Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

anon(41073)

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

No one should "like" the idea of not having the option for unlimited data, but this is a matter of resources.

Just like the old days of dial up, and then cable internet with limited bandwidth, we have limits to cellular spectrum.

Until this changes, I have no choice but to support limitations on data hogs. I want to be able to download business files and navigate, do web searches, etc. and not worry about speed - if folks are streaming movies just because they "can" and don't want to use wifi, I can't support their complaining about losing unlimited data.

Btw, one of my accounts has unlimited data, so this is not a jealousy thing.

R
Exactly, why should the such a small group mess things up for everyone else.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

By the way, having said this, it burns may a$$ that verizon is the beneficiary of all of this.

I really despise their business practices and variability in employee knowledge and general willingness to lie or just make it up.

I am sure that not all verizon employees are like this.

R

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site

I don't care about WiFi security as I never check anything too personal on WiFi. But as far as data goes, if I need more, I can pay for it, no problem. Trying to jeep unlimited data was such a hassle, when it is a want and not a need. I have other things that need more financial attention besides ponying up big bucks to buy a phone off contract or off of eBay. But that's my use case, data is not that valuable to me, especially since my online footprint is very small (AC forums, and web browsing).

Posted via Android Central App

I do no understand why keeping UD is such a hassle? If you are single and you change devices every two years, then it will more than likely be cheaper to keep an UDP and go m2m than sign a new contract and get a subsidized phone.

My sister in law is on a tiered single plan and she has unlimited talk and text and 3 gigs of data with Verizon and has a subsidized phone. She pays $100 per month. I have m2m with UD, text, 450 talk, and free talk weekends and nights, but I pay $81.

It was not a hassle at all to keep my UD. I went to the Apple store picked up a Verizon iPhone 5, paid full price, loaded my apps and data from the cloud and I was on my way.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I do no understand why keeping UD is such a hassle? If you are single and you change devices every two years, then it will more than likely be cheaper to keep an UDP and go m2m than sign a new contract and get a subsidized phone.

My sister in law is on a tiered single plan and she has unlimited talk and text and 3 gigs of data with Verizon and has a subsidized phone. She pays $100 per month. I have m2m with UD, text, 450 talk, and free talk weekends and nights, but I pay $81.

It was not a hassle at all to keep my UD. I went to the Apple store picked up a Verizon iPhone 5, paid full price, loaded my apps and data from the cloud and I was on my way.

Not everyone will pay full price for devices and a lot of people here are on old plans that of course are better financially. But modern Verizon plans can be cheaper, but have less data.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimite...

Not everyone will pay full price for devices and a lot of people here are on old plans that of course are better financially. But modern Verizon plans can be cheaper, but have less data.

Because most people do not do basic research when they buy consumer goods in this country. It is buy now and worry how to pay for it later.

If people did research, they will find that the share everything plan with a contract and a subsidized phone ends up costing the same or less as an old UDP without a subsidized phone.

I was surprised myself when I did the numbers. I then called Verizon and the rep confirmed that my grandfathered plan is cheaper than any current plan that they have.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Because most people do not do basic research when they buy consumer goods in this country. It is buy now and worry how to pay for it later.

If people did research, they will find that the share everything plan with a contract and a subsidized phone ends up costing the same or less as an old UDP with a subsidized phone.

I was surprised myself when I did the numbers. I then called Verizon and the rep confirmed that my grandfathered plan is cheaper than any current plan that they have.

Those old plans aren't available so....

Anyways you still have to pay full price for a device which of course costs hundreds for something decent on Verizon.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon will start throttling customers on unlimited 4G plan

Verizon will start throttling customers with unlimited 4G plans. You guys see this yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

if folks are streaming movies just because they "can" and don't want to use wifi, I can't support their complaining about losing unlimited data.

Exactly.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

2) Go with one of the Max plans, $30 for 6 GB, $50 for 8 GB, and use wifi more. Knowing Verizon, they may end these plans by October 1st in another effort to move people to the Less Everything plans. Also risking the $20 Talk, Text and Data discount I have had since 2010.

Do they still offer this? The last discussions I see here of those plans was in Dec. 2013/Jan. 2014. With the new 4.7 GB throttling, it seems against their interests to offer us more data and talk and text, for less money.

I'd love to trade up from my 450 talk, no text, unlimited data plan, for either of those Loyalty Max plans, and the lower-tier one would save me $10/mo.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Yes... My wife just got the 6gb for 30 deal the other day. However, they gave her a hard time saying that she also had to do Edge.

She argued with them and won. We had talked to someone in verizon support first and I captured the text chat. We did not have to use it, but it was close.

FYI, she had the nationwide 700 min plan. I was told that we could not switch to a share / more everything plan (which has unlimited talk and text) and get the 30 dollar special.

R

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Yes... My wife just got the 6gb for 30 deal the other day. However, they gave her a hard time saying that she also had to do Edge.

She argued with them and won. We had talked to someone in verizon support first and I captured the text chat. We did not have to use it, but it was close.

FYI, she had the nationwide 700 min plan. I was told that we could not switch to a share / more everything plan (which has unlimited talk and text) and get the 30 dollar special.

R
That is great that you got that without edge. Will they still let her get a subsidized device with that plan?

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Yes, we got a brand new Samsung s5.

R

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Is the only substantive difference that you get one subsidized phone (immediately, upon signing up) with "not Edge" vs. zero for Edge?

(I'm assuming you can refuse to purchase a new phone on the Edge payment plan, and can continue to buy phones outright from non-Verizon sources.)

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Is the only substantive difference that you get one subsidized phone (immediately, upon signing up) with "not Edge" vs. zero for Edge?

(I'm assuming you can refuse to purchase a new phone on the Edge payment plan, and can continue to buy phones outright from non-Verizon sources.)
I think Verizon is still working that out. Some people have brought their own phones to the family share plan thing that is $260 with subsidized phones ore $160 with edge. I have read that some of these people did not get the cheaper price.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Not sure I understand.

With the plan we signed up for (2 year contract, no Edge), we own the phone at the end of the time period. We paid 99 for it, so it is subsidized.

On Edge, you pay off the FULL value of the phone ($600 for most phones) over the course of two years or less. On Edge, the phone can be traded in after 60% of the phone is paid off, so it becomes more like a lease.

Very different arrangements.

R

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Not sure I understand.

With the plan we signed up for (2 year contract, no Edge), we own the phone at the end of the time period. We paid 99 for it, so it is subsidized.

On Edge, you pay off the FULL value of the phone ($600 for most phones) over the course of two years or less. On Edge, the phone can be traded in after 60% of the phone is paid off, so it becomes more like a lease.

Very different arrangements.

R

Yeah, sorry, I didn't understand Edge. My assumption that you could get Edge but decline purchasing a phone was way off base. I just spent about an hour on the VZW site trying to catch up with their plans.

I'm not the "Edge Up" demographic. I'm not one to be eager to upgrade from a phone I like. No way would I want to change to a plan that stipulates that I must always and forever be in the Edge program, which is a cash suck and is heavily weighted in Verizon's favor. I'd gladly give up my current unlimited (cough, 4.7 GB) data /450 talk/no texts contract for a similarly priced $40 + $30 6-GB or $50 8-GB plan with unlimited T&T, but with no Edge enrollment strings attached, like your wife got. The fact that she got a subsidized phone is just gravy.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, sorry, I didn't understand Edge. My assumption that you could get Edge but decline purchasing a phone was way off base. I just spent about an hour on the VZW site trying to catch up with their plans.

I'm not the "Edge Up" demographic. I'm not one to be eager to upgrade from a phone I like. No way would I want to change to a plan that stipulates that I must always and forever be in the Edge program, which is a cash suck and is heavily weighted in Verizon's favor. I'd gladly give up my current unlimited (cough, 4.7 GB) data /450 talk/no texts contract for a similarly priced $40 + $30 6-GB or $50 8-GB plan with unlimited T&T, but with no Edge enrollment strings attached, like your wife got. The fact that she got a subsidized phone is just gravy.

Yup... but one quick thought / correction for you. Once on Edge you are not always on Edge.

When you pay off the phone (assuming you stay with it for 24 months), you own the phone and you are not obligated to continue on.

You can then go month to month, or sign up for a new 2 year contract and get a subsidized phone.

But if you want a new phone every year (or at 60% of the value of the phone), then you can turn it in and get a new one...and you start a new 24 month payment cycle...

Of course, the price for data itself is a separate issue. I am sure we will see pricing changes for the next few years as the providers fight for our business.

R

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

Yup... but one quick thought / correction for you. Once on Edge you are not always on Edge.

When you pay off the phone (assuming you stay with it for 24 months), you own the phone and you are not obligated to continue on.

You can then go month to month, or sign up for a new 2 year contract and get a subsidized phone.

But if you want a new phone every year (or at 60% of the value of the phone), then you can turn it in and get a new one...and you start a new 24 month payment cycle...

Of course, the price for data itself is a separate issue. I am sure we will see pricing changes for the next few years as the providers fight for our business.

R

Yes, while we don't have to stay on Edge, I was assuming it was required to keep our special contract.

That would be great if we can go month to month after 20 months on Edge and retain that exact contract. The one that we unlimited data people can get for the special inducement pricing of $30 for 6 GB if we take Edge (and also get a $10 device discount for being on Edge). I'd be all over that. But I wonder why would Verizon ever want to continue giving us the $10 device discount for being on Edge. I would think they would rather say we're out of that contract, and poof, we're paying $80 for 6 GB like any new customer off the street.

Here they say it's a 20-month contract. (I couldn't find anything related to month to month):
"Contract and Payment Plan - Does the Verizon Edge program require an agreement? Yes, when you participate in the Verizon Edge program, you will enter a 20-month Verizon Edge Agreement."​

Your wife has the ideal plan, where month-to-month should work like it always has.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel