Network Optimization: Throttling unlimited data LTE users (October 2014)

scipper77

May 6, 2014
Visit site
The way I read this this month the top 5% is 4.7 gig. After throttling (OK optimization) next month the top 5% could be 3.7 gig. If the power users drop verizon then the top 5% could be say 2.7 gigs. Throttling would only stop affecting UDP plans when the top 5% of data users are on tiered plans. So only UDP plans that are using less than the average tiered user are safe effectively making your UDP as good as a tiered plan.

I don't know if it will play out that severely but I think this is what Verizon is hoping for. You can keep your UDP but your plan will eventually impact the network similar to our tiered plans. We will only give you more if the towers aren't being used by anyone else.

JulesJam

Banned
Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I am so angry about this I can barely think. When I calm down some, I will try to write out the legal basis for why Verizon should not be able to do this. Perhaps if many of us complain to the FCC, the FCC will do something about it.

dss2000

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
The way I read this this month the top 5% is 4.7 gig. After throttling (OK optimization) next month the top 5% could be 3.7 gig. If the power users drop verizon then the top 5% could be say 2.7 gigs. Throttling would only stop affecting UDP plans when the top 5% of data users are on tiered plans. So only UDP plans that are using less than the average tiered user are safe effectively making your UDP as good as a tiered plan.

I don't know if it will play out that severely but I think this is what Verizon is hoping for. You can keep your UDP but your plan will eventually impact the network similar to our tiered plans. We will only give you more if the towers aren't being used by anyone else.

That's a good point. Also since they only throttle UDP accounts, even if the top 5% consists mostly of tiered data users they will still throttle the UDP users even though they are not the ones causing the congestion.

Posted via Android Central App

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
2 more days until this takes effect. I am going to deliberately run my data up to the top 5% and see how bad the speeds will be when connected to a "congested" tower. If the data ends up being unusable most of the time, I buy my Note 4 on T-Mobile and port out of Verizon.

xiwong

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't begin till October... It isn't October yet :p.

You're right, but I can't help but think they're doing a test run. In the 'burbs of Philly right now (15MHz B4, not that loaded) and all my speed tests come up with what seems like and arbitrary limit of about .9-.95 (only tested because of how slow Google music was streaming). Usually get 30/10 around here.

lh3

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Xi,
Are you off contract?

You're right, but I can't help but think they're doing a test run. In the 'burbs of Philly right now (15MHz B4, not that loaded) and all my speed tests come up with what seems like and arbitrary limit of about .9-.95 (only tested because of how slow Google music was streaming). Usually get 30/10 around here.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have two unlimited lines. I upgraded my line in August. My wife's line has been under contract for a year.

I am at 17.5gb right now. My month end in the second. Guess I will find at quick of upgrading after August 1st worked.

Nothing2Lose

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm just wondering, lets say I meet all criteria the first month and get throttled. Then I do the BB trick and am under contract. I should be fine then right? Since I would not meet all the criteria.

Mr. Toad

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm just wondering, lets say I meet all criteria the first month and get throttled. Then I do the BB trick and am under contract. I should be fine then right? Since I would not meet all the criteria.
Unless they change the terms of the new contract. I am afraid that once the systems marks you being throttled, it won't be able to remove you. Since you're not supposed to be able to upgrade unlimited lines.

We will find out more soon.

lreigh84

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Bump. Any updates on this? There was alot of valuable information in this thread which I appreciate this community posting. Kind of disturbing that this thread has died out. I have 4glte and UDP and am out of contract. I have noticed severe 'optimization'. I can't even browse websites that well, I have to keep reloading them alot. Also it's kind of strange I don't seem to have too much trouble streaming standard def videos off of youtube or netflix. What has been everyone else's experience? Thanks!

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thread died off because Verizon came out and said they decided not to proceed with the throttling.
Once again shout out to Tom Wheeler.

Posted via the Android Central App