Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

I'm contact free and would prefer to keep it that way. The way the ground is shifting, I want to remain nimble. I would be happy with the Note 3 as a 2 year subsidized phone because that's how good it is. But the removal of the DPP so quickly is a disturbing sign.

I want to keep the option of moving open. Currently, this is my only Internet access because I tether at home and it's usually faster than anything I could get wired for less than $60. I hate the idea of paying twice for Internet.

BUT

if I lose unlimited or am significantly shackled, it might be worth it for me to go with a cheap plan somewhere else, sell the Note 3 in November or December, and get a subsidized phone of my choice with another carrier (or VZN if I'm not pissed off too much by them), and go wired Internet for $40. While that's what you're recommending, I would probably just sell the Note if change carriers and buy another compatable Note on eBay or maybe another kind of phone. Since most of my real usage is at home, I could probably get 90% of what I get now for the same price or cheaper with a 2 gig data plan and get some great deal from any of the carriers on any phone I might want. Phone coverage isn't much is a deal for me because I rarely use my phone as a phone. And when I do, it's usually at home, where I have a major tower 300 feet from my home.

I just haven't done it because I haven't had the need.

Until now. Maybe. We'll see how it shakes out.

PS, since I got Netflix, I'm averaging between 30 - 60 gigs a month. High but not outrageous. I used to average around 10 - 12.

This might be a good way to tell if your cell tower is congested, if YouTube continually buffers.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

Quote Originally Posted by alxarambula View Post
    This might be a good way to tell if your cell tower is congested, if YouTube continually buffers.

Not all the time. I can get speed tests 30-70 mbps at my desk at work, but still get buffering on YouTube. I even tested youtube when it was buffering and was able to download fine at 50+mbps.

For reference, a fHD steam uses around 5mbps, hd around 2mbps.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Default Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

Quote Originally Posted by HawaiiD View Post
    This was from the Verizon press release dated 7-25-14.When they first announced network Optimization.

I checked the Verizon Network Optimization faq page again. It was Posted 7-28-14. It states "All" UDP subscribers will be affected except for government or business accounts that have signed a "Major" contract.

Plus it goes on to say even certain business accounts that have UDP will be affected. They need to contact Verizon to find a plan that is suitable for their needs.

I don't see anywhere on the faq page about people who are still on a contract
    Will not be affected?

Can anyone confirm if people on contract are exempt?
    Good point. I am not sure then. But still I will probably get something before October 1st, provided that the original link is still up, print it out and keep it as backup, and the Verizon terms of service at the time do not explicitly state otherwise. If Verizon throttles me and refuses to budge , I will make a stink about it, file a notice of dispute and arbitrate if necessary, file a dispute with the state attorney general, and with the bbb. I would be willing to bet that they would give me unlimited, at least for the duration of the minimum contract term.

Default Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

That is just crazy 4.7 gigs.. My 6 month average is 33 gigs.. With my UDP when they start to throttle I will still keep doing what I normally do. I pay for unlimited data and use it as such.

I stream a lot of music and movies watch news on my phone.

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    Good point. I am not sure then. But still I will probably get something before October 1st, provided that the original link is still up, print it out and keep it as backup, and the Verizon terms of service at the time do not explicitly state otherwise. If Verizon throttles me and refuses to budge , I will make a stink about it, file a notice of dispute and arbitrate if necessary, file a dispute with the state attorney general, and with the bbb. I would be willing to bet that they would give me unlimited, at least for the duration of the minimum contract term.

I would hope Verizon would instead of throttling? Up the price for the UDP
    Say 5-10 dollars a month more and keep it the way it is now. All you can eat
    Sent from my Coconut Wireless Sony Xperia Z1S

I would hope Verizon would instead of throttling? Up the price for the UDP
    Say 5-10 dollars a month more and keep it the way it is now. All you can eat
    Doubt they'd do this at all. They want people off unlimited.. They're trying to force everyone to the limited plans to increase profits.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Doubt they'd do this at all. They want people off unlimited.. They're trying to force everyone to the limited plans to increase profits.

Then Verizon should just end UDP all together.
    . It would make all subscribers go to tiered plans. And the fcc would just have to leave Verizon alone..

The more I think about it? The more pressure the fcc puts on Verizon?
    It might just backfire I current UDP subscribers
    Last edited by HawaiiD; 08-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Then Verizon should just end UDP all together.
    . It would make all subscribers go to tiered plans. And the fcc would just have to leave Verizon alone..

The more I think about it? The more pressure the fcc puts on Verizon?
    It might just backfire I current UDP subscribers
    Who knows? Usually they want to nudge... They do that and throttle... And hang the limited unthrottled plan.. Most will switch and not know better... But telling a customer straight up that we're taking this from you? Bad for business.

Quote Originally Posted by pnjabimunda8 View Post
    In order to see reduced speeds, you have to be a customer that meets all of the criteria below (again, ALL of the criteria):

Top 5% of data users (you use 4.7GB of data per month or more)
    Enrolled on an unlimited data plan or feature
    Have fulfilled their minimum contract term
    Are attempting to use data on a cell site that is experiencing high demand
    Agreed....there is toooooooo much panic that "VZW is gonna shut us all down and it ain't fair" since the numbers of VZW customers who will meet all the criteria to be throttled is a tiny sliver of users.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooncatt View Post
    For some people, that's actually a possibility. Close to it anyway. If you live near a congested tower and rely on that one tower for most of your data, then I could see you being affected a fair bit. What I'm wondering about is the throttling of the subsequent billing cycle. When your cycle rests, are they going to unthrottle you up to the 4.7 GB again, or throttle you from day one of the cycle?
    The VZW press release indicated the throttling would be WHILE the tower is congested AND the data hog was doing a data-intensive app (like streaming HD video from Netflix). That means if the tower utilization drops the throttling drops...or if the video streaming stops during the congestion the throttling stops...or if the if the data hog moves to another tower the throttling stops

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post

Does anybody have a link? I'd like to make a copy of it.

Verizon response to FCC's throttling concerns: everyone's doing it.

http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/8/4/...ottling-letter

I still think it's bull****. By throttling just myself, it's not going to make a difference on a congested tower.

Posted via Galaxy S5

Verizon keeps changing their page, now no where does it mention the bit where they said they would only throttle those who have completed their contract. If any one has a screen shot or a link to the older version I'd greatly appreciate it.

Default Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

Quote Originally Posted by MORANDCHI View Post
    That is just crazy 4.7 gigs.. My 6 month average is 33 gigs.. With my UDP when they start to throttle I will still keep doing what I normally do. I pay for unlimited data and use it as such.

I stream a lot of music and movies watch news on my phone.
    I'm pretty sure with the throttled data rate you will be doing none of those things after you reach 4.7 gb.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

Global Posts
    920 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7 7.1 / Tiamat 3.3.7

Quote Originally Posted by Profelec View Post
    I still think it's bull****. By throttling just myself, it's not going to make a difference on a congested tower.

Posted via Galaxy S5
    Hopefully, if your throttled? The speeds are not that bad?

Hopefully, if your throttled? The speeds are not that bad?
    I hope. I got rid of att because I couldn't even use my data when throttled.

Posted via Galaxy S5

"Data hog". Right.

Texting only! Don't dare use the Internet after we sold it to you. Don't dare use it after we charge you a "Smartphone fee". How entitled do you think you are using your Smartphone? Be happy being able to make phone calls! You get dropped calls? Quit yer bitchin'!

I pay $20/month and use upwards of 50gigs a month. Should I be throttled? I pay full price for phones and am out of contract. I signed up for unlimited data. Not throttled data. There should be a class action lawsuit percolating around here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by alxarambula View Post
    Does anybody have a link? I'd like to make a copy of it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ext...imization.html

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by LocationDudeNYC View Post
    I pay $20/month and use upwards of 50gigs a month. Should I be throttled? I pay full price for phones and am out of contract. I signed up for unlimited data. Not throttled data. There should be a class action lawsuit percolating around here somewhere.
    Technically it is still unlimited even if throttled. You're still able to use as much data as you want.. Just not at the best speeds (if throttled). No carrier or home ISP guarantees their speeds. Comcast or whatever may sell you 50 Mbps but their terms always say those aren't guaranteed.

Thanked by 5:
    A895Eclipse2KRyUJ95xzedorda 
    Ry, zedorda, Synycalwon and 2 others like this.

Global Posts
    8,893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Technically it is still unlimited even if throttled. You're still able to use as much data as you want.. Just not at the best speeds (if throttled). No carrier or home ISP guarantees their speeds. Comcast or whatever may sell you 50 Mbps but their terms always say those aren't guaranteed.

This. If they advertised unlimited high speed data, then maybe you could do something about it. But then they'd have another way to get around that loophole

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SOKP 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    A895 and shortwave8669 like this.

This.

Except Comcast always exceeds my 105 Mbps and gives me 120+Mbps. No provider guarantees speeds which is the key.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)
    Thanked by 2:
    A895Ry 
    Ry and A895 like this.

Well we went with Verizon unlimited everything knowing the rules in the 700mhz spectrum. Verizon would not be Verizon today if they didn't get the spectrum and part of the deal was to give customers more freedom. Now Verizon thinks they may have found some loophole in order to single out unlimited data power users and throttle them with ambiguous circumstances.

Let's face it, they make more money from a unlimited data user who only uses 4.7gb than anyone on tier data plan. No subsidized phone just pure profit every month. Of course they don't want to throttle those folks. They want those who actually watch Game of Throne on the road. Those bastards how dare they use wireless data that way, they should only check emails and facebook.

Verizon wants a fight and I am ready. I may lose but I will go down fighting. In the mean time I will still make $370 auto payments every month....wait sounds like I am being screwed here....
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast