unlimited data... I accept unlimited will go away.. I got it with T-Mobile and I expect they will keep it for awhile longer ... But once their coverage is alot better I expect them to move away from it as well.. Just not soon since they need coverage and unlimited is their hook for customers at the moment.

And that's good if 6 GB works for you :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

I hope you enjoy your "Network Optimization". Unlimited contracts will not be able to avoid it.

I am in contract on my phone that has unlimited data till 2016

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

That puts me in the top 5%. I travel all the time and hotel network just plain sucks. I use my LTE to watch movies. I use about 15-20GB/month. That's just one line. My wife uses 2-3GB and my father uses about 2GB. That's about 19-25GB/ month.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

Well, someday it had to catch us:

"Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device."

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...4/07/network-optimization.html&token=oWmdZK6e

MORANDCHI

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

Hey was looking at the article and it says "during peak times" what is considered "peak"? Is it like cell phone voice 07:00 to 9:00 pm

Chris

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

I can't find that quote. I think they'll do it whenever the user is "connecting to a cell site when it is experiencing heavy demand."

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Verizon would slow the Internet connection, so using third party hotspot app or default app won't make a difference if you are network optimized

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

But he could stop paying the $30/month for the Verizon hotspot. I'm in the same boat as he is, and I would do the same. I'm paying $60 a month for unlimited data and hotspot, and if I'm going to get throttled at 5 gigs the same a everyone else, I'll drop the $30 tethering and save the money. If they want to be fair and not throttle till 10 gigs the customers in my situation, then I'll leave plan alone. $60 for v10 gigs of non throttled data is still a pretty penny.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

xiwong

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

But he could stop paying the $30/month for the Verizon hotspot. I'm in the same boat as he is, and I would do the same. I'm paying $60 a month for unlimited data and hotspot, and if I'm going to get throttled at 5 gigs the same a everyone else, I'll drop the $30 tethering and save the money. If they want to be fair and not throttle till 10 gigs the customers in my situation, then I'll leave plan alone. $60 for v10 gigs of non throttled data is still a pretty penny.

That was exactly what was on my mind.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

This is why I am glad I got rid of my unlimited, I struggle to use over 2GB of data, there is WiFi everywhere in Atlanta, Barnes and Noble, McDonalds, Starbucks, my college campus all over, unlimited is an expensive luxury. Not only that by switching to tiered I saved $80, I think some need to reevaluate what is important, keeping unlimited, or going through loopholes and buying phones off contract, as compared to saving some money and living with the phone you have and upgrade when it is time. Either way, I think soon, real soon, they will get rid of those unlimited plans, and or stop those loopholes to get new devices.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

This is why I am glad I got rid of my unlimited, I struggle to use over 2GB of data, there is WiFi everywhere in Atlanta, Barnes and Noble, McDonalds, Starbucks, my college campus all over, unlimited is an expensive luxury. Not only that by switching to tiered I saved $80, I think some need to reevaluate what is important, keeping unlimited, or going through loopholes and buying phones off contract, as compared to saving some money and living with the phone you have and upgrade when it is time. Either way, I think soon, real soon, they will get rid of those unlimited plans, and or stop those loopholes to get new devices.

I would spend $30 month more if I switched to tiered data. Some of us have a extra $20 talk/data discount on 4 of our lines, so I think most of us have evaluated our situation.

And if data usage continues to become high demand, your free WiFi spots are going to dry up. And think about this, everyone is hooking to the Wi-Fi at McDonald's or wherever, the quality of those spots will get degraded with everyone hooking to them. I've used public Wi-Fi, a lot of times it's barely usable.

Which I understand that is what Verizon is trying to avoid, but be fair about it, if they would offer me 10 gigs I would do it. They offered the unlimited data to the early data users, the ones that helped them get smart phones going, it's only fair to offer us something more.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You save money on it sure... But for that guy that mentioned how much he uses due to travel and how much his parents all that use? It would cost him a fortune. You saved money since you don't use much data.. Some depend on it more and use more data so the price is worth it.

Remember just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Verizon's official announcement here:
Network Optimization – Data Demand

Pertinent excerpt:

Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device. They may experience slower data speeds when using certain high bandwidth applications, such as streaming high-definition video or during real-time, online gaming, and only when connecting to a cell site when it is experiencing heavy demand. (Note: Does not currently apply to government or business accounts that have signed a major account agreement).

IMO, this is primarily another attempt to try to convince more users to give up their unlimited data (versus just taking it away and risking a serious backlash). I also think it's an attempt to get more people back on contract and to try to get high data users to pay more for their usage, otherwise face the possibility of being "optimized" (aka throttled).

Personally, I'm not buying it. I still value the advantages of unlimited data and being off contract over the possibility of being throttled those times I may hit high usage (usually only during the NFL season due to streaming games). :)

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, for the advice, however, when one lives in the booneys, as opposed to a wifi metropolis, unlimited data is awesome.
I'll keep buying phones from swappa and keep my unlimited data as long as I can.

Posted via Android Central App, on my swappa purchased S4.

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

I am actually debating transferring the upgrades on two of my unlimited data lines to extend the contracts before October 1st.

No one knows how long the Unlimited Data transfer will be available

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Thanks, for the advice, however, when one lives in the booneys, as opposed to a wifi metropolis, unlimited data is awesome.
I'll keep buying phones from swappa and keep my unlimited data as long as I can.

I'm glad I live in an area with fast service. Comcast gives me 125 Down, 25 Up. :)

Gotta do what's best for your needs. I gave unlimited data up for a $60 per month loyalty plan which includes unlimited minutes and text with 2GB data.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I would spend $30 month more if I switched to tiered data. Some of us have a extra $20 talk/data discount on 4 of our lines, so I think most of us have evaluated our situation.

And if data usage continues to become high demand, your free WiFi spots are going to dry up. And think about this, everyone is hooking to the Wi-Fi at McDonald's or wherever, the quality of those spots will get degraded with everyone hooking to them. I've used public Wi-Fi, a lot of times it's barely usable.

Which I understand that is what Verizon is trying to avoid, but be fair about it, if they would offer me 10 gigs I would do it. They offered the unlimited data to the early data users, the ones that helped them get smart phones going, it's only fair to offer us something more.

I have never had a problem using public WiFi. /shrug

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

You save money on it sure... But for that guy that mentioned how much he uses due to travel and how much his parents all that use? It would cost him a fortune. You saved money since you don't use much data.. Some depend on it more and use more data so the price is worth it.

Remember just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

That's why I said "I", also people should know by now if they want unlimited for real and no jumping hoops, Verizon is awful. I have been there, and I used data all the time because I had unlimited but with it gone I realize how much WiFi can be utilized and is available. But again, that's me.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I was in the booneys for the past month and has WiFi where I was staying and was fine, and even then when I used data for the basics outside of video streaming, I never hut 3GB of data. But as I said, that's me.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad I live in an area with fast service. Comcast gives me 125 Down, 25 Up. :)

Gotta do what's best for your needs. I gave unlimited data up for a $60 per month loyalty plan which includes unlimited minutes and text with 2GB data.

Nice.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Nice.

I know, its fast. Downloading anything is fast and my WiFi speeds are equal to that of my wired. Ping is obviously slightly worse (about 9 Wired compared to 19 WiFi). I use my own equipment (Motorola 6141 and an Asus AC Router) so I have the best possible setup. :)

I have unlimited home data now but it'll probably get a 300 GB cap soon with them reenacting it. Still though, 300 GB is plenty.

As for my phone, my cell is my main business line so minutes mean more than data. $78 a month after taxes and TEC Insurance coverage. Not bad. May dump insurance though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC