Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

What I don't like most about this new policy is that once you go over the 4.7GB cap you will be so called flagged? For at least the current and next bill.
If you keep on going over this cap? It will keep on revolving on your account to where Verizon can throttle you for an indefinite amount of time.

Question is? What will you be throttled to? 3G? If that is the case? 3G also has a cap @ 2 GB. And if you go over that 3G cap?
Will you be throttled again? Will it goto 1x?

I think everyone is worrying too much. The throttling only happens on congested networks for a temporary time. Not indefinitely being throttled the whole bill cycle.

Posted via Android Central App

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Damn you verizon (possible throttling of future LTE for off contract unlimited uber-users)

I think everyone is worrying too much. The throttling only happens on congested networks for a temporary time. Not indefinitely being throttled the whole bill cycle.

For some people, that's actually a possibility. Close to it anyway. If you live near a congested tower and rely on that one tower for most of your data, then I could see you being affected a fair bit. What I'm wondering about is the throttling of the subsequent billing cycle. When your cycle rests, are they going to unthrottle you up to the 4.7 GB again, or throttle you from day one of the cycle?

R01k

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: LTE Throttling Starts October 2014

It would be interesting to know the average data usage required to fall in that 5%. As far as I know, some poeple eat up to 80 GB a month. In my case I rarely go beyond 8 GB.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Starting in October 2014, Verizon Wireless will extend its network optimization policy to the data users who: fall within the top 5 percent of data users on our network, have fulfilled their minimum contractual commitment, and are on unlimited plans using a 4G LTE device.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
This was from the Verizon press release dated 7-25-14.When they first announced network Optimization.

I checked the Verizon Network Optimization faq page again. It was Posted 7-28-14. It states "All" UDP subscribers will be affected except for government or business accounts that have signed a "Major" contract.

Plus it goes on to say even certain business accounts that have UDP will be affected. They need to contact Verizon to find a plan that is suitable for their needs.

I don't see anywhere on the faq page about people who are still on a contract
Will not be affected?

Can anyone confirm if people on contract are exempt?

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

This was from the Verizon press release dated 7-25-14.When they first announced network Optimization.

I checked the Verizon Network Optimization faq page again. It was Posted 7-28-14. It states "All" UDP subscribers will be affected except for government or business accounts that have signed a "Major" contract.

Plus it goes on to say even certain business accounts that have UDP will be affected. They need to contact Verizon to find a plan that is suitable for their needs.

Will not be affected?

It says you must meet all the criteria, one of them being to have met minimum 2 year contract. So if you're still in contract, you should be exempt.

Posted via Galaxy S5

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

We will just need to wait and see. all we know is that the landscape is changing rapidly

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I'd be very interested if you would tell us how it goes for you. I would think you certainly would not be on any congested cell location under those conditions.

But I also have a feeling Verizon will just ignore that part of the criteria and cut speed for anyone off contract once they hit the magic 4.7 GB average use per month. If 95% of their users aren't using over 4.7 GB, cutting back users who do go over isn't going to help 95% of their network congestion.

I've a feeling this is being done for show. Verizon is going to say "Dear FCC — Look at the lengths we have to go to to manage our network. We need more spectrum that you don't want us or AT&T to be able to buy! OH THE HORROR!"

It's not absolute yet.

These are my latest speeds (just ran a test) and I'm already at 7.3 gigs (my cycle date is the 18th). These are pretty much in line with what I've gotten in the past, with zippy speeds on the weekend and lesser during the week.

I *have* noticed some YouTube buffering when leaving work downtown Nashville once, which I had never experienced before. I chalked it up to congestion, but now I'm wondering if it might have been throttling.

Oh yeah, another way that they are restricting unlimited is that I just found out today that as of the middle of last month, they have discontinued the main loophole, the Device Payment Plan (DPP). Somehow, I missed this under-the-radar announcement. I was planning to sell my Note 3 toward the close of my 12 month purchase and possibly get the Note 4 or something exciting in order to keep unlimited while getting a new phone but looks like that's out. I'll probably be keeping the Note 3 for a while longer while I consider my options.

Just curious - did AC report this development and I just missed it? If not, you guys might want to mention it, even though it's too late to do anything about it now. I'd hate to see people get surprised as the program is coming up on 12 months at the end of the year and there will be some who will think that they can roll over into a new phone but will be surprised to find that EDGE is now their only option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-03-09-17-30.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-03-09-17-30.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I see now that this policy starts in October. So, depending on whether my home tower is congested or not, I might be looking at different options. I live in a light industrial area with not a lot of homes so it will be up in the air (so to speak) as to how congested the tower is. It certainly isn't during the weekend where I get around 60 Mbs. Even during the week, I average 30 or so Mbs so I doubt that it is very congested. Home is where I do most of my streaming. At work, it's always been slow because it's right downtown so I might have to give up the occasional data intensive streaming, which I don't do a lot of anyway.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

For some people, that's actually a possibility. Close to it anyway. If you live near a congested tower and rely on that one tower for most of your data, then I could see you being affected a fair bit. What I'm wondering about is the throttling of the subsequent billing cycle. When your cycle rests, are they going to unthrottle you up to the 4.7 GB again, or throttle you from day one of the cycle?
I had a 3G device on a UL plan a couple years ago when they first implemented this throttling idea and it DID go thru the next entire month's cycle. It sounds like the same idea now. The throttling was obvious because it turned on and off like a switch. I got a 4G/LTE phone and it stopped.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

It says you must meet all the criteria, one of them being to have met minimum 2 year contract. So if you're still in contract, you should be exempt.

Posted via Galaxy S5
Profelec,
It does not state anywhere on the official Verizon network Optimization faq page?
It says anyone who is on a UDP and is in the top 5%. Will be affected.

The faq page went up 3 days after the press release dpham posted.

Even on Howard forums the concensus seems to be that it will affect all UDP'S
Except govt or business accounts with major contracts with Verizon.

And also,what is this minimal Contractual obligation? For you it means most likely you signed up for another 2 years of services with Verizon. However, that same contract you signed with Verizon also allows them to change terms of your account pretty much as they please.
Verizon will however, have to let you know first of the changes being made.

dpham did mention earlier to get on contract before Oct 1st. I would recommend getting the facts straight before you lock yourself into another 2 years. What if it does affect everyone? And your a person who uses more than 4.7GB? I don't think you would like be stuck to a contract being throttled for 2 years?

I have tried looking all over the net plus Twitter and have not seen any true clarification if regular accounts still under contract are exempt.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

We will just need to wait and see. all we know is that the landscape is changing rapidly

Same sentiment here. IMHO, there's way too much speculation going on in this thread (and else where across the Internet); all based on limited information and on a policy that has yet to even go into effect. Personally, I'm content to sit back and see how it plays out before even worrying about any potential ramifications or entertaining the idea of making changes to my current Verizon setup. :)

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I think it is fair to rein in the top 5% of users... at least if it is true that 95% of us won't be impacted (or possibly even receive a little benefit). I think it is fair to share the bandwidth somewhat evenly in order to provide consistent service to all.

With that said, I don't think I'll be impacted since I don't use nearly as much data as some do... I don't stream music or use other data hungry functions.

Some might consider it fair if it was being evenly applied to all high-volume users, but VzW intends to apply it to ONLY high volume users (over 4.7gb/month) on Unlimited Data plans and out of contract...not those in contract and not those on the newer Share Everything plans. An Unlimited user that uses 5gb will be throttled, a Share Everything user that uses 9.9gb will not. This is not an effort to manage spectrum congestion, it is a blatant and unethical attempt to force legacy unlimited users off those plans, and a direct violation of the terms of their agreement with the FCC that was negotiated with their spectrum purchase.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

It would be interesting to know the average data usage required to fall in that 5%. As far as I know, some poeple eat up to 80 GB a month. In my case I rarely go beyond 8 GB.

I've read that the throttling limit will be set at 4.7gb.

Posted via the "Best Smartphone of 2013" One

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

Profelec,
It does not state anywhere on the official Verizon network Optimization faq page?
It says anyone who is on a UDP and is in the top 5%. Will be affected.

The faq page went up 3 days after the press release dpham posted.

Even on Howard forums the concensus seems to be that it will affect all UDP'S
Except govt or business accounts with major contracts with Verizon.

And also,what is this minimal Contractual obligation? For you it means most likely you signed up for another 2 years of services with Verizon. However, that same contract you signed with Verizon also allows them to change terms of your account pretty much as they please.
Verizon will however, have to let you know first of the changes being made.

dpham did mention earlier to get on contract before Oct 1st. I would recommend getting the facts straight before you lock yourself into another 2 years. What if it does affect everyone? And your a person who uses more than 4.7GB? I don't think you would like be stuck to a contract being throttled for 2 years?

I have tried looking all over the net plus Twitter and have not seen any true clarification if regular accounts still under contract are exempt.

It originally said that. They must of changed it.

Posted via Galaxy S5

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

It's not absolute yet.

These are my latest speeds (just ran a test) and I'm already at 7.3 gigs (my cycle date is the 18th). These are pretty much in line with what I've gotten in the past, with zippy speeds on the weekend and lesser during the week.

I *have* noticed some YouTube buffering when leaving work downtown Nashville once, which I had never experienced before. I chalked it up to congestion, but now I'm wondering if it might have been throttling.

Oh yeah, another way that they are restricting unlimited is that I just found out today that as of the middle of last month, they have discontinued the main loophole, the Device Payment Plan (DPP). Somehow, I missed this under-the-radar announcement. I was planning to sell my Note 3 toward the close of my 12 month purchase and possibly get the Note 4 or something exciting in order to keep unlimited while getting a new phone but looks like that's out. I'll probably be keeping the Note 3 for a while longer while I consider my options.

Just curious - did AC report this development and I just missed it? If not, you guys might want to mention it, even though it's too late to do anything about it now. I'd hate to see people get surprised as the program is coming up on 12 months at the end of the year and there will be some who will think that they can roll over into a new phone but will be surprised to find that EDGE is now their only option.

Just use a loophole to get a phone at subsidized price and signs you into another 2 year contract :)

Posted via Galaxy S5

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm contact free and would prefer to keep it that way. The way the ground is shifting, I want to remain nimble. I would be happy with the Note 3 as a 2 year subsidized phone because that's how good it is. But the removal of the DPP so quickly is a disturbing sign.

I want to keep the option of moving open. Currently, this is my only Internet access because I tether at home and it's usually faster than anything I could get wired for less than $60. I hate the idea of paying twice for Internet.

BUT

if I lose unlimited or am significantly shackled, it might be worth it for me to go with a cheap plan somewhere else, sell the Note 3 in November or December, and get a subsidized phone of my choice with another carrier (or VZN if I'm not pissed off too much by them), and go wired Internet for $40. While that's what you're recommending, I would probably just sell the Note if change carriers and buy another compatable Note on eBay or maybe another kind of phone. Since most of my real usage is at home, I could probably get 90% of what I get now for the same price or cheaper with a 2 gig data plan and get some great deal from any of the carriers on any phone I might want. Phone coverage isn't much is a deal for me because I rarely use my phone as a phone. And when I do, it's usually at home, where I have a major tower 300 feet from my home.

I just haven't done it because I haven't had the need.

Until now. Maybe. We'll see how it shakes out.

PS, since I got Netflix, I'm averaging between 30 - 60 gigs a month. High but not outrageous. I used to average around 10 - 12.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This might be a good way to tell if your cell tower is congested, if YouTube continually buffers.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

This might be a good way to tell if your cell tower is congested, if YouTube continually buffers.

Not all the time. I can get speed tests 30-70 mbps at my desk at work, but still get buffering on YouTube. I even tested youtube when it was buffering and was able to download fine at 50+mbps.

For reference, a fHD steam uses around 5mbps, hd around 2mbps.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Will not be affected?

Good point. I am not sure then. But still I will probably get something before October 1st, provided that the original link is still up, print it out and keep it as backup, and the Verizon terms of service at the time do not explicitly state otherwise. If Verizon throttles me and refuses to budge , I will make a stink about it, file a notice of dispute and arbitrate if necessary, file a dispute with the state attorney general, and with the bbb. I would be willing to bet that they would give me unlimited, at least for the duration of the minimum contract term.

MORANDCHI

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site

That is just crazy 4.7 gigs.. My 6 month average is 33 gigs.. With my UDP when they start to throttle I will still keep doing what I normally do. I pay for unlimited data and use it as such.

I stream a lot of music and movies watch news on my phone.