YouTube problems on Verizon

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed in the past couple of weeks a that YouTube will not load when I am on LTE. I have had problems on both a Moto x and an lg g2. It doesn't matter what quality I set it to steam at either. It takes forever to buffer and only plays for a few seconds before having to buffer again. My speeds are great at almost 16 mbps down and 5 up. I have also tried it in different areas around the city and it never streams well. Netflix and music streaming work great. Anyone else run into this?

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm also on Verizon 4glte and YouTube sometimes is extremely slow for me even though I have a good connection. I've looked it up and it appears that Verizon is throttling YouTube and Netflix.

Posted via Android Central App

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
You're bleeping kidding. That's been my problem for the last 2 weeks out of the blue, save for one area where I have lunch at work? I'm not even at 5 gigs for the month! So this just got implemented within the last 3 odd weeks?

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Any sources for this throttling info? This is what I am suspecting and I will be very mad if it is true. May even consider switching to at&t or T-Mobile.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is also throttling my YouTube.... Im using supertube to get around the throttling

Unlimited data user
7 gigs used this current monthly cycle.

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember exactly where I found this info but if you google it will pop up also do search on youtube.

Last edited:

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm also on Verizon 4glte and YouTube sometimes is extremely slow for me even though I have a good connection. I've looked it up and it appears that Verizon is throttling YouTube and Netflix.

Is this even for those *not* on unlimited data?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
No issues with YouTube here on Verizon LTE (on unlimited data yet), even with videos in HD. Everything plays right away and no buffering. What version of YouTube is everyone using? I'm still on an old one: 4.0.23 due to all the negative feedback about poor video playback reported in the PlayStore on newer versions. As a test, try uninstalling updates to YouTube (via Application Manager, find YouTube and click "Uninstall updates" to revert it back to an earlier version).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This could be similar to the verizon FiOS Netflix issue. I have similar problem, at certain times on certain towers. I think a vpn might fix the issue as this is probably an interconnection issue between Verizon and Google.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

alxarambula

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine started acting up again and i did what Synycalwon suggested and it stopped constantly buffering.

xiwong

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
This could be similar to the verizon FiOS Netflix issue. I have similar problem, at certain times on certain towers. I think a vpn might fix the issue as this is probably an interconnection issue between Verizon and Google.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

VPN does fix the issue, and it has been my workaround for years. I have had YouTube throttling on Verizon since I got my first LTE phone, but it used to be after binge watching (a lot of videos, maybe an hour or two). Now, its throttling more often, like after 1 or 2 videos.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Tried it, got one video to work, but it was a front page video, the new Hobbit trailer, couple other random videos, nothing. So right now Verizon's 4g+Youtube=dead in the water. My verizon fios, using wifi to connect to my phone, no problem, but Verizon's 4g, where I have a strong signal, just does NOT work with youtube right now.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try an older version tonight. It happens most often when I am at home. I would just use wifi at home but I have other issues on my phone with not receiving mms when wifi is on.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Well I figured out the solution to both of my problems. My ad block app was causing them. I uninstalled it, rebooted my phone and everything is working great.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Well I figured out the solution to both of my problems. My ad block app was causing them. I uninstalled it, rebooted my phone and everything is working great.

What app and hosts file source were you using? I've been using AdAway with just the MVPS blocking hosts file without any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith